BREAKING - Magnum returning as a TV series, but . . .

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

BREAKING - Magnum returning as a TV series, but . . .

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

OK, I need some time to wrap my head around this because . . . this could be great or it could be terrible.

Thing is, it's almost what we were asking for . . .

http://www.darkhorizons.com/a-magnum-p- ... the-works/
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

Re: BREAKING - Magnum returning as a TV series, but . . .

#2 Post by Kate Sullivan »

I hate reboots and re-imaginings, but at least they aren't taking about rebooting Magnum with the same characters, updated to 2016, with different actors etc - I would absolutely hate that. So, if they insist on doing it and we can't have a show about what Thomas, Rick, TC and Higgins are up to these days, then a show about Lily is the next acceptable thing to me. As you say Conch, it could be great or it could be terrible.

ConchRepublican

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

CoziTV Superfan spot

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

I actually think this could be great. You still have all of the main cast alive and active, save for John Hillerman.

I had an idea about this to conclude the Kenji Files. The pilot could work as a reunion show/movie and introduce the new characters. Lily, Bryant (or Melody) as new TC. Rick and Cleo probably have a kid who could be the new "rick". Higgins could have a bunch of different (unknown) kids where you could re-invent the numerous siblings angle.

It's truly the closest we're going to get.... So I think we should support it.

I'm going to draft some notes/emails.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I've wanted somebody to do a sequel with Lily for years, but this sounds a little weird. Eva Longoria???? Not a fan of her at all. And why would they call Lily "Tommy"??

JungleBird
Commander

#6 Post by JungleBird »

Wow..! Well, firstly I'm happy that there actually will be a remake (or sequel) at all.
Of course it would be hard (especially for 'fanatic' fans like us :wink: ) to accept the new show with all its changes.
But please, let us be clear about some things here: The themesong has to stay! There has to be a helicopter! There should be a decent estate involved!
Oh yeah, and the new Ferrari gtb 488 spider (in red!) definitly needs to play a role, too! I mean, its design finally reminds me of the Magnum Ferrari again - perfect!

And, in my opinion, Selleck has to appear at least sometimes as the father which would only make sense!

If they want to continue the story, we have to see some connections to the time before - and to convince fans like us, the more the better. But please: I don't mean silly cameo appearances! It's easy to include original filming locations and characters to support the story in a realistic way and to satisfy fans of the original.
This way, they also have the greatest chances of getting both new viewers and old fans to watch and like it.

I also hope they will manage to recreate the very unique mix of humor/ characters and fun we all love so much about the original show, in some way... What I definitly don't want to see is (another) "too serious" and dark show (if you know what I mean); imho we have way too many shows today which don't convey any 'lightness' at all.. I want a mix similar to the one in the original series: sometimes darker and serious, but with a basis of some kind of light spirit- just as it has to be in Hawaii!

Well, time will tell. But I certainly hope they don't screw it up and make just another too-serious boring crime show. :higgins:
There has to be this special 'Magnum-spirit' about it, in the characters, the story etc. Well, I'd say a fan of the original series knows what I mean by that. I hope the producers/ writers know that too - because that was the reason for the show's success... :magnum:

...first "Magnum on bluray", now this: that's nearly too much for my heart the last days.. and I'm only 19 :lol:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by 308GUY »

Just ran across this:

http://screenrant.com/magnum-pi-sequel-tv-show-abc/

Premise is there, but allot will hinge on who writes it and particularly, HOW it's written, IMHO.

Eva Longoria????............not sure about that choice. I can see it going either way.

She's done more in the line of comedy than drama as I recall, not sure she'll be taken seriously unless an entire "new" approach is used.

Still just "rumor" at this stage, but it does look as though some "higher-ups" in positions of power are considering it.

If they do do it....I sure hope they don't screw it up! If TS has anything to do with it, pretty sure he would make them "tow the line" so it didn't come off too bad.

