A New Reboot

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: A New Reboot

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:The Lily "Tommy" Magnum version sounded better to me. At least they could have incorporated the original characters and cast in that one. I wonder if they would have a Hawaiian Estate and a Robin Masters in this reboot......
Exactly, Eva was on the right path even if she didn't "get" the show.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Rands
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by Rands »

It looks like I picked a wonderful day to see how things are going on Magnum Mania! Sorry for the long absence, but family commitments, and the injuries that retired me have been my primary concern.

As to the thoughts of a Magnum PI reboot, having CBS pick up the torch, is better than ABC trying to carry it. Hopefully, CBS will have some institution knowledge as to Magnum PI, and the characters we have enjoyed. So Far, CBS's reboot of Hawaii 5-O, has been very successful, and as has been opined here, much of the show's success has been gunfights, car chases, and pretty women. CBS did develop good "character relationships" adding a dimension to the show.

As to the reboot of MacGyver, I wasn't a fan of the original show, and the reboot didn't live up to my lowest expectations. Being honest, I was quite busy when the original series ran. My first former spouse, (Yes, I do have to number them) was a big fan of the original show, but at the time I was very busy dealing with real events that were quite dangerous. She loved the way MacGyver could make something out of nothing especially things that went "bang". Of course, I was actually dealing with things that really did go "bang" and hoping that I was going to see the next sunrise. So color me jaded.

Returning to the possible Magnum remake, the show could only be successful with both good character development, and an on screen relationship of the original. Just having fast cars, beautiful women, and a few gun battles, won't make the reboot a success. It is imperative, that CBS use very good technical advisors, and actually have the actors that they have cast, spend time with REAL Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, Airmen, or Coasties. Reading about, or watching someone else do something, is nothing compared to hands on experience.

In that regard, last Saturday, October 14th, I was in downtown Los Angeles, and stumbled across the filming to the new CBS Swat series. I found it rather comical, that actual LAPD Officers were providing traffic support for the show, while the know nothing actors were walking around in black BDU trousers, black short sleeved shirts, and black magazine chest vests. I exchanged a look with one of the real LAPD officers, who stood there just shaking his head. Not having seen the pilot of the new SWAT show, I'm already going to cross it off my viewing list.

I could say the same thing about many of the recent Navy SEAL inspired programs. The first one filmed, "SIX", was actually pretty good, and had numerous former SEALs as advisors. Just like the movie AMERICAN SNIPER, who actually had a member of Chris Kyle's team, Kevin Lacz, who was both an advisor, and actor playing himself in the movie. It was incredible in its authenticity, and its effect on the viewing audience.

Hopefully, CBS will make the same effort to produce the reboot Magnum PI.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Rands wrote:It looks like I picked a wonderful day to see how things are going on Magnum Mania! Sorry for the long absence, but family commitments, and the injuries that retired me have been my primary concern.
Returning to the possible Magnum remake, the show could only be successful with both good character development, and an on screen relationship of the original. Just having fast cars, beautiful women, and a few gun battles, won't make the reboot a success. It is imperative, that CBS use very good technical advisors, and actually have the actors that they have cast, spend time with REAL Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, Airmen, or Coasties. Reading about, or watching someone else do something, is nothing compared to hands on experience.
Hi Rand,
Your post is spot on. Modern Hollywood would definitely benefit from using more tech advisers and training actors so they have a clue about what they are portraying.
That wan't always the case, Claude Akins and Frank Converse learned to drive the big rigs for Movin' On. Lee Marvin thought the whole Combat! production was overall pretty realistic so he worked for scale just to appear on it, though he did give some tips to the actors on infantry tactics. He also got them roaring drunk after work one time, come the Dawn the others were literally immobile and praying for a quick death on the grounds of their French village set whilst Lee reported in ready to film.
Oliver Stone held a boot camp for weeks for the actors of Platoon under the direction of Captain Dale Dye before the 'shooting' started. Forest Tucker was actually a ex cavalryman so he fit right in in F Troop.
Short and stout Lou Costello famously on the court dismantled a snotty basketball instructor brought in to teach him the game for a role where Lou played a female college basketball player. Unknown to the instructor and Universal who hired him, Lou was an all state high school player and a legend on the courts of Patterson, NJ. All the amazing trick shots in Here Comes the Co-eds were done by Lou.
Nowadays, with most kids growing up in darkened rooms playing computer games, their parents entering every few hours to turn them towards the sun, there isn't much chance of them bringing anything to the table when they enter their acting career like a Audie Murphy did.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

In that regard, last Saturday, October 14th, I was in downtown Los Angeles, and stumbled across the filming to the new CBS Swat series. I found it rather comical, that actual LAPD Officers were providing traffic support for the show, while the know nothing actors were walking around in black BDU trousers, black short sleeved shirts, and black magazine chest vests. I exchanged a look with one of the real LAPD officers, who stood there just shaking his head. Not having seen the pilot of the new SWAT show, I'm already going to cross it off my viewing list.
It hasn't aired yet, but I saw a promo for it last night and I cracked up at how ridiculous it looks. CBS must have said which one of these ideas can we waste the most money on? SWAT! Let's make that one!

Peter Lenkov did send Alex O'Loughlin to observe and participate in a BUDs class before H50, so there's some hope for that here I guess. I agree with Conch and others that a sequel is a better idea than a reboot. Even though CBS seems pleased with the work Lenkov does for them, I still have my doubts that this ever gets off the ground. I have theory that P.I. shows don't make it today because a lowly P.I. would not have all the tactical gear, magic computers, and forensic labs that all present day set crime dramas use now. So how could it be remotely believable that a private investigator could catch bad guys that the cops can't catch?

