Photos from my visit to Pahonu

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Photos from my visit to Pahonu

#21 Post by KENJI »

Hi again TSMIV,
What kind of car did you see entering the estate.......maybe it was red in color and sporty? :wink:
I bet the new Kenji and his crew took PLENTY of foliage to the dump on this job! I was thinking one of two things the new owners have no idea how many MPI fans come to the estate for a look that they pruned everything down to see the fantastic views, but didn't factor us into the equation..... (some privacy will be sacrificed for that view) or they know all about us and don't really care (so long as the onlookers stay on the other side of the fence). It will be interesting to see if they maintain the existing plant heights in the years to come or let it grow a little higher to block our view inside like Eve did. I have to say that I prefer the main house with the foliage on the face of the building.....it looks too bare now.....kind of like when TS shaved off his famous mustache for awhile....it didn't look right at all :wink: .....I hope they let it grow back after they've done the repairs needed. In one of your pics I could make out what appears to be a white patch on the rendering (close to the upper lanai that we've been discussing). I'm guessing there were a few cracks/damage to be filled after being covered up for so long. You timed your visit perfectly for this unveiling - thanks again!
P.S.
Glad to hear that you found your hat....that would've really messed with your mojo! :magnum: :D

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#22 Post by Pahonu »

TSMIV wrote:
It’s difficult to imagine any other TV show that you could pay homage to in such a ‘hands-on’ immersive way. For instance I’m a big fan of the Rockford Files but I don’t think it will ever be possible to have a stroll through his trailer! :)
Hey TSMIV,

Though you can't walk through Jim Rockford's trailer (actually my favorite all-time show, heresy here, I know), you can go to Paradise Cove and stand right where the trailer was located. I've been many times. They even have a plaque there. The Sandcastle Restaurant still looks much the same, though with a different name. You can also walk out onto the pier where Jim and Rocky used to fish, though not as far. Storms destroyed the end of it several years ago. So I understand a bit, the feeling you must have felt swimming in the tidal pool. :) I actually got to meet James Garner back in the mid-90's when he was filming one of the later Rockford TV movies, and Joe Santos. It was a real thrill. Garner and David Janssen are my favorite actors. Janssen died far to young in the early 80's and Garner a couple of years back. Now that I think of it, Joe Santos also passed recently. :(

On a happier note, thanks for going through you pictures again and looking for any new shots!

Pahonu

#23 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:Hi again TSMIV,
What kind of car did you see entering the estate.......maybe it was red in color and sporty? :wink:
I bet the new Kenji and his crew took PLENTY of foliage to the dump on this job! I was thinking one of two things the new owners have no idea how many MPI fans come to the estate for a look that they pruned everything down to see the fantastic views, but didn't factor us into the equation..... (some privacy will be sacrificed for that view) or they know all about us and don't really care (so long as the onlookers stay on the other side of the fence). It will be interesting to see if they maintain the existing plant heights in the years to come or let it grow a little higher to block our view inside like Eve did. I have to say that I prefer the main house with the foliage on the face of the building.....it looks too bare now.....kind of like when TS shaved off his famous mustache for awhile....it didn't look right at all :wink: .....I hope they let it grow back after they've done the repairs needed. In one of your pics I could make out what appears to be a white patch on the rendering (close to the upper lanai that we've been discussing). I'm guessing there were a few cracks/damage to be filled after being covered up for so long. You timed your visit perfectly for this unveiling - thanks again!
P.S.
Glad to hear that you found your hat....that would've really messed with your mojo! :magnum: :D
Hey Kenji,

I, like you, prefer the foliage on the house, but I'm betting they removed it for repairs and probably paint, both good things. They still left much growth along the sea wall and fences for privacy. Unfortunately, the foliage on the building could take a decade or more to grow back. If you look at early HFO episodes, it's much less than in the Magnum years, as is the perimeter privacy foliage.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#24 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Fabulous photos. Great to see the updates and read all the great new analysis from our resident Pahonu experts! Such a joy! Thanks guys!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by TSMIV »

Pahonu wrote:
TSMIV wrote:
It’s difficult to imagine any other TV show that you could pay homage to in such a ‘hands-on’ immersive way. For instance I’m a big fan of the Rockford Files but I don’t think it will ever be possible to have a stroll through his trailer! :)
Hey TSMIV,

Though you can't walk through Jim Rockford's trailer (actually my favorite all-time show, heresy here, I know), you can go to Paradise Cove and stand right where the trailer was located. I've been many times. They even have a plaque there. The Sandcastle Restaurant still looks much the same, though with a different name. You can also walk out onto the pier where Jim and Rocky used to fish, though not as far. Storms destroyed the end of it several years ago. So I understand a bit, the feeling you must have felt swimming in the tidal pool. :) I actually got to meet James Garner back in the mid-90's when he was filming one of the later Rockford TV movies, and Joe Santos. It was a real thrill. Garner and David Janssen are my favorite actors. Janssen died far to young in the early 80's and Garner a couple of years back. Now that I think of it, Joe Santos also passed recently. :(

On a happier note, thanks for going through you pictures again and looking for any new shots!

Hi again Pahonu,

I can’t believe that you got to meet James Garner and Joe Santos, that would have been absolutely amazing!!! :!: Wow, I’m very envious.

