A New Reboot

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Re: A New Reboot

#31 Post by MagnumILWU »

layne wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about the remake. Would love to have TS be a part of it. Maybe he gave his blessing because he will be a part of it? Either in front or behind the camera? Not sure I'll watch. Will be hard to not compare everything to the original.
https://youtu.be/pl5MFd0ezpU
"pickled egg please"

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#32 Post by Kate Sullivan »

MagnumsGMTMaster wrote:This article from The Guardian nails it pretty good.
Magnum PI, for crying out loud. Is nothing sacred? Sure, on the surface, the original Magnum PI was just one of a glut of post-Vietnam shows about vigilante justice with a charismatic male lead and storylines that wrapped up neatly at the top of the hour. But it was special. Everyone knows it was special. By some absurd alchemy Magnum PI ended up perfectly written, perfectly cast and perfectly soundtracked, managing to be both of its time and utterly timeless. You don’t mess with Magnum PI.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... eboot-hell
That's a great article. I love this paragraph, he is so very right -

Worse, the new Magnum will be produced by Paul Lenkov, who has made a cottage industry of watering down shows you used to love. Lenkov was also the mastermind behind the Hawaii Five-O and MacGyver reboots, which should be enough to give you pause. His speciality seems to be taking good, sturdy, landmark shows – shows which were undeniably key parts of the cultural landscape first time around – and turning them into wallpaper. His versions are bright and lively and absolutely hollow, full of grinning haircuts who operate without any meaningful motivation. They’re empty calories. They’re things designed to make noise in the background while you look up recipes on your phone. I’ve tried watching Lenkov’s Hawaii Five-O. I really have, multiple times, but it’s impossible. There’s no weight to it. It’s like watching mist.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#33 Post by ConchRepublican »

MagnumsGMTMaster wrote:This article from The Guardian nails it pretty good.
Magnum PI, for crying out loud. Is nothing sacred? Sure, on the surface, the original Magnum PI was just one of a glut of post-Vietnam shows about vigilante justice with a charismatic male lead and storylines that wrapped up neatly at the top of the hour. But it was special. Everyone knows it was special. By some absurd alchemy Magnum PI ended up perfectly written, perfectly cast and perfectly soundtracked, managing to be both of its time and utterly timeless. You don’t mess with Magnum PI.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... eboot-hell
Beat me too it, I was just about to share this here.

They nail it without even touching on the Higgins/Magnum relationship that the reboot is proposing to change.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Steve »

So, I am guessing that this is already green lighted and am thinking that maybe we should start coming up with our suggestions for an actor to play Thomas Magnum. I am fairly certain the Magnum Mania site would get some research traffic as it is one of the first sites that comes up on Google when trying to find some info on the show. That being said, some of the requirements should be:

1) A fairly unknown actor somewhere in the mid-thirties range...
2) Has that aura that men want to be like and women swoon over..
3) Facial hair? open depending on the actor but I am guessing he will at the very least have that 5 o'clock shadow look....
4) Athletic to the point that they actually played some sports growing up and the audience can tell they are not faking... swimming, playing baseball, football, volleyball, and most important...running!

I am guessing that it will likely be an actor from Australia or Great Britain as so many young actors in America seem to have been woosified by growing up with participation trophies and trying to navigate a PC culture that may have gone a tad too far. (I am thinking of the two Ryans)

My choice would have been the surfer Laird Hamilton until I read he is in his fifties but, perhaps he could pull it off and am having a hard time coming up with others...

SUGGESTIONS?.......................

ConchRepublican

#35 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:So, I am guessing that this is already green lighted and am thinking that maybe we should start coming up with our suggestions for an actor to play Thomas Magnum. I am fairly certain the Magnum Mania site would get some research traffic as it is one of the first sites that comes up on Google when trying to find some info on the show. That being said, some of the requirements should be:

3) Facial hair? open depending on the actor but I am guessing he will at the very least have that 5 o'clock shadow look....
4) Athletic to the point that they actually played some sports growing up and the audience can tell they are not faking... swimming, playing baseball, football, volleyball, and most important...running!

