Magnum & Higgins - John Wayne Quote

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Magnum & Higgins - John Wayne Quote

#1 Post by marlboro »

Was there an episode where Higgins uses an historical quote and Thomas compares it to John Wayne's "A Man's Gotta Do what a man's gotta do" quote?

Did I imagine this, or see a similar scene in another show, or did it take place on Magnum PI?

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

Re: Magnum & Higgins - John Wayne Quote

#2 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

I think it's on Echoes of the mind part 1 when Higgins leaves Diane's house

Season five. :D
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#3 Post by marlboro »

Awesome. Thank you very much!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumILWU »

marlboro wrote:Was there an episode where Higgins uses an historical quote and Thomas compares it to John Wayne's "A Man's Gotta Do what a man's gotta do" quote?

Did I imagine this, or see a similar scene in another show, or did it take place on Magnum PI?
John Wayne misquote! John Wayne never said that in any movie! Often credited from Stagecoach or Hondo, but just not true!
"pickled egg please"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumILWU wrote:
marlboro wrote:Was there an episode where Higgins uses an historical quote and Thomas compares it to John Wayne's "A Man's Gotta Do what a man's gotta do" quote?
John Wayne misquote! John Wayne never said that in any movie! Often credited from Stagecoach or Hondo, but just not true!
Hi MagnumILWU,
You are right, sir. What happened is, comic impressionists thought it sounded like something the Duke would say and used it in their acts, where the line became a staple. Kind of like doing the "Judy Judy Judy" bit to imitate Cary Grant, who never said that either, but it also became a staple bit after umpteen reruns of Goober Pyle doing it on the Andy Griffith Show.
It's actually from Shane(it's a shame if you haven't seen Shane), sort of: "I couldn't do what I gotta do if I hadn't always knowed that I could trust ya" in conjunction with "A man has to be what he is."
Dobie

Old man eyeing a replacement gift puppy from the constable who shot his elderly dog: "I reckon I got one dog left in me...they only last about 10 years and I reckon that's about all I got left."
episode one Blue Heelers
(As a dog lover I find that speaks to me, somehow)