Magnum the Just, Magnum the Merciful

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Work The Lock
Lieutenant

Magnum the Just, Magnum the Merciful

#1 Post by Work The Lock »

It's thought-provoking how the two top-rated episodes by MM users, Did You See the Sunrise and Unfinished Business,had little to do with the "P.I." side of Magnum, but the Vietnam vet struggling with his humanity.

Both climax with Magnum confronted by ghosts of Vietnam with the same moral dilemma: to take a life or grant one. Magnum could be reasonably justified in executing either still-evil Ivan in Sunrise or Quang Ki in Unfinished Business. Indeed, even though the justice he meted to Ivan was pretty shocking (especially if you saw the original broadcast), deep down most viewers understood that it closed a murderous chapter that would probably have continued. The thing that strikes me is the core empathy always present in Magnum, where by the final season he literally has his wife's and daughter's killer in his cross-hairs, but, being tired of death and seeing a glimpse of redemption in the form of even one POW coming home, he chooses mercy.
Last edited by Work The Lock on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Magnum the Just, Magnum the Merciful

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

Work The Lock wrote:It's though-provoking how the two top-rated episodes by MM users, Did You See the Sunrise and Unfinished Business,had little to do with the "P.I." side of Magnum, but the Vietnam vet struggling with his humanity.

Both climax with Magnum confronted by ghosts of Vietnam with the same moral dilemma: to take a life or grant one. Magnum could be reasonably justified in executing either still-evil Ivan in Sunrise or Quang Ki in Unfinished Business. Indeed, even though the justice he meted to Ivan was pretty shocking (especially if you saw the original broadcast), but deep down most viewers understood that it closed a murderous chapter that would probably have continued. The thing that strikes me is the core empathy that was always present in Magnum, where by the final season he literally has his wife's and daughter's killer in his cross-hairs, but, being tired of death and seeing a glimpse of redemption in the form of even one POW coming home, he chooses mercy. Awesome and timeless!
Well said Work the Lock!

Too many overlook the depth of the show and the characters, choosing to focus on short shorts, hot cars and scantily clad figures, both male and female, not bothering to acknowledge the underlying current and theme of loyalty & honor these men had and how they each, but specifically Thomas, transitioned from war to "civilized" society again.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04