Was Higgins a US Citizen?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

Was Higgins a US Citizen?

#1 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I don't know why it suddenly dawned on me to wonder this, but was it ever said if Higgins was a citizen?

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Lily »

Maybe he immigrated to the States, but still retained his British citizenship?

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Jodykmg365 »

Maybe he had a duel citizenship or something. :lol:

VM02
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by VM02 »

I always figured he retained British Citizenship.

Ooh thats not right ... remained a British Subject. Presumably he worked for RM in other roles prior to running the estate, a sweet job if there ever was one, and RM was able to secure him a work visa. (Perhaps having won the Victoria Cross helped in this)

Of course, if Higgins is Robin Masters...

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by Jodykmg365 »

A sweet job is right. :lol:

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#6 Post by N1095A »

In "Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii", Higgins' Social Security number was referred to, but in "Mad Dogs And Englishmen", it was stated that his work visa had been revoked. My question is, if you are in the US on a work visa, do you still have an SSN? Dual citizenship would seem to be the right answer, but if he was on a work visa, I dunno.
Last edited by N1095A on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I would think if anything he would have had dual citizenship.

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

My professional background is in immigration advising. An estate manager could have had a work visa, which would entitle him to a social security number. He could also have been a permanent resident of the US (aka green card holder) while retaining his UK citizenship.

I hope this is helpful!

:D

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#9 Post by IslandHopper »

I always thought that Higgins had Dual citizenship. In "Pleasure Principle" Magnum implies that Higgins is a U.S. citizen, when Magnum becomes suspicious of Higgins' relationship with Rosita. Carol asks Magnum "Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, she likes Jonathon?“ Magnum says “Yes, I’ve also considered that she (Rosita) may be trying to get her ‘Green-Card’ the easy way (by marriage).” I’m sure Higgins would never give up his UK citizenship, so I think he would be a dual citizen (UK & U.S.A.).
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

VM02
Rear Admiral

#10 Post by VM02 »

I guess I have two questions

1. Is it possible for someone to have dual citizenship in a situation like Higgins i.e unmarried, having presumably not spent much time in the US until 1960?
2. Is it reasonable the Higgins would have accepted US citizenship.

I never thought about this before, I always just assumed he was a British Subject with a work visa. But some of the items mentioned in thread seem to imply he did have US citizenship.

Artie Canoe
Captain

#11 Post by Artie Canoe »

I would think he had dual citizenship because he was living and working there for a long time so it was probably the best option for him.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MPS »

I think it may have been nearly impossible to retain a dual citizenship in the 1980's, as it it tough to do it even with loosened standards, now.

Dual Citizenship
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Private Investigator!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#13 Post by Private Investigator! »

I have no true knowledge of how this all works, but considering that he may have been in the islands before it received statehood, how would his status be handled considering he was already a resident? Do they "grandfather" in residents of a new state? Obviously, all natives of the islands became US citizens when the state joined the union. The question then becomes what was his relationship to the ruling government at time of statehood? He could easily have become a US citizen by proxy.

This is all speculation on my part of course.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by perfectlykevin »

I doubt he was a US citizen. I rememebr in the pilot ep. he said to Magnum not to put ice in his whiskey..."I'm not a bloody American!" I may have it slightly off but that what I'm remembering.

The bit about the social security numbe rthough in the same episode-it seems like Magnum would know that one can't have a SS# with just a work visa. Maybe Magnum just isn't up on his immigration or he thought Higgins was an American (which seems pretty unlikely).

Kev

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#15 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Non-citizens who hold US work visas or whose permission to work is inherent in their immigration status can have Social Security Numbers. Remember, Uncle Sam has to collect his due! Even in the 80's, there was a pretty simple process for an alien with a valid work visa to present his or her documents at the SSA to obtain an SSN.

I hope this is helpful!