If You Could Interview the Cast...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

If You Could Interview the Cast...

#1 Post by marlboro »

What questions would you ask?

Main cast, guest stars, local extras, living or dead.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: If You Could Interview the Cast...

#2 Post by Steve »

What is their favorite episodes, guest stars and directors (to the main cast and crew)...... How did they feel about the Higgins/Robin Masters mystery being added to the series in the last couple of seasons......And, which female co-stars and Tom Selleck had the hottest on and off set chemistry.....

BWheelz54
Admiral

#3 Post by BWheelz54 »

What do you think makes Magnum PI timeless?

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#4 Post by marlboro »

What is an episode that perfectly encapsulated your character? Conversely, is there an episode where you think the writers got your character wrong?

Name an actor who you would have loved to have appeared on the show but never did.

Are you glad that the show came back for an eighth season?

Who decided to not show Robin Masters' face?

How did Orson Welles get cast as the voice of Robin?

Who decided to change the theme song so early in the series' run?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

I always wanted to know who decided to make John Denver's "Looking for Space" the anchor theme for Limbo, which was supposed to be the final episode, and would have been the lasting memory of the series.

I agree with Steve as well, more info about Higgins/Robin Masters subplot would be interesting.

Also:
- How much influence did Tom Selleck have on the Magnum character and direction as the series moved on? We know he was integral in the initial change to the concept, did that continue?
- Was there even talk of bringing back Digger?
- Chemistry is important, and hard to keep going, aside from the "core four' (plus the lads) was there ever a time when the introduction of another character was considered? I assume that was what Carol was supposed to bring but were there others considered?
- We know Magnum, Simon & Simon & Murder She Wrote existed in the same "universe", do you think it was part of a larger "universe" and which other shows were a part of it and what crossover opportunities do you think were missed?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I'd ask Tom "Was the show really supposed to end with the hero being killed?" "If yes, who's dumb idea was that?"

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#7 Post by marlboro »

ConchRepublican wrote: - How much influence did Tom Selleck have on the Magnum character

Good question. I would like to ask Roger Mosley a similar question about his character. T.C. seemed to change a bit as the series progressed. I've often wondered if Mosley wanted the character to be more of a role model or something.

I'd also like to know if they ever improvised any of their lines and, if so, what are some examples.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

The problem with asking the cast anything is that they're just actors who are bored to death with fans asking them what their favourite episode is or anything else about details of the show. That's the tragedy. All they probably care about is what job they're doing next.

I wish you could interview the actual characters. (..but that's probably only possible in strange dreams or with heavy drug use)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:The problem with asking the cast anything is that they're just actors who are bored to death with fans asking them what their favourite episode is or anything else about details of the show. That's the tragedy. All they probably care about is what job they're doing next.
On the contrary. With the exception of Hillerman, who has become quite reclusive in recent years, the cast has been happy to answer Magnum-related questions on a number of occasions.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.