A New Reboot

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

A New Reboot

#1 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

From the producer of H5O & MacGyver. I may need a new meme.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/magnum-pi-r ... 202192310/
Faith and Begorrah!

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

Re: A New Reboot

#2 Post by Kate Sullivan »

Having seen a few episodes of the rebooted MacGyver, I really really hope this doesn't happen. Lenkov is the last person on earth I would want anywhere near a Magnum reboot.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Here we go again ....
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

Selleck gave it his blessing. If he and Bellisario (not even mentioned in the article!)can somehow be involved in at the very least the outline of the show I would give it a chance....

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

#5 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

The people who grew up on the original won't like the reboot, but newer audiences might like it enough for it to fill a time slot somewhere. These days there are so many outlets to fill up with content. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Apple, all the legacy networks, all the cable drama channels, the list goes on. The biz is reaching for formulas that worked. Magnum PI definitely worked. So I'm not surprised it's finally found a production company to give it a try. As for Selleck, he probably stopped caring a long time ago when it would have mattered to him as an actor and producer who could have reprised the role.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Steve wrote:Selleck gave it his blessing. If he and Bellisario (not even mentioned in the article!)can somehow be involved in at the very least the outline of the show I would give it a chance....
I have my doubts about Tom's "blessing", but since it's at CBS now he probably can't protest too much and he and Moonves are buddies.

I like the H50 reboot, but mostly because I don't like the original so I don't care about any changes they made. Lenkov has already borrowed so much from Magnum for the new H50, what's he got left for a Magnum reboot? Just the names?

ConchRepublican

#7 Post by ConchRepublican »

I don't see how "disavowed former MI:6 agent Juliet Higgins" can work.

One of the main threads in the show is the relationship between Magnum and Higgins - the former soldiers (Vietnam and WW II) and the quasi father figure Higgins provides for Thomas whose father was a pilot who was shot down in Korea. Changing that relationship changes everything.
CoziTV Superfan spot

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I agree with you Conch. If all the characters are from the same generation a lot of the themes won't work including the differences between JQH's war and TM's war (both the real differences and the public's perception).

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#9 Post by Kate Sullivan »

ConchRepublican wrote:I don't see how "disavowed former MI:6 agent Juliet Higgins" can work.

One of the main threads in the show is the relationship between Magnum and Higgins - the former soldiers (Vietnam and WW II) and the quasi father figure Higgins provides for Thomas whose father was a pilot who was shot down in Korea. Changing that relationship changes everything.
I completely agree. But if the MacGyver reboot is anything to go by, the characters and relationships between them will be irrelevant - it'll all be about gun-fights, car chases and explosions. The characters will be one dimensional and will bear no resemblance to the originals except for their names.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

The Lily "Tommy" Magnum version sounded better to me. At least they could have incorporated the original characters and cast in that one. I wonder if they would have a Hawaiian Estate and a Robin Masters in this reboot......

ConchRepublican

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:The Lily "Tommy" Magnum version sounded better to me. At least they could have incorporated the original characters and cast in that one. I wonder if they would have a Hawaiian Estate and a Robin Masters in this reboot......
Exactly, Eva was on the right path even if she didn't "get" the show.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Rands
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by Rands »

It looks like I picked a wonderful day to see how things are going on Magnum Mania! Sorry for the long absence, but family commitments, and the injuries that retired me have been my primary concern.

As to the thoughts of a Magnum PI reboot, having CBS pick up the torch, is better than ABC trying to carry it. Hopefully, CBS will have some institution knowledge as to Magnum PI, and the characters we have enjoyed. So Far, CBS's reboot of Hawaii 5-O, has been very successful, and as has been opined here, much of the show's success has been gunfights, car chases, and pretty women. CBS did develop good "character relationships" adding a dimension to the show.

As to the reboot of MacGyver, I wasn't a fan of the original show, and the reboot didn't live up to my lowest expectations. Being honest, I was quite busy when the original series ran. My first former spouse, (Yes, I do have to number them) was a big fan of the original show, but at the time I was very busy dealing with real events that were quite dangerous. She loved the way MacGyver could make something out of nothing especially things that went "bang". Of course, I was actually dealing with things that really did go "bang" and hoping that I was going to see the next sunrise. So color me jaded.

Returning to the possible Magnum remake, the show could only be successful with both good character development, and an on screen relationship of the original. Just having fast cars, beautiful women, and a few gun battles, won't make the reboot a success. It is imperative, that CBS use very good technical advisors, and actually have the actors that they have cast, spend time with REAL Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, Airmen, or Coasties. Reading about, or watching someone else do something, is nothing compared to hands on experience.

