5 Things You All Probably Already Know About Magnum . . .

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

5 Things You All Probably Already Know About Magnum . . .

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

. . . But I expect we're going to see a lot of these articles with the reboot making news.

http://www.lifezette.com/popzette/five- ... agnum-p-i/
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: 5 Things You All Probably Already Know About Magnum . .

#2 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I already knew about that...
"Jessica Fletcher (played by the great Angela Lansbury) made her way down to Hawaii to solve a string of murders and received the help of Thomas Magnum. It was an odd pairing — but audiences loved it."
I didn't love it. I thought it sucked.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#3 Post by marlboro »

I don't think I've ever heard about Tom Clancy wanting to do a Magnum movie.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Danno »

Yep, knew these, Conch... I often wonder about that Tom Clancy film.
I think it could have worked. The Hunt For Red October is still a favourite.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I'll fess up. I didn't know about the Porsche.

As far as Angela Lansbury goes....her pre-MSW career was much better. She was phenomenal in Gaslight, Kind Lady, and Manchurian Candidate. Lost respect for her when I read how she was a bitch to Tom Selleck while filming.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:Lost respect for her when I read how she was a bitch to Tom Selleck while filming.
Now there's something new for me! Where did you read that?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Mrs. Higgins wrote:Lost respect for her when I read how she was a bitch to Tom Selleck while filming.
Now there's something new for me! Where did you read that?

People Magazine article from November 1986.

http://people.com/archive/to-pump-up-to ... -26-no-20/

A major diva.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#8 Post by marlboro »

I have never found Angela Lansbury to be likeable. On screen, I mean. She was great in The Manchurian Candidate and in Gaslight, but I don't think I ever liked her in anything where I was actually supposed to like her.

Styles Bitchley

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:People Magazine article from November 1986.

A major diva.
Certainly does sound tense on the set! That's a shame. I did like her in Blue Hawaii. Sounds a bit like George Peppard feeling insecure about having condescended to a role on the small screen. He was apparently a bit of a prick on the A-Team set.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#10 Post by marlboro »

“Television acting does not require a great deal of intellectual thought or even a great deal of intelligence. It’s a different style completely from what we use in the theater and mostly in the movies. It’s paper thin, that’s what it is. If you try to look behind the eyes of a lot of television actors, there’s absolutely nothing going on.”

I wonder what her costars on MSW must have thought after reading this quote.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#11 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
L

A major diva.
Certainly does sound tense on the set! That's a shame. I did like her in Blue Hawaii. Sounds a bit like George Peppard feeling insecure about having condescended to a role on the small screen. He was apparently a bit of a prick on the A-Team set.
I certainly hope it wasn’t because he thought A-Team was a step down from Banacek :P . I watched some great American television as a child on the RTÉ network in Ireland. My childhood conception of the U.S. was formed by watching McGarrett and The Johnny Cash Show. I really thought the sun shone everywhere, everyone dressed in black, had a black pompadour and drove long black cars. Later on M.P.I. would light my fire to move to America. So it was out of great nostalgia for those cold, wet, rainy childhood evenings spent watching American shows in my aunt’s house (she had a color telly), with turf burning in the fireplace, that I rented Banacek from Netflix a few years ago. She loved George PEPP-ard (as she pronounced it). Banacek was always an event and she would make tea and ham sandwiches for us. McVitie’s HobNobs biscuits were sure to follow. I was so excited to watch Banacek that I recreated the viewing event as best I could. OH MY GOD! It was some of the worst television I have watched. The show’s hooks were Peppard’s ridiculous smugness, mock turtlenecks and a 1942 Packard. I couldn’t make it past episode 5. The worst episode of the A-Team was Shakespeare compared to the best episode of Banacek. Every time he had a temper tantrum on A-Team I hope Cannell made him watch an episode of Banacek before he could come back on set.
Faith and Begorrah!

Styles Bitchley

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:
L

A major diva.
I certainly hope it wasn’t because he thought A-Team was a step down from Banacek :P . I watched some great American television as a child on the RTÉ network in Ireland. My childhood conception of the U.S. was formed by watching McGarrett and The Johnny Cash Show. I really thought the sun shone everywhere, everyone dressed in black, had a black pompadour and drove long black cars. Later on M.P.I. would light my fire to move to America. So it was out of great nostalgia for those cold, wet, rainy childhood evenings spent watching American shows in my aunt’s house (she had a color telly), with turf burning in the fireplace, that I rented Banacek from Netflix a few years ago. She loved George PEPP-ard (as she pronounced it). Banacek was always an event and she would make tea and ham sandwiches for us. McVitie’s HobNobs biscuits were sure to follow. I was so excited to watch Banacek that I recreated the viewing event as best I could. OH MY GOD! It was some of the worst television I have watched. The show’s hooks were Peppard’s ridiculous smugness, mock turtlenecks and a 1942 Packard. I couldn’t make it past episode 5. The worst episode of the A-Team was Shakespeare compared to the best episode of Banacek. Every time he had a temper tantrum on A-Team I hope Cannell made him watch an episode of Banacek before he could come back on set.
Thanks for sharing Paddy. That was great. I’ve never seen an episode of Banaecek, but I happened to read the satire of it in a vintage copy of Mad Magazine recently. Sounds like it was probably better than real thing!

- J.Q.H.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#13 Post by marlboro »

What I remember most about Banacek was the fact that they constantly hammered on the fact that he was Polish. It seemed like it was brought up in every episode and sometimes more than once. It was incredibly silly.

I love older tv shows, but I can't say I miss the shows where the characterization consisted of a characters physical description or country of origin.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

marlboro wrote:I have never found Angela Lansbury to be likeable. On screen, I mean. She was great in The Manchurian Candidate and in Gaslight, but I don't think I ever liked her in anything where I was actually supposed to like her.
I was reading the Equalizer thread in the "other shows" part of the forum and something came up about the Magnum/Equalizer crossover. http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3208

So, I breezed through the bonus disc included with the Equalizer boxed set. Coleman Luck (Co-Executive Producer) stated in an interview (I'm paraphrasing) that because Angela Lansbury demanded so much money when her contract was up for renewal, it created a rift between Universal and CBS. This led to the Equalizer not getting renewed for a 5th season. Now I REALLY dislike her. :evil:
I'm a Boxley Girl....