Why do you love Magnum, P.I.? What drew you to it?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Why do you love Magnum, P.I.? What drew you to it?

#11 Post by Pahonu »

MHTR wrote:No, he was more like a younger Reagan.
Younger Reagan actually began as a classic Hollywood Democrat, and a big New Deal supporter calling Franklin D. Roosevelt "a true hero". He was also a strong union supporter and even president of SAG. In fact, his first wife Jane Wyman was a Republican and cited political differences and his union activities among reasons for wanting a divorce. He moved to the right in the 1950s and didn't become a Republican until 1962 when he was over 50, being born in 1911. All this from an interesting read: Ronald Reagan's Journey: Democrat to Republican by Edward M. Yager. While Magnum's political affiliation is never specified, I don't think Selleck was ever a Democrat, but he has stated he is not a Republican, being registered as an independent in California.

Pahonu

#12 Post by Pahonu »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Reagan's America doesn't really exist here
Have to disagree with this because MPI screams 1980's style conservatism. I mean there's a scene where Thomas is reading The National Review! That would NEVER happen on TV today and if it did, the reader would be ridiculed and accused of being a nut.
As a side note, I've always felt that early episodes carried with them a decidedly more 70's disco vibe, particularly the pilot. Others on the forum have expressed similar thoughts. From the original theme music, to Rick running a disco, to Magnum's more zealous mustache, it was definitely carrying over a bit of the 70's. I believe Bellisario's original script "Cutter" was written in the 70's, and it is interesting to note, the pilot was developed and filmed during the Carter administration, as were the first few episodes.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by KingKC »

Pahonu wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Reagan's America doesn't really exist here
Have to disagree with this because MPI screams 1980's style conservatism. I mean there's a scene where Thomas is reading The National Review! That would NEVER happen on TV today and if it did, the reader would be ridiculed and accused of being a nut.
As a side note, I've always felt that early episodes carried with them a decidedly more 70's disco vibe, particularly the pilot. Others on the forum have expressed similar thoughts. From the original theme music, to Rick running a disco, to Magnum's more zealous mustache, it was definitely carrying over a bit of the 70's. I believe Bellisario's original script "Cutter" was written in the 70's, and it is interesting to note, the pilot was developed and filmed during the Carter administration, as were the first few episodes.
I am so glad that MPI got away from that disco vibe, especially Rick's character being a cheesy disco owner. The pilot had that look to it but it seemed to disappear quickly after that. I don't think I would have followed it as well if it had stayed Seventies style. The theme music change definitely made a difference that this was a tougher, more action type show.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#14 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I have to agree about the disco vibe. I'm a retired Army Officer and a lot of the the smaller details drove me nuts, even in the evolved version. Every time I see Magnum ask Higgins how to tie a Windsor knot I have a mini meltdown. If you went to a service academy you know how to tie a Windsor. Military Officers are socialized to be "proper" individuals. They don't play fast and loose with personal conduct. Every now and then you would hear a juicy bit of gossip about someone and you would be shocked. The job makes you a serious person. After 25 years in the cocoon it was really eye opening for me to realize most of society plays fast and loose. It would have been hard for me suspend my belief that the "disco" Magnum, with 4 years of Annapolis and 10 years of active duty, would be that comfortable moving in Honolulu's seedy underbelly just a few years removed from service. The Magnum the show evolved into has all the character traits I loved about the Army: duty, loyalty, honor, comradeship, selflessness. He lives by a code of values, not by what feels good or the easiest option. All the main characters share these values. That's what makes the show great. I give allowances for Hollywood exaggeration or plot devices, but they never stray from the values of the show. Don't get too hung up on the politics. The Balkanized politics of today don't really apply. Even liberal military officers are pretty conservative guys in their own behavior. Think John Allen or Wesley Clark. Clark was my Brigade Commander when I was a Company Commander. I had no idea he was a Democrat, but politics are kind of a taboo subject in that culture.
Last edited by Fr. Paddy McGuinness on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith and Begorrah!

