Magnum on Blu Ray!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

RocketMan
Ensign

Re: Magnum on Blu Ray!

#61 Post by RocketMan »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:I second that too. Apparently Region 2 DVDs had the "Marseilles" and "L.A." cuts intact, but "Resolutions" was still cut too. Since these Blu-rays seem to be sourced from the original masters rather than syndie prints, here's hoping they're intact! :magnum:
That's why I got seasons 5 and 7 from the UK. And season 8 from Germany - the only way to get Resolutions in all of its original, non-syndicated, two-hour, unsplit glory. I really hope the Blu-rays are good in that regard...

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

For those wondering, so far, according to Blu-ray.com's forum, the Blu-ray from FF does not include the original version of "Ki'is Don't Lie" or "Diamonds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend", possibly due to FF being a sublicensee, though it's possible for an upcoming US set to have the full crossovers.

P.S. The user unicron73 on this page has uploaded photos of the box set itself. :)

Also, that same page has comments on the use of DNR on certain episodes as well so those concerned should totally check it out. :higgins:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#63 Post by ConchRepublican »

For you UK residents, a chance to win the blu-rays . . .

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/comp ... n-blu-ray/
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

An update. This post has a whole batch of screenshots from a batch of eps, though the uploader said later there was a setting hiccup with the aspect ratio he used for screencapping in VLC Player (1920 x 1090 as opposed to the correct 1920 x 1080), so keep that in mind.

The gist from the posts is that some eps have DNR, some don't. Admittedly, it's a huge task to go through every episode, but this would help explain why some eps aren't consistent with others in terms of grain and image quality.

Edit: unicron73 says "Resolutions" is at least missing the end credits montage. :(

Good news though: "The Man from Marseilles" is at its full 48 minute runtime. :D :D :D

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#65 Post by Coligion »

308GTS wrote:Pretty sure it will get a Region A release as it's being released by The Shout Factory, and they are US based.
Curious, where have you actually read that Shout Factory will release Magnum domestically on BD? Any links?

Rands
Rear Admiral

#66 Post by Rands »

Just purchased the entire series on Blu-Ray, from Amazon UK. The total cost including shipping was $ 188.22 or for our British Cousins 144.74 Quid. Estimated arrival on 22Feb2017. :D

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#67 Post by marlboro »

Maybe some of the kinks will get worked out before the US release if fans complain enough.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Just purchased the entire series on Blu-Ray, from Amazon UK. The total cost including shipping was $ 188.22 or for our British Cousins 144.74 Quid. Estimated arrival on 22Feb2017. :D
So do you know if they will play in a Region 1 blu-ray player?

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: So do you know if they will play in a Region 1 blu-ray player?
So far as I know, it's Region 2, so probably not unfortunately. :(

With the varying PQ, someone on Bluray.com's forum said the 1990 Universal Studios fire may have destroyed some of the original negatives, so that's worth keeping in mind if that is indeed the case.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

A lot of foreign BluRays are actually region free even if they are labeled with a region code. I just got one from Australia that plays fine in both of my North American players. Anyway, waiting to hear back from Rands if they'll play in a region 1 or A player before I order a set. Also hoping the price drops! I've had it in my Amazon.UK cart since the release date and the price has gone up a couple of times already. :shock:

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Also hoping the price drops! I've had it in my Amazon.UK cart since the release date and the price has gone up a couple of times already. :shock:
Eek. :shock: I can only imagine how a US set would fare in that aspect, especially new. Sometimes it can take years for a set to drop in price. :shock:

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#72 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Rands
Rear Admiral

#73 Post by Rands »

The complete series of Magnum on Blu-ray was delivered last week. It is a ZONE B Blu-ray. Having only ZONE A players, I made another purchase for a Sony Blu-ray player capable of all regions ( A, B, C ), an all DVD regions. Thank you Bombay Electronics.

Now to the quality of the Blu-ray images. The quality has been much discussed, being both "good" and "bad". Having been around long enough to see the original broadcasts of Magnum, (when not deployed, on field maneuvers, or TDY Temporary Duty), I'm really pleased. Yes, there is grain in the picture, but that's the way it was filmed. The video and audio quality is incredible, being far superior to the recent broadcasts on COZY.

The image is so clear, that I can see the face of Magnum's Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 divers watch, read the numbers and letters on the rotary dial telephones, etc. And, the Blu-rays aren't edited in length. It's a joy to see the entire episode. In my opinion, if you want a high quality copy of Magnum, make the purchase.

Of course, I'll have to make several other purchases of Fabulous Films products ( Nash Bridges, Miami Vice ), to justify the expense of my new player.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#74 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rands wrote:The complete series of Magnum on Blu-ray was delivered last week. It is a ZONE B Blu-ray. Having only ZONE A players, I made another purchase for a Sony Blu-ray player capable of all regions ( A, B, C ), an all DVD regions. Thank you Bombay Electronics.

Now to the quality of the Blu-ray images. The quality has been much discussed, being both "good" and "bad". Having been around long enough to see the original broadcasts of Magnum, (when not deployed, on field maneuvers, or TDY Temporary Duty), I'm really pleased. Yes, there is grain in the picture, but that's the way it was filmed. The video and audio quality is incredible, being far superior to the recent broadcasts on COZY.

The image is so clear, that I can see the face of Magnum's Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 divers watch, read the numbers and letters on the rotary dial telephones, etc. And, the Blu-rays aren't edited in length. It's a joy to see the entire episode. In my opinion, if you want a high quality copy of Magnum, make the purchase.

Of course, I'll have to make several other purchases of Fabulous Films products ( Nash Bridges, Miami Vice ), to justify the expense of my new player.
That is great news, thank you for the research investment . . . maybe you can claim it as such on your taxes. :-)

I use my PS3 as our DVD/Blu-ray player and app portal (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.), but am concerned about how long I can truly expect it to last. At least that's what I'm telling myself as I think about excuses for a region free Blu-ray player.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Rands wrote:The complete series of Magnum on Blu-ray was delivered last week. It is a ZONE B Blu-ray. Having only ZONE A players, I made another purchase for a Sony Blu-ray player capable of all regions ( A, B, C ), an all DVD regions. Thank you Bombay Electronics.

Did you give it a try on your zone A player?