Ferrari 70th Anniversary: The Magnum PI

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kepania
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ferrari 70th Anniversary: The Magnum PI

#1 Post by Kepania »

Ferrari has created a special edition for each of 70 iconic cars to celebrate its 70th anniversary.

One of them is The Magnum PI http://bit.do/TheMagnumPIFerrari

Photo source: auto.ferrari.com/en_EN

It looks stunning, but I still prefer the old Ferrari 308 GTS! :)

Photo source: ferrari308gts.com
Don't you ever knock?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ferrari 70th Anniversary: The Magnum PI

#2 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome Kepania.

Thanks for posting, hadn't seen/heard of this as of yet.

I'm with you though......the original 308 will probably always be the epitome of what a sports car should be, for me. Maybe it's just the MPI tie-in, but either way, no matter how many years pass...it will always be "it" for me.

Maybe the new one is a glimpse of what Lily will drive in the "new" MPI??? :lol: Don't know who's going to pay for it though RM is probably long gone...unless he left the estate to TM..or JQH.....or wait.....maybe Wilson MacLeish actually DID leave his entire fortune to TS when he flew off into the sunset for the last time! :lol: :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

The original is still the best. The new one looks too try-hard to me! LOL!

Kepania
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#4 Post by Kepania »

308GUY wrote:Welcome Kepania.

Thanks for posting, hadn't seen/heard of this as of yet.

I'm with you though......the original 308 will probably always be the epitome of what a sports car should be, for me. Maybe it's just the MPI tie-in, but either way, no matter how many years pass...it will always be "it" for me.

Maybe the new one is a glimpse of what Lily will drive in the "new" MPI??? :lol: Don't know who's going to pay for it though RM is probably long gone...unless he left the estate to TM..or JQH.....or wait.....maybe Wilson MacLeish actually DID leave his entire fortune to TS when he flew off into the sunset for the last time! :lol: :magnum:
Thank you 308GUY! I have registered just recently, but have been a fan of magnum-mania.com for years.

The new MPI :evil: will share the name with "our" MPI, but that's about it, IMO. It's like the new Hawaii Five-0, I do like the series but "it ain't" the same.
Don't you ever knock?

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MaximRecoil »

Ugly as homemade shoes. The 308 was one of the best looking cars ever made, but this thing looks nothing like it. And why are there similar, but different, ones in the slide show, like this one ...

https://ferrari-4me.weebo.it/static/_50 ... K5O3NB.png

... which is even uglier? And this one ...

https://ferrari-4me.weebo.it/static/_50 ... G3X7VB.png

... which is different than the other two, and still ugly? The same goes for this one:

https://ferrari-4me.weebo.it/static/_50 ... 57IBAT.png

Chrysler managed to make a pretty good looking modern version of the '70s Dodge Challenger, and Ford managed to make a pretty good looking modern version of the '60s Mustang (though the originals still look better in both cases), so why can't Ferrari do the same for the 308? None of those cars in the slideshow even remind me of a 308.

Kepania
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by Kepania »

MaximRecoil wrote:Ugly as homemade shoes. The 308 was one of the best looking cars ever made, but this thing looks nothing like it. And why are there similar, but different, ones in the slide show, like this one ...

https://ferrari-4me.weebo.it/static/_50 ... K5O3NB.png

... which is even uglier? And this one ...

https://ferrari-4me.weebo.it/static/_50 ... G3X7VB.png

... which is different than the other two, and still ugly? The same goes for this one:

https://ferrari-4me.weebo.it/static/_50 ... 57IBAT.png

Chrysler managed to make a pretty good looking modern version of the '70s Dodge Challenger, and Ford managed to make a pretty good looking modern version of the '60s Mustang (though the originals still look better in both cases), so why can't Ferrari do the same for the 308? None of those cars in the slideshow even remind me of a 308.
Hello MaximRecoil. Ferrari is making one example of each livery available (in our case The Magnum PI) on each of the five cars in the current mainstream Ferrari range. Therefore there will be 5 different cars "paying homage" to our beloved Magnum's Ferrari 308 GTS. I think this article in Car Magazine explains this better than the Ferrari website :) http://bit.do/TheMagnumPICarMagazine
Don't you ever knock?

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Magnum T. »

308 GTS/GTB is (and will always be) my second favourite sports car, the first one being the 288 GTO:

"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by 308GUY »

288 is an awesome ride.....like a 308 on steroids! :magnum:

There's a guy in Canada building a replica of one as we speak. It's nearing comletion and looks really good.

