Misc. MPI Newspaper Articles

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Misc. MPI Newspaper Articles

#16 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

terryfromkerry wrote:
It occurs to me as I am sure it has to most of our MPI brethren while perusing these articles. There has never ever been any hint down through the decades of any impropriety on the part of Tom Selleck. He is obviously a man of real character honour, integrity, humility, loyalty, self parody, etc. All of these characteristics were so evident and ever present in his portrayal of Magnum.
Funny you should mention that Terry!

Honolulu Advertiser, August 13, 1987...

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by terryfromkerry »

Another great article RG :D
Mahalo
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by 308GUY »

Things we already knew about TS...but always great to see it in print and from a source that reaches/reached people that might've guessed otherwise.

Keep em' comin' RG!

Don't burn yourself out...you sure know what questions to ask that puter' of yourn! :magnum:

Loving the history lesson of the show and the people that made it great. :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote: Loving the history lesson of the show and the people that made it great. :higgins:
Me too, these articles are such fun. I thought I'd start looking for some early articles about MPI so here's a good one from 1979.

Star-Bulletin, December 7, 1979...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Honolulu Advertiser, June 9, 1981...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Star-Bulletin, September 7, 1986 (I'll also post this in the Kristen Carreira thread)...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I just posted two articles, one on Kristen Carreira and another on Bellisario, but because I posted the Bellisario article first, it landed on page 2 of this thread...just a heads up...didn't want anyone to jump to the Carreira article & miss Bellisario. :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Honolulu Advertiser, March 1, 1981...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Honolulu Advertiser, March 11, 1984...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

A couple of John Hillerman articles from 1987...

Star-Bulletin, September 21, 1987...

Honolulu Advertiser, September 28, 1987...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Honolulu Advertiser, November 23, 1981..."Magnum Mania"? :shock:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Star-Bulletin, June 17, 1986...

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Honolulu Advertiser, November 23, 1981..."Magnum Mania"? :shock:

A fun article there RG.
I noticed the reporter butchered poor Nancy's maiden name DeCarl to Dicarla.....unless DeCarl has something to do with her stage name and Dicarla is her actual maiden name (guessing here) Does anyone know for sure?
Then I noticed that Nancy didn't even make MM's Character Section ( under Other Notable Characters ).....I know she had two really small roles on MPI, but her marriage to Larry should carry some weight, giving her access to this section. I also think their marriage would make a great addition to the Trivia Section too.....maybe even noting her reporter role in there.....Nancy DeCarl used her real name as a newscaster in the episode The Legacy of Garwood Huddle. I know she is mentioned in the Episode Section for both of her roles, but I think she deserves a bit more recognition.....heck, the actor who played Kengi/Kenji :wink: made the cut and we still haven't figured out his real name...he is down as unkown. Has anyone figured out that mystery? Anyway, just throwing it out there Doc. :)

Here is a bit of her acting background....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1049328/

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:
A fun article there RG.
I noticed the reporter butchered poor Nancy's maiden name DeCarl to Dicarla.....unless DeCarl has something to do with her stage name and Dicarla is her actual maiden name (guessing here) Does anyone know for sure?
I did some research on Nancy's last name, and as you already posted, her imdb filmography has her listed as Nancy Ann DeCarl on Death Valley Days in 1957 when she was 9. I couldn't find any information about her birth name though, sorry. Here's a little more about Nancy:

She was first runner up in the Miss Teen USA pageant when she was 15.

In 1971 she married Ron Samuels, the Hollywood personal manager/producer. He managed the careers of Jaclyn Smith, Lindsay Wagner, Lynda Carter, and others. I don't know when Nancy & Ron divorced, but he married Lynda Carter in '77 (divorced in '82).

Just for fun, here's a quick snippet of Nancy when she was 10 on Hitcock's Suspicion tv series: https://youtu.be/Czwo31mAlNg?t=43m53s

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Honolulu Advertiser, March 11, 1984...

Hi Rembrandt's Girl,
Thanks for sharing these articles. I wonder if anyone might explain Roger Mosley's remark that "there's nothing here for me as a black person".
Is it because there is racism directed at mainlanders of any background by native Hawaiians?
If Hawaiian tourists visited my state they wouldn't be greeted with disdain and rudeness merely because they were islanders.
More than a few times when I have speculated about visiting the islands people have urged me not to and related to me ugly stories of racist behavior directed at them.
Nor does the term "Haole" when hurled at a innocent tourist sound at all friendly to me.
I would never use such a demeaning term about my fellow Americans just because they happen to hail from the other 49 states. Sounds cowardly to boot to me, if you mean to insult a man do it plainly and not hide behind the local argot.
It doesn't make sense to me for a economy based so much on tourism to insult the punters providing one with a living.
However I have never been to the islands and would appreciate being clued in as to what the situation is. Perhaps Mosley is one of those people who feel ill at ease in different cultures(I on the other hand embrace them) and the fault lies in himself, not with the Hawaiians, thus he would have cheated himself of a worthwhile experience.