In that regard, last Saturday, October 14th, I was in downtown Los Angeles, and stumbled across the filming to the new CBS Swat series. I found it rather comical, that actual LAPD Officers were providing traffic support for the show, while the know nothing actors were walking around in black BDU trousers, black short sleeved shirts, and black magazine chest vests. I exchanged a look with one of the real LAPD officers, who stood there just shaking his head. Not having seen the pilot of the new SWAT show, I'm already going to cross it off my viewing list.

I could say the same thing about many of the recent Navy SEAL inspired programs. The first one filmed, "SIX", was actually pretty good, and had numerous former SEALs as advisors. Just like the movie AMERICAN SNIPER, who actually had a member of Chris Kyle's team, Kevin Lacz, who was both an advisor, and actor playing himself in the movie. It was incredible in its authenticity, and its effect on the viewing audience.

Hopefully, CBS will make the same effort to produce the reboot Magnum PI.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Rands wrote:It looks like I picked a wonderful day to see how things are going on Magnum Mania! Sorry for the long absence, but family commitments, and the injuries that retired me have been my primary concern.
Returning to the possible Magnum remake, the show could only be successful with both good character development, and an on screen relationship of the original. Just having fast cars, beautiful women, and a few gun battles, won't make the reboot a success. It is imperative, that CBS use very good technical advisors, and actually have the actors that they have cast, spend time with REAL Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, Airmen, or Coasties. Reading about, or watching someone else do something, is nothing compared to hands on experience.
Hi Rand,
Your post is spot on. Modern Hollywood would definitely benefit from using more tech advisers and training actors so they have a clue about what they are portraying.
That wan't always the case, Claude Akins and Frank Converse learned to drive the big rigs for Movin' On. Lee Marvin thought the whole Combat! production was overall pretty realistic so he worked for scale just to appear on it, though he did give some tips to the actors on infantry tactics. He also got them roaring drunk after work one time, come the Dawn the others were literally immobile and praying for a quick death on the grounds of their French village set whilst Lee reported in ready to film.
Oliver Stone held a boot camp for weeks for the actors of Platoon under the direction of Captain Dale Dye before the 'shooting' started. Forest Tucker was actually a ex cavalryman so he fit right in in F Troop.
Short and stout Lou Costello famously on the court dismantled a snotty basketball instructor brought in to teach him the game for a role where Lou played a female college basketball player. Unknown to the instructor and Universal who hired him, Lou was an all state high school player and a legend on the courts of Patterson, NJ. All the amazing trick shots in Here Comes the Co-eds were done by Lou.
Nowadays, with most kids growing up in darkened rooms playing computer games, their parents entering every few hours to turn them towards the sun, there isn't much chance of them bringing anything to the table when they enter their acting career like a Audie Murphy did.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

In that regard, last Saturday, October 14th, I was in downtown Los Angeles, and stumbled across the filming to the new CBS Swat series. I found it rather comical, that actual LAPD Officers were providing traffic support for the show, while the know nothing actors were walking around in black BDU trousers, black short sleeved shirts, and black magazine chest vests. I exchanged a look with one of the real LAPD officers, who stood there just shaking his head. Not having seen the pilot of the new SWAT show, I'm already going to cross it off my viewing list.
It hasn't aired yet, but I saw a promo for it last night and I cracked up at how ridiculous it looks. CBS must have said which one of these ideas can we waste the most money on? SWAT! Let's make that one!

Peter Lenkov did send Alex O'Loughlin to observe and participate in a BUDs class before H50, so there's some hope for that here I guess. I agree with Conch and others that a sequel is a better idea than a reboot. Even though CBS seems pleased with the work Lenkov does for them, I still have my doubts that this ever gets off the ground. I have theory that P.I. shows don't make it today because a lowly P.I. would not have all the tactical gear, magic computers, and forensic labs that all present day set crime dramas use now. So how could it be remotely believable that a private investigator could catch bad guys that the cops can't catch?

Rands
Rear Admiral

#15 Post by Rands »

In the Hawaii Five-O reboot, one of my favorite characters has been PI Harry Brown. The character Harry Brown (William Forsythe), being a retired HPD officer, is one of those classic American PI characters, to include the voice overs. Harry's lines are especially effective, boiling down the most obscure scenario into a well said comment. An example is from Season 5, Episode 10, where Harry's voiceover is: "The American Dream - some find it. Others don't. Then there are the unlucky few who die trying. This gal was one of those."

For all of those old enough to remember the classic American PIs, the Philip Marlowes, the Sam Spades, the Mike Hammers, the Spenser for Hires, the genre seems unending. But, it's hard to sell those classic investigators, in a day and age of the internet, and high speed electronics.