He plans to make molds and be able to reproduce and offer for sale kits that will fit onto a Fiero chassis, or a complete tube chassis.

Great pic MT.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Magnum T. »

308GUY wrote:288 is an awesome ride.....like a 308 on steroids! :magnum:
As a matter of fact it is, 288 was a (very) limited series of 308 modified for racing.
308GUY wrote:There's a guy in Canada building a replica of one as we speak. It's nearing comletion and looks really good.
He plans to make molds and be able to reproduce and offer for sale kits that will fit onto a Fiero chassis, or a complete tube chassis.
Interesting as a personal project but I wouldn't buy the kit. It's not the real thing.
308GUY wrote:Great pic MT.
Courtesy of Wikipedia :wink:

@MaximRecoli
I wouldn't call them "ugly" (especially the 2nd and 3rd).

If I could choose I'd take any of them (the new ones), sell it and go after a 288/308.
And I could easily settle for a 328 or a 208 too.
I'm not choosy :wink:
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

Magnum T. wrote: As a matter of fact it is, 288 was a (very) limited series of 308 modified for racing.
Was aware of that, even have one on my model shelf! :D
Magnum T. wrote:Interesting as a personal project but I wouldn't buy the kit. It's not the real thing.
Obviously, but if you like the "look" without the headache of Fcar maintenance, not a bad option.
The power train and suspension can be set up any way you want (and can afford), so that performance and handling could just about equal and if you wanted to get real "technical", surpass what Ferrari made available to the public during the Dino and 308/328 production years.

The original 308's were actually underpowered. And have you ever driven/sat in one? (308) Not very comfortable by my experience.

Still wouldn't turn one down if offered, but if I was paying the tab....I'd do the replica if I planned to drive it very much. Just an individual preference I guess.

If "money was no object", I might have one in the stable, but for reliability and cost effectivness, I'd rather have Italian styling and American engineering. (Chevy-Pontiac parts are much easier to come by, and a whole lot less expensive! No "Ferrari" tax! :lol: )

Magnum T. wrote:If I could choose I'd take any of them (the new ones), sell it and go after a 288/308.
And I could easily settle for a 328 or a 208 too.
I'm not choosy :wink:
That's a good plan! I'd probably do the same should it be made available as an option. :magnum:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#11 Post by Pahonu »

Magnum T. wrote:
As a matter of fact it is, 288 was a (very) limited series of 308 modified for racing.
Not to quibble, but... the 288 was a completely new chassis not a modified 308. The engine was based on the 308's but that engine was also used in the GT4 and Mondial, and later the 328. It was reduced in stroke, turbo charged and mounted longitudinally rather than transversely. The gearbox was also longitudinal rather than transverse. It had a longer wheelbase, wider track, and different tube frame and suspension. The latter were actually much closer to the F40. Also, the bodywork and frame were constructed of different materials. It was built from the ground up for a new category of rally car racing called Group B, but it sadly, never competed. It WAS however, styled to look like a 308 on steroids... and it certainly did!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by 308GUY »

Where's that "Thumbsup" smiley.......? :lol:

I wouldn't lock either car out of my garage for leaving crumbs! (or oil drops.... :( )

I've got a couple books on/about Fcars, and they confirm what Pahonu states here.

The 288GT is basically a racing version of the 308, but not a "modified" 308 per se.

As far as being the real thing or not....nope...ANY "replica" is NOT "the real thing", but if it has the "look" and the seat of the pants meter registers the same or better reading....so what...who cares :lol: For me, having the original is pretty much a status thing, which I've never really been a fan of, but I've never had "money" either....so I guess status is something I know nothing about.

Kind of like a fake Rolex....but if it keeps good time.....it's also a good watch.

I'm somehow reminded of the story of the princess and the pea...... :wink:

The 308 will always be the way a sports car should look for me, and the 288 just takes that look to the next level. Much more so than the next factory iteration, the 328 did.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Magnum T. »

Pahonu wrote:
Magnum T. wrote:
Not to quibble, but... the 288 was a completely new chassis not a modified 308.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, with "modified" I was referring mainly to the "look".
Let me rephrase: 288 was a (very) limited series of racing cars "derived" from 308.

