BREAKING - Magnum returning as a TV series, but . . .

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Re: BREAKING - Magnum returning as a TV series, but . . .

#41 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Looks like she wanted to give MPI the Hawaii Five-O reboot treatment. Explosions, shiny cars, carbines and "so cool" dialogue. No thanks...
Faith and Begorrah!

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by erock308 »

A lot of non fans and occasional watches would no doubt miss the underlining message of the series. I have tried to explain to people that the show has a lot more depth to it than the obvious flashy car, beach babes and gun fights.
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

BWheelz54
Admiral

#43 Post by BWheelz54 »

Yeah, Longoria shows she doesn't appreciate the old show with that "badass" comment. Seems to me that so many of the leaders in the entertainment industries just see everything as a variable, that they're always looking for the simple equation that will guarantee them success and wealth. I must sound like such a broken record; I've made that comment so many times. Problem is, these people are always missing great shows and great movies, because I don't think good art ever falls into neat boxes.

I could live with a reboot, and I could look forward to one if it honored the previous characters and cast. To me, a new Magnum could do this by focussing not on the "sparkle" of the old show, but instead on the depth. Magnum PI remains so relevant to me because I keep seeing the show filled with medicine and healing for a country that often feels so divided. There was such a powerful strand through the show about how we treat our soldiers when they return after so bravely serving our country, and I know that's something we need to remember these days as well. I'm amazed by how Magnum PI works to pull people together instead of apart.

So that's why I would love to see Magnum return, if only for a kinda reunion movie. I would hope Magnum might remind us again that we're all in it together. And that's why I'm happy to see that Longoria's idea is off. Anything that just tries cashing in on the nostalgia just isn't going to do Magnum justice.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by erock308 »

"One for all, all for one"
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#45 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Really glad this didn't happen. An action show with "bad ass" characters is not what this show was ever about. It seems to have been just an opportunity to ride on the Magnum P.I. brand to pull in some eyeballs.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Milton Collins »

I love the idea, just the fact that we are bringing back a show in the Magnum universe is thrilling! I'm sure the old cast will be making guest appearances and what not whoo hooo I love it!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by KingKC »

I am so glad this reboot idea is not happening. I want to remember MPI as it was in the eighties. I pretty much feel the same way about MacGyver and Hawaii 5-0. I avoid those reboots.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#48 Post by Danny Lin »

KingKC wrote:I am so glad this reboot idea is not happening. I want to remember MPI as it was in the eighties. I pretty much feel the same way about MacGyver and Hawaii 5-0. I avoid those reboots.
Exactly.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#49 Post by MHTR »

I agree with Mrs. Higgins' post here 100%.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

ConchRepublican wrote:According to Eva Longoria this is now off . . .

However, the 41-year-old actress and director still believes there is a bias towards men in the industry, using the example of how she couldn't get a female remake of the hit TV series 'Magnum P.I.' made.

Speaking at the MAKERS Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, she added: "At the end of Magnum P.I. back then, he had a daughter. So, we were making the sequel where she's a badass. She's everything Magnum was, except a woman. And it didn't get made. I really feel that was that unconscious bias of that study if people go 'well, we just don't see her doing everything he did.' And I go, why not? Why can't you see it that way?"

http://journalstar.com/people/eva-longo ... d2055.html
I hate women like this! They give the rest of us a bad rep. Gee Eva, maybe if you came up with an ORIGINAL concept you might stand a chance. People don't like their childhood memories screwed around with.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I think the real reason it didn't happen is that network execs are starting to realize we are at peak saturation for re-boots, re-makes, and sequels. There have just been too many recently: The X-Files, 24, Gilmore Girls, MacGyver, Hawaii Five-0, Will & Grace, etc.. And those are just ones I can think of without doing any research!

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I think the real reason it didn't happen is that network execs are starting to realize we are at peak saturation for re-boots, re-makes, and sequels. There have just been too many recently: The X-Files, 24, Gilmore Girls, MacGyver, Hawaii Five-0, Will & Grace, etc.. And those are just ones I can think of without doing any research!
Good point.

I think The Odd Couple has been redone at least 3 times, not including a cartoon version!
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I think the real reason it didn't happen is that network execs are starting to realize we are at peak saturation for re-boots, re-makes, and sequels. There have just been too many recently: The X-Files, 24, Gilmore Girls, MacGyver, Hawaii Five-0, Will & Grace, etc.. And those are just ones I can think of without doing any research!
Good point.
I think The Odd Couple has been redone at least 3 times, not including a cartoon version!
Hi Guys,
I would cite the original Maverick from the 1950's to early 60's. Then came the tv movie The New Maverick on ABC in 1978. CBS's Young Maverick series(Garner had a one off cameo) starring the seriously miscast Charles Frank(1979-1980). James Garner in the 1981 Bret Maverick tv series on NBC. The Mel Gibson movie version of Maverick (1994) with Garner.
Plus Jack Kelly as Bart Maverick in the 1992 tv-movie The Gambler Part 4:Luck of the Draw.
Besides James Arness as Matt Dillion, James Garner and Jack Kelly are the only actors to appear as the same character over the course of 5 decades.
Garner also appeared as the same character on 3 major networks, I don't know of anyone else who did that.
Perhaps Bob Denver, I seem to recall he made cameos as Gilligan on NBC's Alf and maybe ABC's Roseanne, in addition to his run on the original CBS series Gilligan's Island. And wasn't there a cartoon Gilligan?

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Mrs. Higgins wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: And wasn't there a cartoon Gilligan?
LOL...yes. Gilligan's Planet.

I think the only actor who portrayed a character longer than Arness & Garner was Leonard Nimoy who played Spock from 1966 (Star Trek original series) to 2013 (Star Trek: Into Darkness).
I'm a Boxley Girl....

waverly2211
Captain

#55 Post by waverly2211 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Mrs. Higgins wrote:
Good point.
Hi Guys,
I would cite the original Maverick from the 1950's to early 60's. Then came the tv movie The New Maverick on ABC in 1978. CBS's Young Maverick series(Garner had a one off cameo) starring the seriously miscast Charles Frank(1979-1980). James Garner in the 1981 Bret Maverick tv series on NBC. The Mel Gibson movie version of Maverick (1994) with Garner.
Plus Jack Kelly as Bart Maverick in the 1992 tv-movie The Gambler Part 4:Luck of the Draw.
Besides James Arness as Matt Dillion, James Garner and Jack Kelly are the only actors to appear as the same character over the course of 5 decades.
Garner also appeared as the same character on 3 major networks, I don't know of anyone else who did that.
Perhaps Bob Denver, I seem to recall he made cameos as Gilligan on NBC's Alf and maybe ABC's Roseanne, in addition to his run on the original CBS series Gilligan's Island. And wasn't there a cartoon Gilligan?
Peter Falk played Columbo from 1968, his first time playing Columbo was in a TV movie called Prescription Murder then he moved onto the TV series Columbo 71-2003.

5 decades as well, 1960s' to the 2000's