Rick's SECOND arrest in Episode 21 of Season 7

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

NaftaliG
Ensign

Rick's SECOND arrest in Episode 21 of Season 7

#1 Post by NaftaliG »

Aloha fellow Magnumaniacs!

I just saw a discussion on this wonderful website about Rick Wright’s second arrest, at the end of the episode, “The People vs. Orville Wright” (April 1, 1987). I have a few points of clarification. First, Rick is not arrested for having an AK- 47, as a few people stated, unchallenged, on this wonderful site. What Carol says is, verbatim from the show transcript, “Section 6861D, possession of illegal weapons; Section 5861S, altering weapons”. The AK-47 is not specified, and the warrant mentions multiple weaponS, not just one.

Here’s another very important point. When the question is asked how Rick got off the charges, somebody on the site stated it was because of a technicality of the warrant (which is what Carol had from the federal agent) being in the name “Rick” as opposed to his real name “Orville”. First of all, there is no way the Federal prosecutor would have a warrant made out to a nickname. He would not even know Rick’s nickname. Yes of course Carol knows it, but a local DA would never have been involved in the drawing up of a warrant by the feds. The DA’s office is part of the state government. Cases brought by federal agencies like the FBI or the Secret Service are prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's office for that Federal district, acting as an arm of the Justice Department, i.e. the Feds. So the Feds wouldn’t ever have involved a local DA like Carol in neither drawing up the warrant nor in the arrest. Even local cops don’t do that - they secure the arrest warrant from the DA, but they serve it themselves. The Feds most definitely would have made the arrest on their own, and the DA would have had no place being there. Lastly, the idea of two such serious charges, with a potential sentence of ten years in prison for each, being dropped because of such an absurd technicality is zero. You can’t be tried twice for the same crime (i.e. double jeopardy), but a warrant, or even an indictment, can most certainly be modified, added to, or lessened based on new or corrected info. The premise of such grave charges being dropped based on the nickname being used on the arrest warrant is absurd, and unusually sloppy for the Magnum writers. Very disappointing.....

Keep up the great work, Steve! All the Magnumaniacs appreciate you for it...

Sincerely,

Dr. Norman Gold