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by MHTR »

Pahonu wrote:
Younger Reagan actually began as a classic Hollywood Democrat . . .
Yes I know. When I wrote Magnum was like a younger Reagan, the word "younger" was referencing Magnum's age relative to Reagan's age, and NOT to what Reagan was like when he was younger. And Reagan really didn't change that much, it was his former political party that changed.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#16 Post by BWheelz54 »

I love what MHTR points out about Magnum looking back so often to an earlier time. I often think while watching Magnum that the show, though set in 1980s Hawaii, feels more like Indiana Jones than any other television show, or even movie. I often wonder why I have that sentiment. It's something more than plots about chasing down relics and idols. Something even more than wardrobe. There's just this feeling like adventure is just beyond the front door, and that the adventure might not necessarily be deadly to make you wealthy in some way. Gee, I don't know if that makes any sense. Higgins, to me, is the symbol of that glorious age of adventure, with his stories (so often comments about the very nature of story-telling) and his model kits. The show just turns so clever once you're into it. I agree with a lot of people who say we're currently in the "golden age" of television with shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad. I'm not going to argue with that, because those shows really are incredible. But I will say that Magnum could fit in with those shows. Magnum is really so smart. But that "smart" is so subtle. I've often thought that Magnum is like one big, Saturday adventure movie.

Pahonu

#17 Post by Pahonu »

MHTR wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Younger Reagan actually began as a classic Hollywood Democrat . . .
Yes I know. When I wrote Magnum was like a younger Reagan, the word "younger" was referencing Magnum's age relative to Reagan's age, and NOT to what Reagan was like when he was younger. And Reagan really didn't change that much, it was his former political party that changed.
Sorry, that wasn't clear in the original statement's wording. I have to disagree with your final statement though. Reagan liked to use the line, "I didn't leave the party, the party left me", but that was more for expedience than accuracy. It's really much more complex, and interesting. The book I mentioned offers good insight into his shifting ideas. You should check it out if you're interested in Reagan's life as a whole, not just his presidency. It was written just about ten years ago. Vastly summarized: By his own admission, his ideas began changing dramatically in the postwar era as the rising communist threat appeared to him as America's number one priority above all else.

Pahonu

#18 Post by Pahonu »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:I have to agree about the disco vibe. I'm a retired Army Officer and a lot of the the smaller details drove me nuts, even in the evolved version. Every time I see Magnum ask Higgins how to tie a Windsor knot I have a mini meltdown. If you went to a service academy you know how to tie a Windsor. Military Officers are socialized to be "proper" individuals. They don't play fast and loose with personal conduct. Every now and then you would hear a juicy bit of gossip about someone and you would be shocked. The job makes you a serious person. After 25 years in the cocoon it was really eye opening for me to realize most of society plays fast and loose. It would have been be hard for me suspend my belief that the "disco" Magnum, with 4 years of Annapolis and 10 years of active duty, would be that comfortable moving in Honolulu's seedy underbelly just a few years removed from service. The Magnum the show evolved into has all the character traits I loved about the Army: duty, loyalty, honor, comradeship, selflessness. He lives by a code of values, not by what feels good or the easiest option. All the main characters share these values. That's what makes the show great. I give allowances for Hollywood exaggeration or plot devices, but they never stray from the values of the show. Don't get too hung up on the politics. The Balkanized politics of today don't really apply. Even liberal military officers are pretty conservative guys in their own behavior. Think John Allen or Wesley Clark. Clark was my Brigade Commander when I was a Company Commander. I had no idea he was a Democrat, but politics are kind of a taboo subject in that culture.
Interesting observations, particularly about Honolulu's underworld. Thanks!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:I have to agree about the disco vibe. I'm a retired Army Officer and a lot of the the smaller details drove me nuts, even in the evolved version. Every time I see Magnum ask Higgins how to tie a Windsor knot I have a mini meltdown. If you went to a service academy you know how to tie a Windsor. Military Officers are socialized to be "proper" individuals. They don't play fast and loose with personal conduct. Every now and then you would hear a juicy bit of gossip about someone and you would be shocked. The job makes you a serious person. After 25 years in the cocoon it was really eye opening for me to realize most of society plays fast and loose. It would have been be hard for me suspend my belief that the "disco" Magnum, with 4 years of Annapolis and 10 years of active duty, would be that comfortable moving in Honolulu's seedy underbelly just a few years removed from service. The Magnum the show evolved into has all the character traits I loved about the Army: duty, loyalty, honor, comradeship, selflessness. He lives by a code of values, not by what feels good or the easiest option. All the main characters share these values. That's what makes the show great. I give allowances for Hollywood exaggeration or plot devices, but they never stray from the values of the show. Don't get too hung up on the politics. The Balkanized politics of today don't really apply. Even liberal military officers are pretty conservative guys in their own behavior. Think John Allen or Wesley Clark. Clark was my Brigade Commander when I was a Company Commander. I had no idea he was a Democrat, but politics are kind of a taboo subject in that culture.
I agree that Magnum was sometimes a little too "beach bum" at times to be an ex-Navy officer, but that was kind of the point of the show. He was trying to leave that rigid military stuff in the past and move on from the scars of war. Yes, I know he returned to the Navy in the end, but I never thought was realistic especially not with a daughter to raise alone.

