A New Reboot

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: A New Reboot

#21 Post by KingKC »

marlboro wrote: Modern tech sucks out all of the fun of traditional detective shows.
I have to agree with this statement completely. It one of the main reasons why I don't watch things like McGyver and Hawaii Five-0. That and other shows like NCIS New Orleans and Los Angeles which have too much emphasis on terrorism and international drug smuggling. I started a thread some time ago about newer private detective shows and there really haven't been any since the late eighties that were pure private detective/gumshoe type shows. One show I missed that I would love to see in reruns is Veronica Mars. I heard it was fun to watch.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Why is Magnum always the show that gets tossed around for re-making? Why do we never hear about possible reboots or sequels to The Rockford Files or Columbo or Mannix?

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MagnumILWU »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Why is Magnum always the show that gets tossed around for re-making? Why do we never hear about possible reboots or sequels to The Rockford Files or Columbo or Mannix?
If you click on the earlier comment I made, the Hollywood Reporter article lists several other shows they might reboot!
"pickled egg please"

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

MagnumILWU wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Why is Magnum always the show that gets tossed around for re-making? Why do we never hear about possible reboots or sequels to The Rockford Files or Columbo or Mannix?
If you click on the earlier comment I made, the Hollywood Reporter article lists several other shows they might reboot!
The only one of those shows mentioned in the article that's even a little bit close to the ones I mentioned is Starsky & Hutch. I chose those 3 to compare to Magnum because those three have the character's name as the title. The point I'm making is that it is much more difficult to remake a show where the actor is the character and the character is the actor. It would be like trying to remake The Andy Griffith Show or The Cosby Show. It won't work.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#25 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I'm having trouble figuring out the new vision of the Higgins/Magnum relationship too. If she's young and hot and there's a sexual tension between the two while living together on the estate, it would be a completely different sort of show. If, however, she's much older character - say, similar to the reimagined M played by Judi Dench in the newer Bond movies - it could work. I'm not putting too much energy into this one though. Like the other seemingly sure thing reboots over the past several years, this one could just as easily fizzle. Whether I like it or not, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they come up with.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

"JULIET Higgins"????

NO, just NO!

NO NO NO NO NO! :evil:
I'm a Boxley Girl....

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

#27 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

This article from The Guardian nails it pretty good.
Magnum PI, for crying out loud. Is nothing sacred? Sure, on the surface, the original Magnum PI was just one of a glut of post-Vietnam shows about vigilante justice with a charismatic male lead and storylines that wrapped up neatly at the top of the hour. But it was special. Everyone knows it was special. By some absurd alchemy Magnum PI ended up perfectly written, perfectly cast and perfectly soundtracked, managing to be both of its time and utterly timeless. You don’t mess with Magnum PI.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... eboot-hell

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by 308GUY »

MagnumsGMTMaster wrote:This article from The Guardian nails it pretty good.
Magnum PI, for crying out loud. Is nothing sacred? Sure, on the surface, the original Magnum PI was just one of a glut of post-Vietnam shows about vigilante justice with a charismatic male lead and storylines that wrapped up neatly at the top of the hour. But it was special. Everyone knows it was special. By some absurd alchemy Magnum PI ended up perfectly written, perfectly cast and perfectly soundtracked, managing to be both of its time and utterly timeless. You don’t mess with Magnum PI.

"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Well, that 's a pretty interesting article from a British newspaper. Funny he mentioned the two (Columbo & Rockford) I mentioned earlier! Can we forward it to Les Moonves?

Everybody keeps saying Lenkov is producing it, but he's not; he's only writing the pilot.

layne
Vice Admiral

#30 Post by layne »

I'm not sure how I feel about the remake. Would love to have TS be a part of it. Maybe he gave his blessing because he will be a part of it? Either in front or behind the camera? Not sure I'll watch. Will be hard to not compare everything to the original.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by MagnumILWU »

layne wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about the remake. Would love to have TS be a part of it. Maybe he gave his blessing because he will be a part of it? Either in front or behind the camera? Not sure I'll watch. Will be hard to not compare everything to the original.
https://youtu.be/pl5MFd0ezpU
"pickled egg please"

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#32 Post by Kate Sullivan »

That's a great article. I love this paragraph, he is so very right -

Worse, the new Magnum will be produced by Paul Lenkov, who has made a cottage industry of watering down shows you used to love. Lenkov was also the mastermind behind the Hawaii Five-O and MacGyver reboots, which should be enough to give you pause. His speciality seems to be taking good, sturdy, landmark shows – shows which were undeniably key parts of the cultural landscape first time around – and turning them into wallpaper. His versions are bright and lively and absolutely hollow, full of grinning haircuts who operate without any meaningful motivation. They’re empty calories. They’re things designed to make noise in the background while you look up recipes on your phone. I’ve tried watching Lenkov’s Hawaii Five-O. I really have, multiple times, but it’s impossible. There’s no weight to it. It’s like watching mist.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#33 Post by ConchRepublican »

Beat me too it, I was just about to share this here.

They nail it without even touching on the Higgins/Magnum relationship that the reboot is proposing to change.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Steve »

So, I am guessing that this is already green lighted and am thinking that maybe we should start coming up with our suggestions for an actor to play Thomas Magnum. I am fairly certain the Magnum Mania site would get some research traffic as it is one of the first sites that comes up on Google when trying to find some info on the show. That being said, some of the requirements should be:

1) A fairly unknown actor somewhere in the mid-thirties range...
2) Has that aura that men want to be like and women swoon over..
3) Facial hair? open depending on the actor but I am guessing he will at the very least have that 5 o'clock shadow look....
4) Athletic to the point that they actually played some sports growing up and the audience can tell they are not faking... swimming, playing baseball, football, volleyball, and most important...running!

I am guessing that it will likely be an actor from Australia or Great Britain as so many young actors in America seem to have been woosified by growing up with participation trophies and trying to navigate a PC culture that may have gone a tad too far. (I am thinking of the two Ryans)

My choice would have been the surfer Laird Hamilton until I read he is in his fifties but, perhaps he could pull it off and am having a hard time coming up with others...

SUGGESTIONS?.......................

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#35 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:So, I am guessing that this is already green lighted and am thinking that maybe we should start coming up with our suggestions for an actor to play Thomas Magnum. I am fairly certain the Magnum Mania site would get some research traffic as it is one of the first sites that comes up on Google when trying to find some info on the show. That being said, some of the requirements should be:

1) A fairly unknown actor somewhere in the mid-thirties range...
2) Has that aura that men want to be like and women swoon over..
3) Facial hair? open depending on the actor but I am guessing he will at the very least have that 5 o'clock shadow look....
4) Athletic to the point that they actually played some sports growing up and the audience can tell they are not faking... swimming, playing baseball, football, volleyball, and most important...running!

I am guessing that it will likely be an actor from Australia or Great Britain as so many young actors in America seem to have been woosified by growing up with participation trophies and trying to navigate a PC culture that may have gone a tad too far. (I am thinking of the two Ryans)

My choice would have been the surfer Laird Hamilton until I read he is in his fifties but, perhaps he could pull it off and am having a hard time coming up with others...

SUGGESTIONS?.......................
I can't . . . :cry:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04