@308GUY
Let's put it this way: if I know it's not the real thing it's not the same to me, there is an iconic/cultural value attached to some "things" that goes beyond the thing itself.
If I could have a "perfect" made-in-China replica of the Rolex GMT (perfect meaning same look and also same quality) I wouldn't wear it anyway because I know it's a fake, no matter how close to the real thing it is. That Rolex logo on the dial would annoy me.
This doesn't mean I would trash it, of course :wink:
Back to cars, I think I'd prefer to have "real things" like this or this rather than a replica of a Ferrari.

(BTW, I live in Italy so Ferrari parts should be much easier to get for me :lol: )
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by 308GUY »

Magnum T. wrote:
@308GUY
Let's put it this way: if I know it's not the real thing it's not the same to me, there is an iconic/cultural value attached to some "things" that goes beyond the thing itself.
If I could have a "perfect" made-in-China replica of the Rolex GMT (perfect meaning same look and also same quality) I wouldn't wear it anyway because I know it's a fake, no matter how close to the real thing it is. That Rolex logo on the dial would annoy me.
This doesn't mean I would trash it, of course :wink:
Back to cars, I think I'd prefer to have "real things" like this or this rather than a replica of a Ferrari.

(BTW, I live in Italy so Ferrari parts should be much easier to get for me :lol: )

I understand and agree completely.

To me, part of being "happy" is accepting one's "station" in life, whatever it happens to be.

Some are born into the high life, some attain it and some only lust after it. Still others have no desire for it, but are attracted to some of the trappings of it, but are unwilling to do what's required to have them. But there are "things" that substitute and maybe help achieve some of the same satisfaction, false or not. I think it's an individual thing, but we live in a fairly judgmental world, so there are always going to be those who will judge, and compare. I say do what makes you happy, as long as it doesn't interfere with somebody else's ability to be happy. :)

Maybe this would be a "compromise"

The Pontiac Mera....Somebody at GM thought it was a great design too! No, it wasn't made by GM, but they sanctioned it and it was only available through Pontiac dealers as a new car during production years, which were short lived. Ferrari shut them down and made them stop production and destroy the molds. An outfit called Custom Concepts did the actual conversions on new off the assembly line Fiero's. There weren't that many made to begin with, and they are certainly rare today. BUT....they are the "real" thing,LOL..but are they a "real" Pontiac, or a fake Ferrari? I think they're both at the same time. But if you like the body and are hooked on having the "real" deal, one of these might fit the bill. They are certainly more within reach as far as cost goes. At least in the USA. Now...in Italy....not sure....might be a toss up! You could maybe get a used 308 easier and cheaper than a Mera! :lol:

Another design that would be a close second for me is one of these:

GT40...... they whipped Ferrari more than a couple times, and that body.....well...it just kind of speaks for itself! Gorgeous! :magnum:

Then there's one of these:

which IS a modified 308. Great lines!

Anyway....obviously, if I could afford an actual 308...I'd already be driving it. With my situation, don't really see it ever happening, so a replica with the same body style and "cheap" drivetrain and suspension, would make me smile on a fairly regular basis.

So I guess we can agree to disagree on this point.

I learned something new too....Robin's Nest is actually in Italy! (That's a joke MT.....is that your "real" name?) :lol: :magnum:

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Magnum T. »

308GUY wrote:I say do what makes you happy, as long as it doesn't interfere with somebody else's ability to be happy. :)
That's the golden rule!
308GUY wrote:I think it's an individual thing
Exactly. I will say more, it works on different levels and degrees depending on what the "thing" is.
In my case I think it depends mainly on two factors: a) if the thing exists in the real world b) how much I am "emotionally involved".
308GUY wrote:Image

It looks pretty cool.
You know what? I'd like to have it (red, naturally) but with the Pontiac logo (or whatever) instead of the Ferrari logo.
In the first case I see it as an "homage", in the latter it becomes a fake (imho).
308GUY wrote:Another design that would be a close second for me is one of these:

The two that I posted before (the Mustang and the SLR) are not my second choice after the 288/308, just the first two I like a lot that came to my mind.
Anyway the Ford GT is, as you said, gorgeous!
308GUY wrote:Image
Uhm... If I get it right it's a 308 modified by Koenig. To be honest I don't like it very much, it's kind of... too much. I prefer the classic, plain 308, much more slinky!
308GUY wrote:I learned something new too....Robin's Nest is actually in Italy!
One of Robin's Nests is in Italy, didn't you know that? :lol:
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"