Why were soundtracks never released?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumFan
Captain

Why were soundtracks never released?

#1 Post by MagnumFan »

Besides the main theme, there's a lot of cool music in all the episodes. My favorite piece of all time is honestly the little funky ditty at the gas station in Beauty Knows No Pain. It's a nice, funky riff on the main theme.

So, that said, anyone know why there was never any official releases of Magnum music outside of the opening theme?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Why were soundtracks never released?

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I think there was an LP released with an extended version of the main theme. I remember discussion on this a while back where someone posted a photo of the record cover. As far as a full soundtrack, most of the music is just riffs on the main theme with different moods. I can't imagine such a thing would get much interest from a wide audience.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I think there was an LP released with an extended version of the main theme. I remember discussion on this a while back where someone posted a photo of the record cover. As far as a full soundtrack, most of the music is just riffs on the main theme with different moods. I can't imagine such a thing would get much interest from a wide audience.
I agree about interest, also it was before the explosion of niche marketing. Maybe today they'd do something to target the fans/viewers.

I will say though, I love the episodic music JJ has assembled on the main site and have it on my iPod. There are times I just put on my Magnum Mix while doing things around the house . . . it's like being in an episode . . . kinda.

Well, not really, but it makes me feel better. :-)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote: I will say though, I love the episodic music JJ has assembled on the main site and have it on my iPod. There are times I just put on my Magnum Mix while doing things around the house . . . it's like being in an episode . . . kinda.

I love that you have it on your iPod. :)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote: I will say though, I love the episodic music JJ has assembled on the main site and have it on my iPod. There are times I just put on my Magnum Mix while doing things around the house . . . it's like being in an episode . . . kinda.

I love that you have it on your iPod. :)
How about this . . . to take it further, I have a "My Fallbacks" playlist, basically the songs, no matter the genre, I always like. I have Magnum quotes and music interspersed in there.

And, to be even more geeky, my Flemingo Key Beach Bar playlist has commercials . . . like the old Budweiser Frogs and the Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" spots.

Tarantino affected me a little too much it seems. :-)
CoziTV Superfan spot

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Reef monkey »

Other than a main theme becoming a hit and charting and being released as a single, releasing full length albums of TV series soundtracks really just wasn't a thing back then. The first show that really made it a thing was Miami Vice, which was such a revolutionary show in its gritty themes, but especially its styling and its use of popular music in episodes. At times there were scenes of Tubbs and Crockett just driving through Miami at night, no dialogue, with just the music playing, and they would play the entire song, practically, it was like a music video for that song, played as part of the most popular show on TV, very much influenced by MTV. It more than any other show saved NBC and brought it from last place to first. Phil Collins and Glenn Frey both got a huge bump in their solo careers by having their music played on Miami Vice. "In The Air Tonight" and "You Belong To The City", respectively, were HUGE hits in 1985. Three Miami Vice soundtracks were released in the show's heyday, I had the first, it was the first "grown up" music I ever owned as a 9-10 year old. I think the cassette is still in my old closet at my parents' house.

"Miami Vice" released October 26, 1985

1. "The Original Miami Vice Theme (Instrumental)" Jan Hammer 1:00
2. "Smuggler's Blues" Glenn Frey 3:45
3. "Own the Night" Chaka Khan 4:50
4. "You Belong to the City" Glenn Frey 5:49
5. "In the Air Tonight" Phil Collins 5:29
6. "Miami Vice (Instrumental)" Jan Hammer 2:26
7. "Vice" Melle Mel 5:00
8. "Better Be Good to Me" Tina Turner 5:12
9. "Flashback (Instrumental)" Jan Hammer 3:19
10. "Chase (Instrumental)" Jan Hammer 2:36
11. "Evan (Instrumental)" Jan Hammer 3:05

Magnum actually tried to emulate the Miami Vice style in later years, with the gritty mood, more night scenes, the use of long pop music interludes in scenes. I liked Miami Vice, but I didn't like that style in MAgnum.