Paddy, were you a fan of JAG? I sometimes think Bellasario created it just so he could correct the military mistakes they made in Magnum. JAG wasn't totally realistic either, but I thought they tried pretty hard to get the little details right and the lead character was totally believable as a Navy officer especially in the early seasons.

MagnumFan
Captain

#20 Post by MagnumFan »

I unfortunately haven't served, but I will say that I have noticed with some men who have, old habits die hard. My grandfather fought in WWII. I never knew him, he died before my birth. He rose quickly in the military, becoming a Staff Sgt. in under 3 years during peacetime. He worked first in Coast Anti-Artillary (Panama Canal Zone)) before the War, then in the Quartermaster Service in San Francisco from 1942-1944, and in 1944 was sent overseas as part of the Northern France Campaign. He was shot in Luxembourg by a sniper two days before the Battle of the Bulge ended while his unit was attempting to capture a city. He kept the leg, though he spent a year in and out of the hospital in surgery. He was discharged honorably against his will disabled. From what I have been told, his ambition had been to stay in the Army as an instructor.

In the 40+ years after his death I came into possession of all his personal effects. He kept many things from during and after his Army years including his map of San Franscisco, his Presidio library card, a book called "Why America Fights" by Sherwood Eddy, written in 1942, which gave a moral explanation for our involvement in the war, and his Army driver license. He kept many things from after the war including many (photo) ID cards and membership cards long since expired. He was a member of both the American Legion and VFW as of 1958. He never discussed politics, at least not in front of my mother, although I do know he voted because I have his voter registration card from 1963 - though unfortunately it doesn't say what party he was affiliated with.

I noticed some reoccurring themes after his life in the Military. Almost every job he had after the War involved working with men, and being in a uniform of some kind. He was a Cab Driver in the early 1950s, and an armed chauffer. Back then, Cabbies wore a suit, tie and hat as part of the uniform. Afterwards, he worked as a Mail Carrier (again, uniformed). He worked on the side for the Pinkerton Detective Agency (again in Uniform). Afterwards, his final job was working as Sergeant/Supervisor with a private Security firm. That job too had him in a very military uniform. He kept his old Army clothes, too, even though he was long since trim enough to fit in them, although my grandmother in a fit of anger cut his shirt up the back and threw it away.

Even though in the early 1970s he began to incorporate aspects of the subculture into his life, he never went beyond what would've been acceptable military standards. He grew a mustache in the early 1970s for the first time in his life, but it was trimmed in such a manner as to be military standard. He grew his sideburns, but they never came lower than the military standard. Even after having a stroke and being forced to retire due to it, he always kept himself properly groomed with his trim, Higgins-esque mustache and military specification sideburns and short hair.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#21 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I agree that Magnum was sometimes a little too "beach bum" at times to be an ex-Navy officer, but that was kind of the point of the show. He was trying to leave that rigid military stuff in the past and move on from the scars of war. Yes, I know he returned to the Navy in the end, but I never thought was realistic especially not with a daughter to raise alone.

Paddy, were you a fan of JAG? I sometimes think Bellasario created it just so he could correct the military mistakes they made in Magnum. JAG wasn't totally realistic either, but I thought they tried pretty hard to get the little details right and the lead character was totally believable as a Navy officer especially in the early seasons.
I never watched JAG. I didn't know Bellasario was involved with it. I'll have to give it a look now. The beach bum thing was not a distraction to me. I, personally, don't put a lot of weight on the scars of war theory for Magnum. I prefer his explanation, "It wasn't anything earth shattering. I woke up one day, age 33, and realized I'd never been 23." That is a summary statement that encapsulates a lot of reflecting and dissatisfaction. He wants to be as far away from a life filled with responsibility and pressure as possible. The Magnum character has zero responsibilities that he doesn't take upon himself. It makes perfect sense to me.
Last edited by Fr. Paddy McGuinness on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Faith and Begorrah!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I, personally, don't put a lot of weight on the scars of war theory for Magnum. I prefer his explanation, "It wasn't anything earth shattering. I woke up one day, age 33, and realized I'd never been 23." That is a summary statement that encapsulates a lot of reflecting and dissatisfaction. He wants to be as far away from a life filled with responsibility and pressure as possible. The Magnum character has zero responsibilities that he doesn't take upon himself. It makes perfect sense to me.
Oh, I agree with you that he was tired of being Mr. Responsiblity. I guess I associate his war experiences with losing Michelle, but I know they didn't come up with that idea until the hiatus between seasons 1 & 2. Then in season 3 we find out he was a POW for a few months, but that's also something they came up with after the "never been 23" explanation. Like most fiction, it was "make it up as you go." :lol:

