In what order do you watch the show?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

In show order
58%
Watch the seasons out of order, but watch a season's episodes in order
No votes
I only watch a few favorite episodes
No votes
I watch in random order
11%
I pick episodes to watch, but not in any order
32%
Something else
No votes

Total votes: 19

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#1 Post by eagle »

Hi, all.

A comment made by Mrs. Higgins in another thread made me wonder: In what order do most people watch the show?
I've had the entire series on DVD for well over a year now and I STILL have not seen every episode. I have read the episode guides on Magnum Mania and selected which ones to watch base on the synopsis.

On the other hand, there are several which I have watched on numerous occasions.
So, my first poll...

As for me, I watch the episodes in show order, then go back to the start. It takes me about 2 years to go through the show. I'm currently on season 5 episode 4.

:magnum: :higgins: :magnum: :higgins:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: In what order do you watch the show?

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

It's complicated .... I usually am watching the show in order at any given time right now I am at the beginning of season 4.

But .... I will pop in an episode that's relevant to a time - Home From the Sea on Independence Day or Operation: Silent Night on Christmas - and often personal faves when I feel like it or need a boost.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

Well.....ya'll are gonna call me names for this one...

I watch it order....BUT....I have it set up on three different TV's.

I have DVD's on our main TV...in the blue ray player, so we can still watch other disc's in either the DVD/VCR player/recorder or the DVD in the Surround Sound deck without disturbing the MPI disc.

At the shop, I have DVD's in the player there...nobody but me ever goes there, so where I leave it is where it stays.

Upstairs at the house, I have VCR tapes in the DVD/VCR player/recorder there. Wife doesn't have/watch any tapes, so that one stays where I put it too.

So short version. I don't start them all at the same time, so I usually have 3 different seasons going all at the same time! :magnum:

Don't get the wrong idea here, describing like this here, makes it sound like all I do is watch MPI...NOT the case, even if I'd like it that way. I just have them set up so I CAN watch them whenever I feel like it and the opportunity presents itself....yea....I might have a "problem" :lol: But it's not a problem for me!LOL 8)

I do the same thing that Conch describes above. "Special" episodes for special occasions. Always look forward to "Home From the Sea" and "Operation Silent Night", especially.

"I know what you're thinking...and er...you could be right!" :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by eagle »

308GUY, I love it - haha.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by MHTR »

When I was in the process of buying the individual season DVDs, I bought them in season order, and watched the episodes in order also. When I got down to about the last few episodes of a season, I ordered the next season (from Amazon).

ConchRepublican

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:Well.....ya'll are gonna call me names for this one...

I watch it order....BUT....I have it set up on three different TV's.

I have DVD's on our main TV...in the blue ray player, so we can still watch other disc's in either the DVD/VCR player/recorder or the DVD in the Surround Sound deck without disturbing the MPI disc.

At the shop, I have DVD's in the player there...nobody but me ever goes there, so where I leave it is where it stays.

Upstairs at the house, I have VCR tapes in the DVD/VCR player/recorder there. Wife doesn't have/watch any tapes, so that one stays where I put it too.

So short version. I don't start them all at the same time, so I usually have 3 different seasons going all at the same time! :magnum:

Don't get the wrong idea here, describing like this here, makes it sound like all I do is watch MPI...NOT the case, even if I'd like it that way. I just have them set up so I CAN watch them whenever I feel like it and the opportunity presents itself....yea....I might have a "problem" :lol: But it's not a problem for me!LOL 8)

I do the same thing that Conch describes above. "Special" episodes for special occasions. Always look forward to "Home From the Sea" and "Operation Silent Night", especially.

"I know what you're thinking...and er...you could be right!" :magnum:
You win.

:lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot

Magnus NP
Ensign

#7 Post by Magnus NP »

I enjoy watching them in order but I usually watch J. Digger Doyle fairly often for some unknown reason.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by Danny Lin »

I bought the DVD collection recently and I´m watching them in order, taking my time to really squeeze everything out of each episode. It´s going to take quite a while to get through all episodes even once... Fun!! :P
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote: You win.

:lol:
LOL! :lol: You crack me up!

What....you mean EVERYBODY doesn't do it this way??? :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by eagle »

Magnus NP wrote:I enjoy watching them in order but I usually watch J. Digger Doyle fairly often for some unknown reason.
Magnus, you and I might suffer from the same, ah, affliction.

ConchRepublican

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

eagle wrote:
Magnus NP wrote:I enjoy watching them in order but I usually watch J. Digger Doyle fairly often for some unknown reason.
Magnus, you and I might suffer from the same, ah, affliction.
To paraphrase Naughty By Nature:
"you down with JDD? Yeah you know we!"
CoziTV Superfan spot

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

I never purchased the DVD's beyond season 4 as Encore shows the episodes in order and uncut so I watch mostly in order. I may skip a few episodes depending on my schedule or just plain burn out on the weaker episodes.... Anyone else wish they would release a DVD collectors edition with outtakes and commentary.........

BWheelz54
Admiral

#13 Post by BWheelz54 »

I would love a collector's edition of the complete series. Someone on the Mania site here once had the idea of including a thick, coffee table book filled with photos from the show, and I love to think how that book might look with pictures of so many Hawaiian locations. I hear rumor from time to time that Selleck is interested in returning somehow to Magnum. I don't think it's at all likely he ever will. But maybe doing some commentary for a special DVD collection might give Selleck a bit of a chance to step back into Thomas. I think the show sure deserves some special handling and a really unique offering of the series.

*** And I like to watch the show in chronological order from my own set of DVDs. I'm always interested to see the changes in the series as the show progresses through its run. Outsiders might not ever sense it, but I'm often impressed by all the changes that went on during the show, and watching the episodes in order helps me see them.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by steveadl »

I watch episodes in order, however these days I'll usually skip weaker episodes I don't like as much.

One good thing at the moment is I have very little spare time these days anymore so don't get a chance to watch the show. So down the track when I re-commence, it will have been a long time between drinks which always makes it more exciting to revisit.

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Brian »

All in order for me. I watched the first season episodes on the 30th anniversary of there air dates. It was a blast and it felt more like a special event when I watched them.
Sneakers Higgins!!