Misc. MPI Newspaper Articles

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Misc. MPI Newspaper Articles

#71 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

From what I can gather, most of these critics really seemed to hate the twist involving "La Boule", although in retrospect it was likely Magnum's "little voice". I guess in watching it myself, it's more obvious as the flashbacks with him were there from the beginning, and wouldn't have been there if it didn't play a part in the main story, but that's my two cents.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Moving along through time...MPI has just premiered on December 11, 1980. Here are some news items for the rest of the month...

Akron Beacon Journal, December 13, 1980...

The Mike Douglas show was filming on Oahu...just a small bit about TS/MPI...and a little Jack Lord, too! Honolulu Advertiser, December 13, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, December 14, 1980...

Elmira NY Star-Gazette, December 14, 1980...

The Pittsburgh Press, December 14, 1980...

Apparently Larson liked getting on stage a lot...here he is again. Honolulu Advertiser, December 15, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, December 16, 1980...

Stevens Point (WI) Journal, December 17, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, December 18, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, December 18, 1980...

Star-Bulletin, December 22, 1980...

Bagwells 2424 is (was) another restaurant in the Hyatt Waikiki. (http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolul ... iarticle=2)
Star-Bulletin, December 22, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, December 23, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, December 26, 1980...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

J.J. Walters wrote:Sad news. I've updated the Cast page with his death date. So cool that Jack Lord have him the HFO car! I still have never been able to definitively determine exactly when he was Tom Selleck's Stunt Double & Stand-in on MPI. Tom Lupo was also Selleck's Stunt Double & Stand-in for most of the show's run. Maybe they both worked in tandem together?
(Posting in response to JJ's question from the "RIP John Nordlum" thread.)

Hi JJ,

It looks like you're right about Nordlum & Lupo working in tandem... I just found an article that says Nordlum worked on MPI for eight years.

Honolulu Advertiser, February 25, 1988...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

When I started this thread last year I segued into trying to do the articles in chronological order which proved to be too time consuming so I hit a brick wall. Maybe I'll just post them as I come across them. By the way, I have a big monitor so please let me know if I post any that are too small to read...

Honolulu Advertiser, July 24, 1986...

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#75 Post by marlboro »

I'm not a history buff, but this clipping makes me have to ask - did 99.9% of the American male population flee the country during the Carter administration? I don't see how there could be any other explanation for some of the names on this list.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#76 Post by MHTR »

If J.Q. Higgins were a real person I bet he'd say:

:wink: "I say Magnum, I'm a bit surprised by all the negative reviews." :wink:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by Steve »

It would be interesting to see a better picture of the extras and see if we recognize anyone..............

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:It would be interesting to see a better picture of the extras and see if we recognize anyone..............
Hi Steve,

Do you mean these particular gentlemen?

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hi again Steve,

If that was your question, I checked A.A.P.I. and they're the gentlemen at the convention seated on the other side of the podium from TM...

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Steve »

Thanks RG, I recognized them I was talking about the extras in line behind the newspaper photo. I was wondering if the mysterious Lady X might be in line or the gorgeous silver haired mature woman that appears in many episodes.... I believe she was tagged Lady Z....

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:Thanks RG, I recognized them I was talking about the extras in line behind the newspaper photo. I was wondering if the mysterious Lady X might be in line or the gorgeous silver haired mature woman that appears in many episodes.... I believe she was tagged Lady Z....
Ah, gotcha Steve. Yes, that would be interesting to see the extras back there! Too bad the article is in black & white, would've been easier to see the faces if it was in color :(

Here's your "foxy lady" (cue Jimi Hendrix) When I went back through the Lady X thread to get these pics you guys called her "Lady Y"...

youtu.be/_PVjcIO4MT4

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by ENSHealy »

Question for Rembrandt's Girl, and forgive me if you already answered it for someone else and I overlooked it: what source, program, database, etc. are you using to dig up all these gems? Over the years, I've tried to put google to work, but generally you only get results from publications that have converted their back issues to text, and you only get that converted text, not image files of the original articles.

Just curious how you are going about it, you sure are turning up a treasure trove of priceless material.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by KENJI »

ENSHealy wrote:Question for Rembrandt's Girl, and forgive me if you already answered it for someone else and I overlooked it: what source, program, database, etc. are you using to dig up all these gems? Over the years, I've tried to put google to work, but generally you only get results from publications that have converted their back issues to text, and you only get that converted text, not image files of the original articles.

Just curious how you are going about it, you sure are turning up a treasure trove of priceless material.
That's her bread and butter, not to mention MM job security ENSHealy....you can't ask her that. :wink:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:
ENSHealy wrote:Question for Rembrandt's Girl, and forgive me if you already answered it for someone else and I overlooked it: what source, program, database, etc. are you using to dig up all these gems? Over the years, I've tried to put google to work, but generally you only get results from publications that have converted their back issues to text, and you only get that converted text, not image files of the original articles.

That's her bread and butter, not to mention MM job security ENSHealy....you can't ask her that. :wink:
Haha, very funny KENJI! :lol:

Hi ENSHealy!

If you're referring to the MPI newspaper articles, I have a premium subscription to newspapers.com. There are so many articles, snippets, etc. and I really enjoy reading them (takes me back in time!), and I was posting what I thought might be of interest to folks here. I've got a really good one on Gillian Dobb that I'll be posting a bit later.

As far as other research goes, again, newspapers.com, ancestry.com, image searches, social media, government websites, books about Hawaiian history, etc. It's really just great fun for me and I enjoy sharing what I find.

I'm working on something right now regarding Pahonu that is a doozie so stay tuned! I hope I can come through... waiting to hear back from a "source" as I type this! :D

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by ENSHealy »

Ahh...so newspapers.com is your secret! I'll have to check it out, although I probably can't spring for a premium membership, I'm saving up for a red Fiero and the cash to have a targa top installed in it.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."