Magnum on Blu Ray!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

JungleBird
Commander

Re: Magnum on Blu Ray!

#91 Post by JungleBird »

I'd be happy to answer these questions for you marlboro, but I'm not sure whether I fully understand what you mean;

What exactly was the problem with the colors on the DVDs in that episode? Or how should it be, in your opinion?
For "Ki' I's Don't Lie": How can I tell whether it's the "syndicated" or "non-syndicated" version?

Just tell me what I have to look for and I'd be glad to check. :)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#92 Post by marlboro »

Great! I've never actually seen these. I'm just going by the info provided by the Magnum experts here at Magnum Mania.

Murder by Night

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season ... Night.html

The original broadcast version of this episode was mostly in black-and-white, except for the very beginning and end. The syndicated and DVD version is mostly in color, with only opening and closing credits (and part of the denouement) in black-and-white.

Ki' I's Don't Lie

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season ... t_Lie.html

There are actually two different versions of this episode - the original broadcast version and the syndication version. The syndicated version is a stand-alone episode with a different ending (Catherine Hailey is caught at the airport before she flees to South America). The syndicated version allows this episode to be shown in syndication without having to view the Simon & Simon episode.

While I'm asking, I might as well mention these, too:

L.A.

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season7/LA_1.html

L.A." originally aired as a two-hour movie, but it is broken up into two parts for syndication airings. The Region 1 DVD version of this episode inexplicably omits a one-minute foot chase scene. The scene occurs just after Magnum is shot at by two uzi-toting henchmen. After his rental car is blown up, Magnum runs through several backyards to escape. In one of the backyards, Magnum encounters Playboy "Playmate of the Month" Kimberly McArthur (January 1982) in a hot tub and briefly talks to her! A few moments later there is also a brief scene with her being interviewed on the news, in which she states that a man nearly attacked her in her backyard (in fact, Magnum just stood there and told her that he's "not the sushi man"). This entire scene is missing on the Region 1 DVD (at the 32:52 mark, you can hear the musical score end abruptly). Oddly, this scene IS included in the standard syndication airings on television (and is included in the German DVD)!

Resolutions

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season ... ons_1.html

For unknown reasons, The Complete Eighth Season DVD uses the syndicated version, not the original broadcast version. The syndicated version breaks the episode into two parts and several scenes have been cut, including most of the Naval Academy reunion scene at the Naval Officer's Club, the entire scene with Magnum and Lt. Nolan Page at the estate tidal pool (~ three minutes of footage) and most of the end credits montage sequence (with highlight clips of scenes from previous episodes).

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

"Ki'i's", to my knowledge, is the standalone syndicated version like on the newer-issued DVDs. As far as I can tell, the Blu-rays in terms of cuts are pretty much the same as the UK DVDs, so "L.A." and "The Man from Marseilles" are uncut. :)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#94 Post by marlboro »

Damn. I didn't even know The Man from Marseilles was cut on my dvd. thanks for the info!

Edited to add: It may be stupid, but does anyone think it would be worthwhile to contact Universal or whomever might someday give Magnum a region 1 BR release and give them a list of things missing from the old dvd releases? One in a million shot that we could find someone who would listen who actually had the power to fix the issues, but you never know.

JungleBird
Commander

#95 Post by JungleBird »

I checked:
"Murder by night" is in color exept for the part in the end when Magnum wakes up, that's in black-and-white for about a minute or so.
So yeah, seems to be the syndicated version known from the DVDs.
"Ki'i's", as already mentioned, seems to be the standalone syndicated version.
"L.A." is 1:36:48 long and does contain the hot tub scene etc.
"Resolutions" is actually split in two parts, each one 45min. long and the end credits montage sequence does not contain the highlight clips of scenes from previous episodes.
I guess the other parts are also missing, so, unfortunately, that seems to be the 2-part syndicated version with cuts. Strange, I didn't expect that...

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask :)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#96 Post by marlboro »

Cool. Thanks JungleBird!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

The cut "Marseilles" scene is where Tanaka and Fornier speak in (unsubtitled) French. Was it cut from the Region 1 DVDs for that reason? Who knows? :roll: I think the writer's intention was for them to jibe at Magnum without him totally understanding (even though he was in 'Nam).

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#98 Post by marlboro »

It really aggravates me when studios can't be bothered to track down non syndicated cuts for their dvd releases. Or at least be up front about it and let the customer know first.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#99 Post by ConchRepublican »

Thank you Santa!

Region Free Blu-Ray player and the Magnum PI Complete Blu-Ray Collection!!

Watching J. Digger Doyle for the first time in over a year. The picture is bright, crisp and clear. Awesomeness!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#100 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote:Thank you Santa!

Watching J. Digger Doyle for the first time in over a year. The picture is bright, crisp and clear. Awesomeness!!
When's the party at Flamingo Key? You ARE going to debut both the player and the series there......right? :lol:

Mele Kalikimaka!

Kids and grandkids are due over anytime now. Hope everybody enjoys the day in the spirit it was originated. :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#101 Post by Styles Bitchley »

That’s one heluva present! There must have been some hinting around the house.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by Steve »

Wow.............Erin Gray as she should be seen, bright, crisp and clear...Good choice for debut episode....