Magnum transports me... does this make any sense?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Magnum transports me... does this make any sense?

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Danno wrote:This is a great topic.

I've been to Hawaii many times and visited the Estate often- but I always feel slightly melancholic when I'm at the tidal pool.
It's beautiful but there's this overwhelming ghost of the past. It makes you realise the show was filmed and finished a long time ago.

Besides the nostalgia for the 1980s, I think what makes Magnum so resonant can be reduced down to a simple truth of life- we're all alone in the universe, but friendship and family make it amazing.
Very poignant Danno. Thanks.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by 308GUY »

Styles Bitchley wrote:

I've been to Hawaii many times and visited the Estate often- but I always feel slightly melancholic when I'm at the tidal pool.
It's beautiful but there's this overwhelming ghost of the past. It makes you realise the show was filmed and finished a long time ago.

Besides the nostalgia for the 1980s, I think what makes Magnum so resonant can be reduced down to a simple truth of life- we're all alone in the universe, but friendship and family make it amazing.
Quite..... :higgins:

I've not made it there....yet.....but the feeling you describe seems to permeate my mind even when observing pictures that others have taken when they were there.

Not quite the same, but have had kind of the same feeling when visiting a known battlefield where many laid down their lives...just standing on that same ground seems to somewhat transport the psyche, and invade the body with vibrations from the past.

Well said Danno AND Styles.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by eagle »

308GUY wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:

Quite..... :higgins:
"Quite" - I see what you did there. :magnum:

And, I agree with all of you here -- this is certainly one of the reasons the show resonates so well. Maybe it is precisely the reason.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by steveadl »

Definitely know where you're coming from.

Magnum transports me both to Hawaii and the 1980's. Both an awesome escape in an of themselves, and together - perfect!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MagnumILWU »

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59E42493 It always takes me right back to the 80's! Good times! Late 20's early 30's! Grew my mustache, and the girls loved it! It was fun to live a Magnum like lifestyle, even if you didn't have all the cool things he had!
"pickled egg please"

Rolie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#16 Post by Rolie »

Back in the day, when the original Magnum PI forum was at it's apex, all that participated were anxious to share our thoughts and live out each and every episode that aired on AE. To be transported then is as it still is today at least for this boomer. I'd call ahead as I sped home a few minutes before five each day, park and zoom in to the den, with baseball hat and beer in her hand, a quick hello and smooch, my wife would always politely laugh at my obsession as I'd sink into a trance for an hour, in my own little world. Popcorn would follow as she'd join me even though she was not as big of a fan as I. To this day, I try as best as I can to continue the tradition. Yes, here in Central Florida, brother Magnum is no where to be found on the tube but in the head, the psyche lives on. I 've refused to get the DVD's as that's to easy and it's not the same as sharing the moment we all had after the EP's were over. Damn good times. The years have gone by both good and bad but the Magnum remains part of it. Like Marie always said.... Life is short-Live it well. Later, Rolie :D

Michelle_Hue
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#17 Post by Michelle_Hue »

steveadl wrote:
Magnum transports me both to Hawaii and the 1980's. Both an awesome escape in an of themselves, and together - perfect!
One of the reasons I love Magnum so much is that I went to Hawaii (Maui) in 1986 when I was 10 yrs old. It was a transformative experience for me, and I now live on Maui and love it...but I find myself longing for the 'old Hawaii' that first captivated me in the mid-80s. Magnum P.I. perfectly shows Hawaii in the 1980s. Nowadays, life is much more fast paced & the restaurants here blare loud music and try so hard to create a high-energy atmosphere.... but back then the restaurants were dimly lit and played piano lounge music or traditional slide guitar Hawaiian music - which you rarely hear anymore. The difference is palpable. Back then, there were no people staring at their smart phones, people were much more relaxed, leisurely and present. It was just such a chill time - before the internet, smart phones, and social media took over.

Although I love living in Hawaii today, that time & place still exists deep inside me and I find myself gravitating toward older places that haven't been remodeled, that still look like they did back in the 80s - other people might see those types of places as looking dated or run-down, I look at it in a nostalgic way because it reminds me of the Hawaii I remember from my childhood. Magnum P.I. also takes me back to the Hawaii of that long gone time period and that's a big part of the reason I love it.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by Nikita70 »

Michelle_Hue wrote:
steveadl wrote:
One of the reasons I love Magnum so much is that I went to Hawaii (Maui) in 1986 when I was 10 yrs old. It was a transformative experience for me, and I now live on Maui and love it...but I find myself longing for the 'old Hawaii' that first captivated me in the mid-80s. Magnum P.I. perfectly shows Hawaii in the 1980s. Nowadays, life is much more fast paced & the restaurants here blare loud music and try so hard to create a high-energy atmosphere.... but back then the restaurants were dimly lit and played piano lounge music or traditional slide guitar Hawaiian music - which you rarely hear anymore. The difference is palpable. Back then, there were no people staring at their smart phones, people were much more relaxed, leisurely and present. It was just such a chill time - before the internet, smart phones, and social media took over.

Although I love living in Hawaii today, that time & place still exists deep inside me and I find myself gravitating toward older places that haven't been remodeled, that still look like they did back in the 80s - other people might see those types of places as looking dated or run-down, I look at it in a nostalgic way because it reminds me of the Hawaii I remember from my childhood. Magnum P.I. also takes me back to the Hawaii of that long gone time period and that's a big part of the reason I love it.

I have never been to Hawaii but I really hope to one day. I realize it won’t be like it is on Magnum. Yet still there’s a longing to go, stay a week if possible, see the sights, even though the estate is gone. The trip wouldn’t be complete without swimming in the tidal pool, assuming SS agents don’t prevent that.

