The team ring worn upside down!!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

The team ring worn upside down!!

#1 Post by Danny Lin »

When watching "Don´t eat the snow in Hawaii" I spotted a scene in which the team ring was worn upside down (not as usual with the lower end of the Cross of Lorraine towards the finger tip) :shock: :shock: :o :o. A flub that in fact hadn´t been mentioned before. I made a post on the subject on the thread for the first episode:

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=90

It´s the third post on that thread.

But since this is an issue that concerns the Magnum-main-gear and all of the episodes I thought I´d put a new topic on this forum.

Has anyone of you spotted a scene in which the team ring was worn upside down as well in any other episode?

Any other thoughts on this topic?
Last edited by Danny Lin on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: The team ring worn upside down!!

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

I had caught that as well and wondered how that got past everyone.

I have been on the lookout and haven't seen it occur since . . . but I haven't been as focused on my MPI PhD as often as I should be lately. :-)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Danny Lin »

Hi Conch!

Right? To me this was really kind of a big thing when I spotted it, since the ring and the Cross of Lorrain itself are probably THE most iconic symbol connected to MPI. One really should think that a flub like that couldn´t be overlooked.

On the other hand, if someone saw it after the shots were made, it is certainly very well possible that they purposely didn´t do retakes because of the expenses that would have meant. After all the scene in question is a scene from the pilot. When that was shot it wasn´t clear whether or not the show was to be continued.

Anyway I wonder if there are some guidelines in existence on which way a ring should be worn if it depicts something that can be considered to be seen upright or upside down from one side. Should it be worn to be seen upright for a person looking at the back of the hand of the person wearing the ring from an opposite position (as they do on MPI) or vice versa?

Anyway I´ll be having an eye on that topic working myself through all the 158 episodes I have left to rewatch :P (really gonna take a while) :D

You, Conch, I wish a fun time working on your MPI PhD! I´m still far away from that, but I´m having so much fun since I rediscovered the show and discovered this forum! No boredom ahead...
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

Just a "footnote" (or should that be "fingernote".. :lol: ) TC seems to wear his on his left hand most of the time, and on the "pinky" finger instead of the ring finger.

Also, IIRC, he seems to wear it "upside down" at least half the times I've noticed.

MPI PHD HA! Seems there are more than a few here who should be awarded an honorary degree already, judging by the volume of knowledge displayed on nearly every subject broached through the years. JJ, must be the dean who passes them out, and rubberchicken AT LEAST a high ranking administrator! Too many others to even begin mentioning every name, you all know who you are. :D One of the things that keeps me coming back, over and over. Nothing I can think of that somebody here doesn't know not only the answer to, but the history of that answer! :higgins:

Just an observation. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by Danny Lin »

@308guy:

Yes, I noticed that there has been a discussion on the question on which hand the ring should be worn, left or right? As far as I remember there was no definite answer found. And since there are left handed as well as right handed people, it might well be left to the individual to decide what they like best.

Even on which finger the ring is worn certainly could be considered up to personal preference and so could be the question which way the ring should be worn, upright or upside down.

But since I never before realized anyone wearing the ring with the upper end of the Cross of Lorraine towards the finger tip, I was very surprised to find that in that one short scene in the pilot. Especially in the pilot where the whole team is depicted in the flashbacks to Vietnam everybody always wore the ring the same way.

Having observed that very cautiously, I´m certainly very surprised to read that you found TC to wear the ring upside down at least half the times you noticed. After what I observed I would have made any bet that so is not the case...

I´ll let everyone know what I find according this issue during rewatching all episodes. As I mentioned above that is quite going to take a while. Certainly any contribution on this issue is very welcome!

On the knowledge of the people on this forum: It is just amazing how much people love this show and how much they learned about it! I´d make any bet that even Tom Selleck would find facts about the show he didn´t know on this great site. Who knows: Perhaps he lurks from time to time. :wink:

And even if there doesn´t seem to be that much active contribution on here lately, the site is very much fun to spend time on. It´s a real find for me. A treasure!

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by Danny Lin »

In episode six, "Skin Deep", TC wears his ring upside down when he makes the emergency call from the island. In the sequences before and after he wears the ring the right way.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by Danny Lin »

In episode eight, "The Uggliest Dog in Hawaii", TC wears his ring upside down during his phone call with Magnum (when Magnum rings him from the gas station).

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by Danny Lin »

On another sequence with the team ring worn upside down (in "Lest We Forget", # 1.10):
IslandHopper wrote:

The KKC is also the scene of a flub or multiple flubs depending on how you look at it. The flub occurs when Magnum and Rick are sitting at the bar with Moki as the bartender. Magnum is talking with Rick about his case and Rick sees Higgins walk in and thinks he is going to yell at him because Magnum is not wearing a jacket. As Magnum and Rick are sitting at the bar, notice that (1) Rick has his team ring on his right ring finger; (2) Rick also has a gold bracelet on his right wrist; and (3) Rick has his watch on his left wrist. Higgins walks over and asks Magnum how his investigation is progressing and so on. Higgins walks away followed by Magnum (Rick still has his team ring on his right hand, bracelet on right arm and watch on left arm). The camera cuts to a close up of Moki looking at Rick in shock because Higgins, rather than chastise Magnum and Rick, offered to help Magnum and even pay for Magnum‘s beer. The camera then cuts to a close-up of Rick (side view) sitting at the bar and his left hand is on the bar and you can clearly see (1) his team ring is now on his left finger; (2) the gold bracelet is now on his left wrist; and (3) the watch is on his right wrist. It doesn’t appear to be a reverse image because Rick is sitting in the same place, same background, etc.

Right. And in addition to all that Rick wears the team ring upside down, as well in the sequence with the ring on the right hand as in the sequence with the ring on the left hand!

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by Danny Lin »

The team ring worn upside down by Magnum (or a double) in "Thicker than Blood":

In the sequence in which Magnum pushes the button on the blender, he wears his team ring upside down in despite of the fact that he was wearing it the right way just some seconds before, when he was pouring the Tabasco in the measuring cup. The sequence in which he pushes the button on the blender seems to be produced at a different point of time as the rest of the sequences having to do with the blending of the drink. Firstly the blending machine is positioned on the work bench and not on the dining table in all sequences in which Magnums face and body can bee seen and secondly the team ring is worn upside down when only Magnums hands can be seen. Perhaps that sequence was shot with the same person as a double who wore the team ring upside down through those stock footage sequences in the Ferrari that were used in the trailer too since the first episode.