Rands
Rear Admiral

#15 Post by Rands »

In the Hawaii Five-O reboot, one of my favorite characters has been PI Harry Brown. The character Harry Brown (William Forsythe), being a retired HPD officer, is one of those classic American PI characters, to include the voice overs. Harry's lines are especially effective, boiling down the most obscure scenario into a well said comment. An example is from Season 5, Episode 10, where Harry's voiceover is: "The American Dream - some find it. Others don't. Then there are the unlucky few who die trying. This gal was one of those."

For all of those old enough to remember the classic American PIs, the Philip Marlowes, the Sam Spades, the Mike Hammers, the Spenser for Hires, the genre seems unending. But, it's hard to sell those classic investigators, in a day and age of the internet, and high speed electronics.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#16 Post by BWheelz54 »

Oh, I soooo want to feel excited about this, but I'm already feeling suspicious about the show. I like what Conch says concerning the "Juliet Higgins" pitch. Old Jonathan Quayle Higgins was really so central to the original Magnum, to me anyway. That character continues to pull me back, and back, and back to the show. Higgins was in the background with all this hidden context about him that gave the show heart. I don't like hearing the new folks are changing that character, makes me think they really don't get it.

But if they make, I will give an episode or two a watch. Who knows? I still think we need a show like Magnum these days. I'm hoping they remember to get the substance into the series. I guess we'll see.

Rands
Rear Admiral

#17 Post by Rands »

As to the Magnum PI cast we all know, each has experience that in my mind aided their portrayal of their character. John Hillerman is a veteran, serving in the United States Air Force. No doubt, his military service aided his portrayal of SGM Jonathan Higgins. Tom Selleck is a veteran serving in the Army National Guard during Vietnam. I'm sure this too, aided his portrayal of Magnum. Roger Mosley is a helicopter pilot, who flew chartered aircraft out of Burbank Airport, when Magnum PI ended. There is no doubt, that his actual flight hours, greatly aided his portrayal of TC. Unfortunately, I have no idea as to Larry Manetti's experience prior to acting.

BWheelz54 us absolutely correct as to the necessity of SGM Higgins character to the success of Magnum PI. SGM Higgins provided the wisdom, and sounding board for both Magnum, TC, and Rick, acting as both substitute father and leader for them all. From my own military service, I cannot tell you how many times the wisdom of these grizzled veterans, kept me from "reinventing the wheel". There is a reason why almost every leadership position in the ground services (Army, Marine Corps), is duplicative with both officer and NCO, balancing the youth and vigor of a young officer, with the steady, experienced hand of his sergeant. So, in a nutshell, I'm not so sure about a Juliet Higgins.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#18 Post by marlboro »

I have no doubt it will suck. Looking on the bright side, it might stir up some interest in the old show. We may even get a few new members here. Another benefit is that it might increase our chances of getting a high quality BR release.

Last edited by marlboro on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MagnumILWU »

"pickled egg please"

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#20 Post by marlboro »

Wasn't a big part of the Higgins/Magnum relationship a father/son thing? Magnum's real father died when TM was young. I've always thought that Higgy-baby acted as sort of a surrogate father for Magnum's his "I woke up one day, age 33, and realized I'd never been 23" phase. What are the chances "Juliet Higgins" is really really hot?

Other things I don't think a modern remake can recapture:

Afghanistan is not Vietnam. 2020 is not 1980. Higgins English Empire origins are long in the past so the characters change in gender won't be the only issue. Modern tech sucks out all of the fun of traditional detective shows. And finally, what are the odds that the creators and cast will catch lightening in a bottle and be able to pull off the breakneck changes between comedy, action, and drama that the original excelled at?

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by KingKC »

marlboro wrote: Modern tech sucks out all of the fun of traditional detective shows.
I have to agree with this statement completely. It one of the main reasons why I don't watch things like McGyver and Hawaii Five-0. That and other shows like NCIS New Orleans and Los Angeles which have too much emphasis on terrorism and international drug smuggling. I started a thread some time ago about newer private detective shows and there really haven't been any since the late eighties that were pure private detective/gumshoe type shows. One show I missed that I would love to see in reruns is Veronica Mars. I heard it was fun to watch.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Why is Magnum always the show that gets tossed around for re-making? Why do we never hear about possible reboots or sequels to The Rockford Files or Columbo or Mannix?

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MagnumILWU »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Why is Magnum always the show that gets tossed around for re-making? Why do we never hear about possible reboots or sequels to The Rockford Files or Columbo or Mannix?
If you click on the earlier comment I made, the Hollywood Reporter article lists several other shows they might reboot!
"pickled egg please"

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

MagnumILWU wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Why is Magnum always the show that gets tossed around for re-making? Why do we never hear about possible reboots or sequels to The Rockford Files or Columbo or Mannix?
If you click on the earlier comment I made, the Hollywood Reporter article lists several other shows they might reboot!
The only one of those shows mentioned in the article that's even a little bit close to the ones I mentioned is Starsky & Hutch. I chose those 3 to compare to Magnum because those three have the character's name as the title. The point I'm making is that it is much more difficult to remake a show where the actor is the character and the character is the actor. It would be like trying to remake The Andy Griffith Show or The Cosby Show. It won't work.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#25 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I'm having trouble figuring out the new vision of the Higgins/Magnum relationship too. If she's young and hot and there's a sexual tension between the two while living together on the estate, it would be a completely different sort of show. If, however, she's much older character - say, similar to the reimagined M played by Judi Dench in the newer Bond movies - it could work. I'm not putting too much energy into this one though. Like the other seemingly sure thing reboots over the past several years, this one could just as easily fizzle. Whether I like it or not, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they come up with.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.