What sort of security work does Magnum do for the estate?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumFan
Captain

What sort of security work does Magnum do for the estate?

#1 Post by MagnumFan »

Yes, we see him the security systems in the pilot (was that his first day of work for Robin?) and at times Higgins will ask him to do this or that chore...But what do his duties actually entail on the estate? It doesn't seem like he really does much most of the time outside of the chores Higgins will assign once in a while.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: What sort of security work does Magnum do for the estate

#2 Post by K Hale »

MagnumFan wrote:Yes, we see him the security systems in the pilot (was that his first day of work for Robin?) and at times Higgins will ask him to do this or that chore...But what do his duties actually entail on the estate? It doesn't seem like he really does much most of the time outside of the chores Higgins will assign once in a while.
He doesn't, that's why Higgins calls him a freeloader/moocher early on. They have both referred to themselves as the nebulous "head of security" but no one's duties are ever actually spelled out, except in one memorable scene where Magnum says "How come every time there's a crummy job to be done, I'm in charge of security, but every time there's big money to be spent, or credit to be taken, you're in charge of security?" and Higgins says "Because that is the order of the universe!" :lol:

As far as I can tell, Magnum's "job" on the estate is to just be there as another competent warm body should something happen, so that security for the whole place isn't resting on just one guy and his two dogs. He also is occasionally seen going over the estate's security features with visiting VIPs and/or their heads of security, though according to the "Don Luis Higgins" episode, that is something Higgins usually does, so I guess it goes back to Magnum just having a presence at the estate.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by K Hale »

Also forgot to mention this but I always felt like the day he "stole" the Ferrari in the pilot was not his first day. I had the impression he had been there for a little while (a week perhaps?), observed all the security functions, and now felt it was time to test things by trying to get away with the Ferrari. It seems like it would take him a little time to get to know the place and how everything worked and set up a plan to defeat basically five levels of security: the back fence, the dogs, crossing the lawn almost under Higgins' eye, getting into the Ferrari (although the alarm was unexpected), and out the front gate.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#4 Post by marlboro »

He tests the locks and occasionally keeps an eye on the dogs.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#5 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Sometimes he exercises the dogs.
Faith and Begorrah!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by K Hale »

They only chase him because he runs! :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#7 Post by ☨magnum.t »

He was used more as a gopher by Robin than anything, even sent him to L.A. to serve a lawsuit process. Rescued Katrina in Italian Ice. Drove him around scouting locations for the Treasure hunt. Most important though I think Robin used him as inspiration for his writing (Higgins writing :higgins: )haha
That reminds me of the time....