Also, besides Miami Vice, I think the only other 80s TV show theme songs that really became popular in their own right (got significant radio airtime, etc) were the theme to The Greatest American Hero ("Believe It or Not, I'm Walking On Air") and Hill Street Blues. Even shows like Magnum and Dallas that had catchy hummable theme songs didn't see them become appreciated as music in their own right.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

ConchRepublican

#8 Post by ConchRepublican »

Reef monkey wrote:Other than a main theme becoming a hit and charting and being released as a single, releasing full length albums of TV series soundtracks really just wasn't a thing back then. The first show that really made it a thing was Miami Vice, which was such a revolutionary show in its gritty themes, but especially its styling and its use of popular music in episodes. At times there were scenes of Tubbs and Crockett just driving through Miami at night, no dialogue, with just the music playing, and they would play the entire song, practically, it was like a music video for that song, played as part of the most popular show on TV, very much influenced by MTV. It more than any other show saved NBC and brought it from last place to first. Phil Collins and Glenn Frey both got a huge bump in their solo careers by having their music played on Miami Vice. "In The Air Tonight" and "You Belong To The City", respectively, were HUGE hits in 1985. Three Miami Vice soundtracks were released in the show's heyday, I had the first, it was the first "grown up" music I ever owned as a 9-10 year old. I think the cassette is still in my old closet at my parents' house.

"Miami Vice" released October 26, 1985

1. "The Original Miami Vice Theme (Instrumental)" Jan Hammer 1:00

Magnum actually tried to emulate the Miami Vice style in later years, with the gritty mood, more night scenes, the use of long pop music interludes in scenes. I liked Miami Vice, but I didn't like that style in MAgnum.

Also, besides Miami Vice, I think the only other 80s TV show theme songs that really became popular in their own right (got significant radio airtime, etc) were the theme to The Greatest American Hero ("Believe It or Not, I'm Walking On Air") and Hill Street Blues. Even shows like Magnum and Dallas that had catchy hummable theme songs didn't see them become appreciated as music in their own right.
I had that soundtrack as well. :-)
CoziTV Superfan spot

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Reef monkey »

Remember what a big hit the Twin Peaks theme song was back around 1990? I had a copy of the soundtrack album they released back then, too. Soundtrack albums have always made up a significant portion of my music collection.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Styles Bitchley

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Reef monkey wrote: 1. "The Original Miami Vice Theme (Instrumental)" Jan Hammer 1:00
Even the second Miami Vice album had an awesome song: Crockett's Theme. I remember being at my good friend's place when he had just picked up the first soundtrack on cassette. Man, what a revolutionary sound. Sorry to say that the Magnum theme didn't have the same impact.

- J.Q.H.

drsyn71
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by drsyn71 »

I'm blowing the dust off of this old thread. I'm doing a run-through of MAGNUM right now and I got to thinking about SOUNDTRACKS. I did a search here on the forum and found this thread.

Yes, MAGNUM P.I. would be a PERFECT release for the likes of soundtrack labels such as Intrada, Varese Sarbande, BuySoundtrax Records, La La Land Records or others. Releases for older movies and TV shows are pretty much their bread and butter. In fact, Varese Sarbande released a nice Limited Edition 2-CD soundtrack set for KNIGHT RIDER back in 2019. Another Universal title of that era. I bought it for sure.
https://www.discogs.com/release/1349026 ... Soundtrack

I think a nice 2 CD-set like that for MAGNUM would be PERFECT. They could max-out both CDs up to 80 minutes if need be. They could have the opening and closing themes plus tons of episodic incidental music cues. As popular (and awesome) as MAGNUM was and is, I think it would be a good seller for whatever company would release it.

Styles Bitchley

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

For what it’s worth, I created this comprehensive Spotify playlist based on the robust inventory of songs from the show that were compiled on the magnum-mania website a long time ago. https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7pF9A ... ILdVgWgR9w

It’s pretty diverse in genres and kinda fin to put on when you don’t know what to listen to. Someone may be able to boil theses down into something marketable if they can also access the proper score from the show. Finding either original themes on Spotify proved elusive. Lots of cover versions though.

- J.Q.H.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

A few tracks that I really love from the show:

"Dead Man's Channel" underwater theme: https://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Nihoa_Channel.html
"J. Digger Doyle" TM rescuing Higgy on piggy-back: https://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Rescuing_Higgins.html
"Lest We Forget" meeting Judge Caine: https://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Meeting_Judge_Caine.html

The above were all by Mike Post and Pete Carpenter.

But I also really love the chase music from the pilot "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" (where TM in his Ferrari is chased by the 2 goons in their old beat-up muscle car) which was by Ian Freebairn-Smith. Sadly we don't have that one here on this site.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#14 Post by Aloha Friday »

I used to have that 45 with Tom Selleck and Mike Post on the sleeve. I do not recall what was on the B-side. Anyone have it?
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

drsyn71
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#15 Post by drsyn71 »

Aloha Friday wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:49 am I used to have that 45 with Tom Selleck and Mike Post on the sleeve. I do not recall what was on the B-side. Anyone have it?
I don't have the 45, but the song is called Gumbus Red. I found it on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/5FV-EYgpjuw

It's another instrumental piece with a lot of good guitar and piano.