I’ve always been a huge fan of James Garner and was very sad when he passed away in 2014. He starred in my favourite film of all time (‘The Great Escape’) and in one of favourite TV shows as the wonderful Jim Rockford. From what I’ve read he seems to have been a really impressive person off the screen as well (e.g. joining Martin Luther King’s march on Washington in 1963).

You’ve just given me something to add to my bucket list - I simply must visit Paradise Cove and walk around the site of Jim’s trailer!! :lol: (and see the plaque that you mentioned). Plus, casting a fishing line off the pier where Jim and Rocky did the same would be surreal in a wonderful way.

Many thanks for sharing your Rockford Files tales - it was great to read them. :)

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#26 Post by TSMIV »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Fabulous photos. Great to see the updates and read all the great new analysis from our resident Pahonu experts! Such a joy! Thanks guys!
Glad that you are enjoying the photos SB - more to come :D

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:
KENJI wrote:Hi again TSMIV,
P.S.
Hey Kenji,

I, like you, prefer the foliage on the house, but I'm betting they removed it for repairs and probably paint, both good things. They still left much growth along the sea wall and fences for privacy. Unfortunately, the foliage on the building could take a decade or more to grow back. If you look at early HFO episodes, it's much less than in the Magnum years, as is the perimeter privacy foliage.
Hi Pahonu,

Yes it does look like the foliage removal is pointing towards paint and repairs which makes sense with a new owner coming into the picture. One plant that looks great on a building, but can actually do some damage depending on the rendering is ivy.....once a crack forms the plant will start to grow in there and over time, get large enough that it will force that crack open some more. On top of that it can do damage to the perimeter drain system, not to mention create a wonderful home for rodents. :shock: Hawaii is quite warm and humid which plants love so if they do decide to let something grow back on the exterior lets hope they pick a plant that grows fast and doesn't take 10 yrs. to cover it again. It would've been interesting to see what they discovered other than the scalloped lanai rail when they removed everything. I instantly thought of you with a big smile on your face when that popped up. I bet you've already changed it on your model. I wonder if the damage to the entire building (interior/exterior) is more than they expected or within reason for it's age. I'm happy to see the boathouse still standing......I hope they can save it because they won't let them build it from the ground up again in the exact same spot as it sits in the ocean setback /no build zone. Fingers crossed they can work some magic bracing and replacing timbers and reinforcing the walls without it falling down on them.

Looking forward to your next set of pics TSMIV.
Did you notice anymore pruning at the front of the place where they went to town in front of the gatehouse? Many of those plants actually grew back quite fast when they initially cut them all down.

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#28 Post by TSMIV »

Did you notice anymore pruning at the front of the place where they went to town in front of the gatehouse? Many of those plants actually grew back quite fast when they initially cut them all down.[/quote]

Hi Kenji,

I can’t say that I can recall seeing a lot of pruning near the front entrance of the estate but I’ll take a look at the my photos and let you know! :lol:

Cheers

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#29 Post by TSMIV »

Hi Pahonu,

I went through my photos to see if I could find any new photos of the upper lanai - here’s a couple and I hope that they help you with your model! :!:

Apologies for the volume/possibly repetitive nature of the photos but I thought that I’d post them all so that your opportunity for detecting any new detail is maximised! :D

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by KENJI »

Hi TSMIV,

Many thanks for the additional pics!
It appears they've been pruning in that back corner facing Rabbit Island too. The pic with part of your finger in it (I've done that many times) shows one of the homes on the rental property beside Pahonu which we haven't seen for awhile, maybe it's combination of what they cut down on the sea wall too that allows us to see it better. It would make sense to regain that gorgeous view out to the island especially from the upper lanai, just less privacy. There is a small gate in that corner (assuming it is still there) that gives them access to the beach. Did you take any pics from that angle facing the house? It would be interesting to see how much they cleared out and what view we would get looking inwards on the main house.

Pahonu

#31 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks TSMIV!

No need to apologize for repetition. Any photos are helpful. Sometimes I find myself going back over older photos and noticing things I'd missed earlier. Have you had a chance to see my SketchUp model? It's fun to poke around the model, including inside. I must admit though, there are now many known mistakes in it that need to be fixed since all the new information surfacing because of the sale. :)

Pahonu

#32 Post by Pahonu »

Hey RG and Kenji,

I just thought of some new questions. RG, you were the first to show me with photos a while back, that the gate house has only one garage bay, not two as I had originally included in my model. Then, in reading back through the two articles you posted about the construction plans, they mention the servant's quarters (gate house) having a two-car garage, as well as a tool room and laundry. Do you think this is another example of later alterations? The photos of the gate house posted before the sale seemed to show some interior alterations of the space. Might this have included enclosing one of the garage bays for more interior space? I seem to recall it mentioned at some time in this forum that Eve Anderson had moved into the gate house as the main house fell into disrepair? Thoughts?

Also, do you guys think the laundry mentioned in the servant's quarters was for the servants only, with the main laundry for the house being in the service wing somewhere, along with the kitchen, pantries, garages, etc... Two thought lead me to believe this is true. One the gate house is a looong way to haul laundry from the house, and two, there are clearly clothes drying lines shown in the Mad Buck Gibson episode that are located at the end of the service wing. More thoughts? :)