Magnum was part of my childhood too. I was 11 when it premiered. The 80’s were and still are my favorite period of my life. Not that I don’t like my life now, I certainly do. Yet it was a simpler time in so many ways. That is part of the mystique of Magnum and other shows as well, for me at least. They’re a time capsule, not just of the actors and stories but of fashions, music, architecture, cars, technology, etc. All of these things add to my enjoyment of watching these old shows.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by eagle »

Michelle_Hue wrote:Although I love living in Hawaii today, that time & place still exists deep inside me and I find myself gravitating toward older places that haven't been remodeled, that still look like they did back in the 80s - other people might see those types of places as looking dated or run-down, I look at it in a nostalgic way because it reminds me of the Hawaii I remember from my childhood. Magnum P.I. also takes me back to the Hawaii of that long gone time period and that's a big part of the reason I love it.
Michelle_Hue, this is exactly one of the reasons I like the show. I frequently talk to my wife and friends about movies and shows that are windows to a different time and place. This is one of the reasons why I love the movie "Frantic." It really isn't that great a movie, but I absolutely love it, for it presents a very clear window into 1980s Europe, specifically Paris. Magnum, p.i. does that for 1980s Hawaii.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#20 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nikita70 wrote:
Michelle_Hue wrote:
steveadl wrote:

I have never been to Hawaii but I really hope to one day. I realize it won’t be like it is on Magnum. Yet still there’s a longing to go, stay a week if possible, see the sights, even though the estate is gone. The trip wouldn’t be complete without swimming in the tidal pool, assuming SS agents don’t prevent that.

Magnum was part of my childhood too. I was 11 when it premiered. The 80’s were and still are my favorite period of my life. Not that I don’t like my life now, I certainly do. Yet it was a simpler time in so many ways. That is part of the mystique of Magnum and other shows as well, for me at least. They’re a time capsule, not just of the actors and stories but of fashions, music, architecture, cars, technology, etc. All of these things add to my enjoyment of watching these old shows.
Yes to all that!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Macho Taco
Lieutenant

#21 Post by Macho Taco »

I agree with so much of what has already been posted; here's my addition...

I was 10 when Magnum first aired. Thus, the eight-year run of the show coincided with my own "Coming of Age" from 5th grader to senior year of high school. Today, I watch the entire series at least once every two years, and find the rhythms of the show like a visit from an old friend. My wife makes a pan of brownies for comfort food...I don't need brownies, all I need is an episode of the greatest show of all time. Now that's comfort!

During the halcyon 80s, my friends and I were sports fanatics. Imagine our delight when we saw this charismatic detective who was also the best athlete we'd ever seen on the small screen. Selleck/Magnum did it all: surf-ski, jog, beach volleyball, baseball, football, and most importantly, he could dunk a basketball!! Nowadays, I suppose youth would call that "street cred." Back then, we just thought it was freakin' awesome!

Higgins would quote some appropriate line of poetry at this point in the script, so I might as well do the same: "My joy of youthful sports was on thy breast to be borne, like thy bubbles, onward." (Lord Byron)

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by T.Q. »

Michelle_Hue wrote:
steveadl wrote:

So true.

Never lived in Hawaii but have been blessed to spend 1 month a year (Maui) since childhood there with almost equal number (although short 2/3 days) stops in Oahu.

I agree with everything you said about Hawai’i in the 80s and the difference now.

Every year I long for the old. Whether Waikiki or Lahaina.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:
I guess the short version of what I was rambling about is that it's like visiting old friends when I watch the show. There's a comfort hearing the voices and the music and the sounds. It takes me back to place I both remember then and see with a different perspective now.

And, I gotta tell ya, it ticks me off when people just pick on the superficial things like shorts, car chases and bimbos. All they'd have to do is watch the pilot movie with an open mind and they'd get the show, but . . .
“I guess the short version of what I was rambling about is that it's like visiting old friends when I watch the show. There's a comfort hearing the voices and the music and the sounds. It takes me back to place I both remember then and see with a different perspective now.”

This. :)
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

knight8882
Lieutenant

#24 Post by knight8882 »

eagle wrote:
Michelle_Hue wrote:Although I love living in Hawaii today, that time & place still exists deep inside me and I find myself gravitating toward older places that haven't been remodeled, that still look like they did back in the 80s - other people might see those types of places as looking dated or run-down, I look at it in a nostalgic way because it reminds me of the Hawaii I remember from my childhood. Magnum P.I. also takes me back to the Hawaii of that long gone time period and that's a big part of the reason I love it.
Michelle_Hue, this is exactly one of the reasons I like the show. I frequently talk to my wife and friends about movies and shows that are windows to a different time and place. This is one of the reasons why I love the movie "Frantic." It really isn't that great a movie, but I absolutely love it, for it presents a very clear window into 1980s Europe, specifically Paris. Magnum, p.i. does that for 1980s Hawaii.
Yes, windows to a different time and place. Like Michelle_Hue, I also love visiting places that haven't been updated to modern. I relish the opportunity to walk into a paneled room from the '70s/'80s, for example, and picture in my mind what it must have been like to be there during that time. I love watching any old show, regardless of how good it is, because I get to see what the world looked like at that time - the architecture, the cars, the fashion, everything. However, Magnum's world and 1980s Hawaii will always be my favorite time and place to be transported to.
Magnum, remember what I told you about Robin Masters?

I lied.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Magnum transports me..." Yes, it makes perfect sense! All the posts in this thread, thank you! I share the same sentiments. It's a once in a lifetime, truly special show that will never be forgotten! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!