At what age did you introduce your kids to Magnum?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rands
Rear Admiral

Re: At what age did you introduce your kids to Magnum?

#11 Post by Rands »

My children who were born in the early 80s, grew up watching Magnum. My employment frequently took me from home, and my daughters enjoyed staying up watching TV with me. Some of the more "difficult" subjects were topics of conversation afterwards, with the military scenes a reality in my household. It was often a mechanism for them to understand the reason why I was gone so frequently, often with little notice. My youngest, now 35, still watches the program.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by perfectlykevin »

My son was started early though I don't know what age exactly. And even then just some of the light-hearted episodes. As he got older we watched more of those. I can't say he is super in to it now but it definitely made an impression at the time :)

Rolie, good to see you here!! :)

Kev

TBOU
Lieutenant

#13 Post by TBOU »

Four, but with very carefully selected episodes: Ugliest Dog, Thank Heaven for Little Girls, etc.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by K Hale »

I don’t have kids but I was 9 when the pilot aired. My parents and I watched the series regularly. Depending on how sensitive the child is, most episodes should be just fine. I can recall being a little upset over “Black on White” and the cage torture scene in “Did You See the Sunrise,” which I found very shocking. Other than that, it was pretty tame stuff.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#15 Post by Mr. Keoki »

I watch the show and my kids have been watching it with me since they were little. From 3 years old to still watching today (8 years old for my youngest). They'll occasionally ask you some interesting questions, but the show is really PG. There are a few exceptions, namely echoes of the mind. Don't want to explain suicide.

So I agree with Marlboro- "the younger the better"

It made going to the tide pool that much more special when we did it, because the entire family was excited. Not just me and the kids want to do something dumb somewhere else.

:luther:
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by eagle »

I can’t find it by searching the forum, but someone somewhere pointed me to Larry’s podcast where he referenced this question. I listened but didn’t save it. Any chance someone here still has that or knows where I can find it? Thanks.

Kee
Lieutenant

#17 Post by Kee »

Well, if I had kids I'd of done it as soon as the age of ten or eleven. Same for Five-O.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by eagle »

Finally found it: http://crntalk.com/larrymanetti/

But the podcast feed is gone, a 404 now. Hopefully someone saved the series or at least the 11/14 episode. Anyone?

And, I have now introduced all my kids, ages 13, 11, and 8, to magnum. They love watching with me.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

My boy is now 7 weeks old and I already introduced him via the MPI ringtone on my phone. Every time my phone rings he hears it. :)

Does that count?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#20 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:52 pm My boy is now 7 weeks old and I already introduced him via the MPI ringtone on my phone. Every time my phone rings he hears it. :)

Does that count?
Congratulations on you new son Ivan!

My kids are both young adults now, in college and employed. We started watching it together when they were around 9 or 10 years old, about the age I originally watched the series when it debuted.

I remember having to explain to them what smuggling was in regards to the pilot. I also used it to explain the war in Vietnam as family members they knew were involved.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by eagle »

Ivan, congratulations, that's awesome! I too use the theme song as my ringtone -- and sometimes I don't answer the phone, just so that I can listen to the song. :D

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by eagle »

If anyone else is interested, Larry's podcast was saved by archive.org, and I was able to download this episode here: https://web.archive.org/web/20171222012 ... rymanetti/

Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Thanks guys! Kids are a blessing I tell ya!! Sometimes you just can't turn away from their cute little faces and expressions that they make, especially at that age. :D

And yes, I've let the phone ring too just so I can listen to the theme song. :lol: I used to have the Five-O theme before this and Knight Rider before that, which was my childhood favorite show. These days I have The A-Team as my alarm clock! Really makes you jump in the morning. :lol:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#24 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:37 pm These days I have The A-Team as my alarm clock! Really makes you jump in the morning. :lol:
This is hilarious. You clearly have an understanding wife.

Congrats on this huge milestone in life. Nothing will ever be the same!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:44 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:37 pm These days I have The A-Team as my alarm clock! Really makes you jump in the morning. :lol:
This is hilarious. You clearly have an understanding wife.

Congrats on this huge milestone in life. Nothing will ever be the same!
I just have to quickly jump to silence it. Definitely can't just let that play while wifey is sleeping. :lol:

Thanks Styles! :)