Magnum for the Vision Impaired

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Describer, P.I.
Ensign

Magnum for the Vision Impaired

#1 Post by Describer, P.I. »

Hey all --
I'm a newbie to the form, but a heavy user of the Magnum Mania site. For the last year I've been part of a small team of writers and narrators adding Audio Description tracks to episodes of Magnum PI, which air 4 days a week on AMItv. AMI (Accessible Media inc) broadcasts with open description and captioning all across Canada, allowing blind and low vision users to get in on the fun. As one of the description writers, I've found tons of info and insights here, so I thought I'd offer a tip of my Detroit Tiger's ball cap in thanks.
Cheers!

https://youtu.be/H3ukQYZgoRI
"Glancing back at us with a thick moustache and a dimpled cheek, he waggles his eyebrows and grins."

MHTR
Vice Admiral

Re: Magnum for the Vision Impaired

#2 Post by MHTR »

Welcome to the forum, Describer, P.I. What a cool job you have!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome Describer, P.I.!

That's about the coolest thing I've heard of so far this year.

Just more evidence of how broad a range of fans this show, the cast and these stories have.

Some of them (the stories) seem like borderline cartoons, others like serious theater, or box-office "hit" material. Really extremely "varied", in my opinion.

Some of the best people on the net right here, starting with J.J.Walters, who put it together at the start.

I still consider myself somewhat of a "newcomer", but still wanted to extend my welcome to you and comment on how great a thing I think you are doing with the conversions.

Well done! :magnum:
Last edited by 308GUY on Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Describer, P.I.
Ensign

#4 Post by Describer, P.I. »

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Magnum is a big afternoon hit on AMI. It's nostalgic for some, and retro cool for others. Plus - who can resist descriptions of hairy chests and short shorts!
"Glancing back at us with a thick moustache and a dimpled cheek, he waggles his eyebrows and grins."

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

The....BUTLER?

Seriously, great job!
Last edited by Mrs. Higgins on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Describer, P.I. wrote:Plus - who can resist descriptions of hairy chests and short shorts!
I just realized how much fun you might have with this! Kudos to the contribution you're making through your work. Is there any way to see or listen to a sample?
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Describer, P.I.
Ensign

#7 Post by Describer, P.I. »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
I just realized how much fun you might have with this! Kudos to the contribution your making through your work. Is there any way to see or listen to a sample?
It doesn't look like AMI has any described clips online, just promos. But if you're in Canada and have basic cable, you're in luck. I think Magnum airs at 1am, 6am, and 1pm Tues-Fri. You can find the AMItv Channel Guide here: http://www.ami.ca/schedules

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#8 Post by ConchRepublican »

Good job Describer, P.I.!

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04