I am guessing that it will likely be an actor from Australia or Great Britain as so many young actors in America seem to have been woosified by growing up with participation trophies and trying to navigate a PC culture that may have gone a tad too far. (I am thinking of the two Ryans)

My choice would have been the surfer Laird Hamilton until I read he is in his fifties but, perhaps he could pull it off and am having a hard time coming up with others...

I can't . . . :cry:
CoziTV Superfan spot

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I've got a good idea. Whoever has a time machine, go back to 1976, kidnap "1976 Tom Selleck" and bring him here. Once he's finished the new series, return him to his own time so that he can still be in the original series.

Even better, go back to 1976 and convince Bellisario (with bribes of cash or threats of beatings with rubber hose) to start Magnum 4 years earlier so we could have another 4 early seasons of Magnum. That way, we wouldn't have annoying modern storylines, fast editing or drunken camerawork which are nearly guaranteed with the new series.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Steve wrote:So, I am guessing that this is already green lighted and am thinking that maybe we should start coming up with our suggestions for an actor to play Thomas Magnum. I am fairly certain the Magnum Mania site would get some research traffic as it is one of the first sites that comes up on Google when trying to find some info on the show. That being said, some of the requirements should be:

I can't . . . :cry:
And then again, perhaps our time might be better spent forming a support group.......LOL...........Peter, at least we will always have the
"Ultimate Magnum,PI fan" memories and the sometime in the future gathering held at the ultimate tiki bar located somewhere in Queens,NY
:magnum:

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I've got a good idea. Whoever has a time machine, go back to 1976, kidnap "1976 Tom Selleck" and bring him here. Once he's finished the new series, return him to his own time so that he can still be in the original series.

Even better, go back to 1976 and convince Bellisario (with bribes of cash or threats of beatings with rubber hose) to start Magnum 4 years earlier so we could have another 4 early seasons of Magnum. That way, we wouldn't have annoying modern storylines, fast editing or drunken camerawork which are nearly guaranteed with the new series.
Yes, the time machine is the way to go! :wink:

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#39 Post by Cagliostro »

I’m really not feeling this reboot, I’ve watched the new Hawaii Five-0 since the beginning and I can’t see this reboot working if it’s going to have that vibe, it just won’t work. It was touched on already that 2019/2020 isn’t 1980, and my first thought is that when MPI Classic premiered the Vietnam War has been over for more than five years, the war in Afghanistan is STILL ongoing that’s going to make the reboot have a completely different vibe. Frankly I don’t think the magic can be captured again. Oh and lady Higgins just sounds super weird, but also makes me sad we never saw Soo Ling Higgins on MPI Classic.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Danno »

Cagliostro wrote:Frankly I don’t think the magic can be captured again.
This.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Judging on how they cast things these days, I'll bet Rick will be Chinese and the Higgins woman will be Indian/white mix. They'll keep TC black. They only re-cast previously white characters.

I think characters should ALWAYS be as they were originally. What the hell - a woman Doctor Who, a black James Bond? Should a remake of Roots feature Japanese and Norwegians?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Steve »

Cagliostro wrote: Oh and lady Higgins just sounds super weird, but also makes me sad we never saw Soo Ling Higgins on MPI Classic.
I am trying to picture Hillerman dressed up as an Asian woman and on a wild adventure with Agatha.. :lol:

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Judging on how they cast things these days, I'll bet Rick will be Chinese and the Higgins woman will be Indian/white mix. They'll keep TC black. They only re-cast previously white characters.

I think characters should ALWAYS be as they were originally. What the hell - a woman Doctor Who, a black James Bond? Should a remake of Roots feature Japanese and Norwegians?
Judging how things are in Hollywood these days...
Higgins will be a lesbian and Agatha her trans partner.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:Judging how things are in Hollywood these days...
:D Yes. You're right. That's probably what they'll do.

ConchRepublican

#45 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Judging on how they cast things these days, I'll bet Rick will be Chinese and the Higgins woman will be Indian/white mix. They'll keep TC black. They only re-cast previously white characters.

Judging how things are in Hollywood these days...
A.disturbing thought.

Not understanding the Magnum-Higgins relationship changes the show drastically, even a mother figure doesn't work ....
CoziTV Superfan spot