Magnum, P.I. film reels/negatives question

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Magnum, P.I. film reels/negatives question

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:Hope I don't come across as to much of a dick. Just a pet peeve of mine.
LOL! I call myself out the same way.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Magnum, P.I. film reels/negatives question

#12 Post by Pahonu »

I'm with Marlboro on this. So perhaps I'm partially dickish. :wink: I don't really understand why people want to watch a film or TV show in a different format, intentionally I mean. I frequently find myself thinking the opposite when seeing a film on TV. What would this have been like on the big screen? What scenes were cut or parts of the image cropped? How did it sound? I don't know why, but these things wander into my head if I notice something in a scene. Films make much greater use of sound range and light contrast than do TV shows. The cinematographer and sound editor know you'll be experiencing the film in a dark quiet place free of distraction and they make decisions accordingly. That's definitely true of the aspect ratio and how they compose a shot. Wanting to see a TV series like a widescreen film is no different, it seems. That's just not what it is.

Most people don't realize that the classic It's a Wonderful Life was filmed in a 1:1 aspect ratio. I had a chance to see it that way in a theater and it was, ahem.. wonderful. They opened the curtains wide enough to show the square image on screen exactly as was intended by its creators. To me, wanting it changed seems like wishing DaVinci's Mona Lisa was larger or a different shape, or Monet's Water Lilies had different colors or wasn't so blurry. As I think about it, my daughter is pretty bothered whenever the black bars are at the top and bottom of the screen and will enlarge it cutting out some of the image. I know it's a common sentiment but I still don't get it. In any event, it's my TV, so if I'm watching with her, she has to live with the annoyance. :lol: