Magnum P.I. lead to my Tiki passion

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Brian
Fleet Admiral

Magnum P.I. lead to my Tiki passion

#1 Post by Brian »

My love for Magnum P.I. was the beginning of my love for Hawaii which lead to a passion for all things Tiki. Has anyone else had Magnum sparks similar interests?
Sneakers Higgins!!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Magnum P.I. lead to my Tiki passion

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

I will say with confidence that I fall firmly in the same category. :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Short shorts, aloha shirts, moustaches...

But seriously, I'd probably say Hawaii itself. History, geography, culture, cocktails!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Brian wrote:My love for Magnum P.I. was the beginning of my love for Hawaii which lead to a passion for all things Tiki. Has anyone else had Magnum sparks similar interests?
Back in the 1980's I discovered, deep in the bowels of the Plaza Hotel and known to few, Trader Vics Tiki Bar.
It was an oasis of serenity in Manhattan, with a staff of bartenders who could make any drink in the world. While the public and tourists would flock to the world famous(the bar Cary Grant drank in in North By Northwest) Oak Bar upstairs, serious drinking celebs like Richard Nixon would be at Vic's knocking back the rum drinks at the 3 sided bar that had 12 seats, with maybe 15 tables for other patrons.
The 2nd time I was there a older man and two younger guys brushed past me on the stairs as I entered and sat down on a still warm bar stool, Charlie the Bartender informing me Nixon had just vacated it.
Anyway, anytime I spy a new tiki joint I have to go in, I love the atmosphere.
This may be a really dumb question, but what is "all things tiki"? I thought tiki only referred to tiki bars.

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Brian »

Great story Luther's nephew Dobie!! I have yet to enter any Tiki bar, I live in a sleepy town in Iowa. There is "Three Dots and a Dash" in Chicago that I'm planning on visiting this summer.

The whole all things Tiki for me is, collecting Tiki decor for my home. Everything from Art, Lauhala Matting, Music, Tiki mugs, Unique Lighting, Tropical Nautical decor, and Hawaiian Antiquities.

The Magnum Gear page kicked it off. I wanted to track down items Magnum had and used. The Vuarnet sunglasses, Team ring, Paradise Found Shirt, Deck shoes, Pumas and so much more.

I even started to collecting similar things in the Guest House.
Sneakers Higgins!!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Brian wrote:Great story Luther's nephew Dobie!! I have yet to enter any Tiki bar, I live in a sleepy town in Iowa. There is "Three Dots and a Dash" in Chicago that I'm planning on visiting this summer.
The whole all things Tiki for me is, collecting Tiki decor for my home. Everything from Art, Lauhala Matting, Music, Tiki mugs, Unique Lighting, Tropical Nautical decor, and Hawaiian Antiquities.
The Magnum Gear page kicked it off. I wanted to track down items Magnum had and used. The Vuarnet sunglasses, Team ring, Paradise Found Shirt, Deck shoes, Pumas and so much more.
I even started to collecting similar things in the Guest House.
Hi Brian,
I defy you to find a Tiki style rubber chicken for your collection. :)
Iowa huh? my ancestors settled there in the 1850's and as the family spread across the nation we were always proud of hailing from there, I bet a lot of people would love to live in your "sleepy Iowa town".
When you go to Chicago, check out the famous Palmer House Hotel, they have a Trader Vic's there too, at least when I was there around 1990.
The back of the drinks menu had a drawing of famous bars, one was of Hemingway's local in Havana, the La Florida, where he invented the Papa Doble and held the house record of 16 in one night. Inspired by the menu depiction I asked for a Papa Doble, which they didn't know how to make, but after hearing the history of the Papa Doble the manager said if I provided the recipe I could drink for free. Bad deal on his part, I kept ordering the rum bowls for five persons with straws, my pals having shown up after spending the afternoon at Wrigley and we closed the joint many hours later.
Brian, you collect Hawaiian music, is there anything in particular you could recommend? Not the Don Ho but the real deal sounds. Thank you.

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Brian »

I've been enjoying a YouTube page called "Hawaiian Leisure Hour". https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSzJ6P ... Q/featured

I've picked up a few 49TH State Records off ebay and Les Baxter as well. I dig the vintage Exotica and Hawaiian music from the 1920's & 30's

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check out Palmer House Hotel. Now I'm on a search for a Tiki style rubber chicken.
Sneakers Higgins!!

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#8 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Trader Vic's in the Chicago Palmer House Hilton closed around 2005. They reopened elsewhere with new investors but closed within a year. Three Dots and a Dash is a great place but filled with the cool crowd. There is no kitsch there; if that's what you're looking for. I spend a few days a month in Chicago.
Faith and Begorrah!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by KENJI »

A few interesting links on Three Dots and a Dash.............

http://imbibemagazine.com/three-dots-and-a-dash-recipe/

http://threedotschicago.com/

This event might interest you Brian! If you can't go maybe they have a shirt or something that you can add to the tiki collection........

https://thehukilau.com/

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Brian »

Thanks for the info Fr. Paddy McGuinness! That's unfortunate the Palmer House closed.

Thanks for the links KENJI! The Hukilau looks like a blast!
Sneakers Higgins!!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Steve »

There are a couple of Tiki Bars around the Chicago area that are full of "kitsch" without the attitude...One of the most famous is Hala Kahiki....
http://chicagotikibar.com/tiki-bar-history/ in a suburb just southeast of O'Hare airport....I saw Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge in Minneapolis on the Travel Channel and am dying to try it out.
http://psychosuzis.com/
I was in Minneapolis last month for a funeral but couldn't talk my old College buddies into going downtown so I could check it out :cry:
(I embarrassed many a girlfriend plus a few employees, business associates and visiting family members back in the eighties insisting on wearing a hawaiian shirt if we went to Trader Vics at The Palmer House)

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Brian »

Thanks Steve for the recommendation! Hala Kahiki looks pretty cool and I like their menu.
Sneakers Higgins!!

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#13 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Brian there is also a place called Tiki Terrace in Des Plaines, IL. That's just 5 minutes north of O'Hare Airport and right off the interstate if you're driving in from Iowa. I saw the band HAPA there about 8 or 9 years ago.

https://www.thetikiterrace.com
Faith and Begorrah!

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Brian »

Sneakers Higgins!!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

Brian wrote:Magnum P.I.'-inspired tiki cocktailhttp://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/l ... story.html

Sounds good to me and that bar on Hollywood Blvd is now a must stop if I ever get to L.A. (Someone needs to tell that owner about this site)