Kind of in the same bag as Pahonu....whatever happens....it's gonna be interesting to watch it unfold! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Magnum's moustache
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by Magnum's moustache »

Not sure what to think at this point, I have mixed feelings. The producers certainly know they have A LOT of pressure not to screw this up.
Higgins: Magnum, you are clad only in your undershorts.
Magnum: Of course I am.
Higgins: Even for you I find that just a trifle casual.

{Unless you treat failure as part of the journey, you're never going to get anywhere.} ~ Tom Selleck

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by steveadl »

I think it could actually work if done well, though that's a big IF. I'm glad they're not trying to redo the show with a new TM, no one will ever stand up to Tom Selleck. Creating a show based around Lilly with her own unique story lines and random semi regular tilts of the hat to the old series, or potentially even evolved story lines of unresolved issues they could create would conceivably work very well.

Ideally it would be fantastic if TS would have a semi-recurring roll in the show. I think either that or perhaps nothing - a one off cameo just wouldn't make sense or work in my opinion. Same would go with other characters.

It would be quite weird though if TS didn't want to do it - no one would like someone trying to stand in for a brilliant actor still active in showbiz and it just wouldn't sit well if they try to use a story line that he's passed away when in reality we all know TS is very much up for any role and is working 2 channels over.

Having said that, based on TS's past comments on wanting to do the show himself, hopefully he would be on board as they are not trying to replace him. Including him in the new series as a semi regular character would be a HUGE ratings booster as well in my opinion. The whole premise is to re-ignite an old show and they have the unique opportunity unlike in other instances where the lead actor is still very much adored, still working and looking great for his age.

Sooooooo much potential, let's hope it gets off the ground and if so is done in the right way!

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

OK, add me to the "This is gonna suck" column.

I can't think of a single remake/sequel that Hollywood HASN'T screwed up...with the exception of Star Trek:TNG. I've never seen the new Battestar Galactica, but I'll give you that one too because I've HEARD it was good from people who watched.

The New Love Boat, the multiple Odd Couple do-overs, The Bionic Woman, Ironside, Dallas...oh, and that gem, The New Adam 12...remember that? Yes, the creativity in Hollywood is virtually non-existent. I'll give MacGuyver one season at best.

Magnum PI had a winning formula, great cast, great chemistry and NEVER "jumped the shark". It can't be duplicated, spun-off, or revisited. Yes, I understand its a "sequel" that brings us up to date with the life of Lily, but I'm saddened and disgusted at the thought of this concept coming to fruition. First of all, Disney-owned ABC are constant purveyors of political correctness. Also cast serious doubts that Tom Selleck, a commodity over at CBS, will be involved...even in a cameo.

Eva Longoria? Sorry, but NO. Knowing her political beliefs, I'm 100% sure some the scripts will be chock full of anti-second amendment B.S. ala the new "Danno" in the new "Hawaii Five-0" (which is a farce as well). Its 2016, they'll probably bend over backwards making the men in the series beta-males or misogynists.

I'll watch out of curiosity, but I'll miss Thomas, Higgins, Rick, T.C., The Lads, and Robin's Nest. Not to mention a good script where the mystery isn't solved by a smartphone and security cameras.

off my soap box now...
I'm a Boxley Girl....

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by KingKC »

I am definitely not in favor of this one. It doesn't sound like MPI at all with the theme being described as international crime and modern espionage. MPI was a private investigative show and most of the episodes were local in nature. Even the lighthearted episode were kind of fun. This one sounds like it might be missing the fun parts and be a lot more mindless action. I guess I will have to wait and see.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#12 Post by BWheelz54 »

I will probably try to post a little more when I have a bit more time than I do this morning, but after reading the link, I'm curious as to who will play Lily. Eva Longoria is mentioned as the producer, not as the actress filling Lily's part. I'm kinda glad to see that, because I don't know if Eva's a great choice for Lily. I would be excited to see an attempt - honestly, I feel that whatever they do is not going to diminish the original in any way, and you'll never get anything if you don't try. BUT there's been all kinds of talk about various Magnum projects, and nothing ever gets off the ground - probably for the best. So, we'll see.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by 308GUY »

As I said earlier, if nothing else...it WILL be "interesting". :lol:

The link in the article I posted lists Longoria as playing Lily, but we all know how rumors and reporters are.