Give JAG a shot because military ethics, honor codes, and loyalty are on full display. And since you lived it, you'll probably get a kick out of critiquing parts of it. :wink: Be warned that it changes a lot after the first season. Season 1 was on NBC and it was more action/adventure oriented. When NBC cancelled it, CBS picked it up and it became more of a blend of drama, adventure, and some courtroom/legal/mystery stuff.

MagnumFan
Captain

#23 Post by MagnumFan »

My question is, why did Magnum stay in the military after Vietnam was over?
Michelle "died" in April 1975 to the best of his knowledge. Why did he bother staying with the Navy until '79? You'd think Michelle's death would've been the breaking point for him.

Also, am wondering how Magnum got stationed in Hawaii between 1975 and 1979 in the first place.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#24 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

MagnumFan wrote:My question is, why did Magnum stay in the military after Vietnam was over?
Michelle "died" in April 1975 to the best of his knowledge. Why did he bother staying with the Navy until '79? You'd think Michelle's death would've been the breaking point for him.

Also, am wondering how Magnum got stationed in Hawaii between 1975 and 1979 in the first place.
Well he was a career officer who, based on "Missing in Action" (season 1), had been in Vietnam in 1967. During that conflict you were limited to 3 "in-country" deployments that were 13 months in duration with a one month mid-tour leave. So he probably would have done another deployment between that one and the one in 74/75 where he met Michelle. The Ivan incident at Doc Wei would fit in well to the second deployment. I know I'm mixing fact with fiction and the show timeline is a little skewed. Michelle thought her husband was killed during Tet a full 7 years before the fall of Saigon. If we're to believe all the things they attribute to Magnum's character (SEAL, Naval Intelligence, Joint Spec Ops teams), guys like that usually don't break. That's how got where they got. When things are bad they focus on a goal. The character was a pretty stable person. I thought his drinking bender after the Sharon Stone suicide was way out of character, but it introduced the Jim Bonnick character. If you look at the amount of loss in his life he had it all very well compartmentalized. As for being in Hawaii, that's pretty common for sailors. Besides Pearl Harbor, they must have other installations on Oahu. The Army had 6 installations on Oahu when I was stationed there.
Faith and Begorrah!

MagnumFan
Captain

#25 Post by MagnumFan »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:
MagnumFan wrote:My question is, why did Magnum stay in the military after Vietnam was over?

Well he was a career officer who, based on "Missing in Action" (season 1), had been in Vietnam in 1967. During that conflict you were limited to 3 "in-country" deployments that were 13 months in duration with a one month mid-tour leave. So he probably would have done another deployment between that one and the one in 74/75 where he met Michelle. The Ivan incident at Doc Wei would fit in well to the second deployment. I know I'm mixing fact with fiction and the show timeline is a little skewed. Michelle thought her husband was killed during Tet a full 7 years before the fall of Saigon. If we're to believe all the things they attribute to Magnum's character (SEAL, Naval Intelligence, Joint Spec Ops teams), guys like that usually don't break. That's how got where they got. When things are bad they focus on a goal. The character was a pretty stable person. I thought his drinking bender after the Sharon Stone suicide was way out of character, but it introduced the Jim Bonnick character. If you look at the amount of loss in his life he had it all very well compartmentalized. As for being in Hawaii, that's pretty common for sailors. Besides Pearl Harbor, they must have other installations on Oahu. The Army had 6 installations on Oahu when I was stationed there.
I'd say that his time spent "bumming it" from '80-'88 was a form of break. Not a mental or psychological break in the usual sense, but you have a guy who goes from being a highly decorated, disciplined veteran to a borderline freeloader. Yes, he does work as a PI, and he's stable in a mental sense, but this is a guy who lives case to case and is almost perpetually broke. I'd say that the entirety of Magnum's career as a PI was out of character for the guy with the military background he has. You could say Magnum perhaps compartmentalized the entirety of his army self during this eight year period - tucked it away as someone he used to know. The repulsion he has toward the Navy during this time, and the carefree nature he has, suggests to me a man looking to escape from his own memories. Not a regression to adolescence but an escape from the horrors he'd seen.