A New Reboot

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: A New Reboot

#41 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Judging on how they cast things these days, I'll bet Rick will be Chinese and the Higgins woman will be Indian/white mix. They'll keep TC black. They only re-cast previously white characters.

I think characters should ALWAYS be as they were originally. What the hell - a woman Doctor Who, a black James Bond? Should a remake of Roots feature Japanese and Norwegians?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Steve »

Cagliostro wrote: Oh and lady Higgins just sounds super weird, but also makes me sad we never saw Soo Ling Higgins on MPI Classic.
I am trying to picture Hillerman dressed up as an Asian woman and on a wild adventure with Agatha.. :lol:

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Judging on how they cast things these days, I'll bet Rick will be Chinese and the Higgins woman will be Indian/white mix. They'll keep TC black. They only re-cast previously white characters.

I think characters should ALWAYS be as they were originally. What the hell - a woman Doctor Who, a black James Bond? Should a remake of Roots feature Japanese and Norwegians?
Judging how things are in Hollywood these days...
Higgins will be a lesbian and Agatha her trans partner.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:Judging how things are in Hollywood these days...
:D Yes. You're right. That's probably what they'll do.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#45 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Judging on how they cast things these days, I'll bet Rick will be Chinese and the Higgins woman will be Indian/white mix. They'll keep TC black. They only re-cast previously white characters.

A.disturbing thought.

Not understanding the Magnum-Higgins relationship changes the show drastically, even a mother figure doesn't work ....
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#46 Post by marlboro »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:

"OUTrageous!"

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#47 Post by Cagliostro »

Isn’t the Doctor not even human? Also if I remember correctly there were plans for a female Doctor back in the day before the BBC screwed over the show. That said I agree with you for the most part.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

There weren't plans for a female Doctor. It was a joke by Tom Baker, just to screw with the news interviewer when he got tired of answering questions about his successor. Yes, the Doctor is an alien, but a male alien. He had a granddaughter who called him grandfather.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Cagliostro wrote:I’m really not feeling this reboot, I’ve watched the new Hawaii Five-0 since the beginning and I can’t see this reboot working if it’s going to have that vibe, it just won’t work. It was touched on already that 2019/2020 isn’t 1980, and my first thought is that when MPI Classic premiered the Vietnam War has been over for more than five years, the war in Afghanistan is STILL ongoing that’s going to make the reboot have a completely different vibe. Frankly I don’t think the magic can be captured again. Oh and lady Higgins just sounds super weird, but also makes me sad we never saw Soo Ling Higgins on MPI Classic.
Good points, Cagliostro. As regards Hawaii 5-0 and it's reboot:
Tonite I just watched the 1970 episode "The Reunion" of Hawaii 5-0, on METV. This single episode has more quality than the entire run of the new Hawaii 5-0. Simon Oakland's performance alone as a crippled vet blows away anything seen on the hollow new version. A home run in every way, not dated at all in spite of it focusing on then middle aged WW 2 vets. The writing, direction, action and visuals all seem modern despite being 47 years old. In years to come Classic Hawaii 5-0 will still be viewed while the reboot, a mere echo of the original, will be buried and forgotten in a kitty litter box somewhere in deepest Outer Mongolia.

Higgins: Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. [Magnum makes an excited face] Very well, you can have one too.