Magnum on Blu Ray!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum on Blu Ray!

#51 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I'm glad that these two reviews give the video quality of the blu-rays high marks, but these two writers don't know squat about the show. "Robert Masters"? "Rooted in Murder She Wrote"? Jessica Fletcher didn't make her debut until 1984! :roll:

JungleBird
Commander

#52 Post by JungleBird »

Yeah, that's true.. that's why I put "professional"
in quotation marks... :roll:
But so far, the only ones I could find.
However, I think dvdcompare.net announced
a detailed review, I hope that one will be a bit more specific, also content-wise...

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Oh my goodness, the screenshots in the first link look fabulous! :D Crossing fingers for a North American release soon! :magnum:

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#54 Post by Cagliostro »

JungleBird wrote:That's what it's saying on the back of the box:

Aw man, I guess it doesn't have the Simon & Simon crossover episode. That's disappointing. I hope when we eventually get a US release of Magnum on blu-ray (knock-on-wood) it's included.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by eagle »

Cagliostro wrote:Aw man, I guess it doesn't have the Simon & Simon crossover episode. That's disappointing. I hope when we eventually get a US release of Magnum on blu-ray (knock-on-wood) it's included.
The current-run DVDs don't either; I had to buy an older copy of the season 1 DVD set to get that. This reminds me: I should list my newer season 1 DVD set on half.com.

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#56 Post by Cagliostro »

eagle wrote:
Cagliostro wrote:Aw man, I guess it doesn't have the Simon & Simon crossover episode. That's disappointing. I hope when we eventually get a US release of Magnum on blu-ray (knock-on-wood) it's included.
The current-run DVDs don't either; I had to buy an older copy of the season 1 DVD set to get that. This reminds me: I should list my newer season 1 DVD set on half.com.

Good to know, I guess I'm never getting rid of the terrible flipper disc Magnum season 1

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Cagliostro wrote:Good to know, I guess I'm never getting rid of the terrible flipper disc Magnum season 1
Ugh, those flipper discs! Having owned Murder She Wrote up to season seven, the flippers from seasons one (and probably two) were a literal pain, not helped by the tiny writing in the middle indicating which disc it was. Season 3 did ditch the flippers, and reissues of the earlier seasons changed to more slim cases as well, but the extras weren't affected, since seasons one and two had none, unlike with Magnum.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:
Cagliostro wrote:Good to know, I guess I'm never getting rid of the terrible flipper disc Magnum season 1
Ugh, those flipper discs! Having owned Murder She Wrote up to season seven, the flippers from seasons one (and probably two) were a literal pain, not helped by the tiny writing in the middle indicating which disc it was. Season 3 did ditch the flippers, and reissues of the earlier seasons changed to more slim cases as well, but the extras weren't affected, since seasons one and two had none, unlike with Magnum.
Thanks for the heads up on the missing episode! Nice to know i have it. :D

I also second that sentiment on the flipper discs. I'm always picking up DVDs at flea markets and yard sales. That's how I got my first couple of Magnum seasons...and coincidentally, seasons 2,3, & 4 of MSW.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

RocketMan
Ensign

#59 Post by RocketMan »

Any word yet on whether The Man from Marseilles, L.A. and Resolutions (which were cut on DVD) are intact on Blu-ray?

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

RocketMan wrote:Any word yet on whether The Man from Marseilles, L.A. and Resolutions (which were cut on DVD) are intact on Blu-ray?
I second that too. Apparently Region 2 DVDs had the "Marseilles" and "L.A." cuts intact, but "Resolutions" was still cut too. Since these Blu-rays seem to be sourced from the original masters rather than syndie prints, here's hoping they're intact! :magnum:

RocketMan
Ensign

#61 Post by RocketMan »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:I second that too. Apparently Region 2 DVDs had the "Marseilles" and "L.A." cuts intact, but "Resolutions" was still cut too. Since these Blu-rays seem to be sourced from the original masters rather than syndie prints, here's hoping they're intact! :magnum:
That's why I got seasons 5 and 7 from the UK. And season 8 from Germany - the only way to get Resolutions in all of its original, non-syndicated, two-hour, unsplit glory. I really hope the Blu-rays are good in that regard...

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

For those wondering, so far, according to Blu-ray.com's forum, the Blu-ray from FF does not include the original version of "Ki'is Don't Lie" or "Diamonds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend", possibly due to FF being a sublicensee, though it's possible for an upcoming US set to have the full crossovers.

P.S. The user unicron73 on this page has uploaded photos of the box set itself. :)

Also, that same page has comments on the use of DNR on certain episodes as well so those concerned should totally check it out. :higgins:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#63 Post by ConchRepublican »

For you UK residents, a chance to win the blu-rays . . .

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/comp ... n-blu-ray/
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

An update. This post has a whole batch of screenshots from a batch of eps, though the uploader said later there was a setting hiccup with the aspect ratio he used for screencapping in VLC Player (1920 x 1090 as opposed to the correct 1920 x 1080), so keep that in mind.

The gist from the posts is that some eps have DNR, some don't. Admittedly, it's a huge task to go through every episode, but this would help explain why some eps aren't consistent with others in terms of grain and image quality.

Edit: unicron73 says "Resolutions" is at least missing the end credits montage. :(

Good news though: "The Man from Marseilles" is at its full 48 minute runtime. :D :D :D

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#65 Post by Coligion »

308GTS wrote:Pretty sure it will get a Region A release as it's being released by The Shout Factory, and they are US based.
Curious, where have you actually read that Shout Factory will release Magnum domestically on BD? Any links?