Not sure if anything "official" has been announced or not....how would we know?

"I saw it on the internet...it HAS to be true." LOL :lol: Used to be "It was in the paper..it HAS to be true." Not nearly as many readers saw the "retractions"!

I'm wondering many things about how it will be done, IF it is done, but one of the first things that comes to mind is, what will they use for the estate?

Or did Nesbitt KNOW this was going to happen and has plans to lease it to the production crew?

I know it will be a new show, with new people so a new location would just make sense, or at least acceptable, given the circumstances. But for me, the estate is as much a part of Magnum PI as Tom Selleck is...I repeat....for ME. :P I'd love to see a scene where Lily arrives at the estate, eventually makes her way to the garage, and uncovers the 308 and decides that it would be what she'll use for transportation while on the island....but........ :magnum:

This endeavor could be compared to walking a tight-rope....IF everything is set up right...and IF the performer is skilled enough...and IF the wind doesn't kick up at the wrong time...and IF etc., etc., etc.. you get the idea. Allot of variables involved. Let's hope TS DOES get some say in it, cause we all know, HE would make sure it was done as right as possible. He just seems to have developed a "sense" about these type things. Nik Wallenda did the Grand Canyon....so Hollywood should be able to pull off MPI.

I know, convoluted logic, but as long as it's been since the last episode, and as much as myself, and I'm sure a few others here would love to see it return, I think we have to stay positive and have faith that it will be done to produce the results we'd all hope for.

Time'll tell.....it always does!

Still just a "rumor" at this stage, so it may be "Much ado about nothing" till we see/hear some kind of "official" announcement from ABC, or whoever.

When TS has a press release outlining the project and HIS involvement, it'll be "official" for me! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

At this point, I'm feeling like it would be fun to see the show return in this way, but I doubt I'll actually like it. It would just be nice to see it get a modern day spin. The male camaraderie was one of the most important elements of the show, so a female central character would just be a very different show. But good writers can make all the difference, so it really depends on who's involved.

All that depends entirely on whether it actually gets made... Most of us have been around long enough to have read several stories on unscrupulous websites purporting a possible reboot or that the rights have been bought and a movie is on the way...Matthew McConaughey anybody?? But Hollywood Reporter is the real deal when it comes to industry gossip, so this is clearly more than a website looking for pageviews from suckers like us!

For the record, Eva Longoria is hot and seeing her run around in a bikini week to week would be lovely. But I don't think it would have much to do with the Magnum we know and love. But as it was pointed out, there's no mention of her playing the title role.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican

#15 Post by ConchRepublican »

I agree, Eva's not the best fit as Lily Catherine, thankfully they have her noted as the producer so far, but I do believe an actress with an Hispanic background would be best to represent the French and Vietnamese lineage of Michelle and the presumed Irish (plus) background of Thomas.

I favor Jessica Alba on a looks comparison alone, and while starring in an action show like Dark Angel helps, I'm just not sure she has the chops (no offense intended) to pull off the complexities of being a "Magnum". Even I for the longest time did not give Selleck the credit he deserved for playing the role the way he did. But that balance between drama and comedy, and making both work and seem natural is a talent and very difficult to pull off. That's what created the "feel" of the show IMHO and what makes Thomas, for all his faults, such a likeable character.

The actress portraying Lily will of course have it easier than anyone trying to be recast as Thomas, as she has leeway in creating a new character, but in the end it's going to be those qualities we most associate with Thomas we will judge her portrayal of his daughter against.

This has a chance to be very interesting and the legacy we all would like to see for an all-time great series and set of characters.

It could also degrade into the new Hawaii 5-0 and dash our hopes on the rocks of ratings demos.
CoziTV Superfan spot