Did Magnum have an alcohol problem?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Did Magnum have an alcohol problem?

#1 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This may be a sensitive topic, but I have often wondered about this. Throughout the series Magnum was often shown drinking or hungover. In "Mac's Back" he had kept himself in a drunken stupor for weeks on end. He was always raiding the wine cellar or putting drinks on Robin's tab at the club. When he got stood up he switched from beer to scotch. Were we to gather that Thomas Magnum had an alcohol problem or was he supposed to be a moderate drinker that would occasionally over imbibe?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Did Magnum have an alcohol problem?

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

Hmmm, I never saw anything to make me think TM had an alcohol problem. His consumption didn't seem to be crazy to me. In fact, by the standard of the classic movies of the 40s and 50s he may even be considered to be a teatotaller! :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KingKC »

He obviously drank more than any other character on the show and compared to TC he was definitely a drinker. Rick never drank that much and Higgins seemed to care only for sherry or brandy and rarely at that. TM was sort of a juvenile that had never really grown up (think frat rat in college) and drinking seemed to be one of the leftover vestiges of athletes, military men and "one of the guys", all of which TM was. It was just part of his character to me.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

Among many other recurring things on the show, I've always wanted to keep a tally of the number of times Thomas and Higgins share a drink. It seems to happen often, especially when Higgins drops by the guest house or when Magnum imposes himself in Higgins' study.

As for Thomas having an alcohol problem, I would say no. Sure, he drinks beer regularly, usually with the junk food he subsists on. He also has booze at his place but there is never any indication, implied or blatantly depicted, that he somehow needs it to function or is in the habit of having a drink at some point in the day.

I do believe that drinking and smoking is most often used as a prop when acting. However, in the case of MPI, the chaacters are actually bonding on the numerous occasions they share a tipple; it's a social thing as much as an inferrence that the characters are bonding--just my view on the subject.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:Among many other recurring things on the show, I've always wanted to keep a tally of the number of times Thomas and Higgins share a drink. It seems to happen often, especially when Higgins drops by the guest house or when Magnum imposes himself in Higgins' study.

As for Thomas having an alcohol problem, I would say no. Sure, he drinks beer regularly, usually with the junk food he subsists on. He also has booze at his place but there is never any indication, implied or blatantly depicted, that he somehow needs it to function or is in the habit of having a drink at some point in the day.

I do believe that drinking and smoking is most often used as a prop when acting. However, in the case of MPI, the chaacters are actually bonding on the numerous occasions they share a tipple; it's a social thing as much as an inferrence that the characters are bonding--just my view on the subject.
Well said.
CoziTV Superfan spot

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#6 Post by SignGuyHPW »

So, factoring out Mac's Back, the general feeling is he was a moderate drinker that would occassionaly over imbibe?

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MagnumILWU »

Only if he was broke! And couldn't pilfer a bottle of wine!
"pickled egg please"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

Little Garwood wrote:Among many other recurring things on the show, I've always wanted to keep a tally of the number of times Thomas and Higgins share a drink. It seems to happen often, especially when Higgins drops by the guest house or when Magnum imposes himself in Higgins' study.

I would tend to agree with that...............I'm also thinking the writers, producers and directors probably threw back a few as a part of their social construct and it seems normal to inject that into the scripts..........

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by 308GUY »

I think the only problem with alcohol that TM had, was getting caught by JQH pilfering the wine cellar, and the fact that the only place that carried "Old Dusseldorf in a longneck" was on the other side of the island! :magnum:

Now if you wanna go into the future and count Jesse Stone.......well....that's a different story! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Little Garwood »

Steve wrote: I would tend to agree with that...............I'm also thinking the writers, producers and directors probably threw back a few as a part of their social construct and it seems normal to inject that into the scripts..........
You're probably right. In fact, I'm sure that the relationship between writers and strong drink goes back at least as far as the relationship between quill and ink. :wink:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

BWheelz54
Admiral

#11 Post by BWheelz54 »

I never felt like Magnum had a drinking problem while I was watching any of these episodes. However, this thread has gotten me to think a little bit about the Magnum we never really got to know very well through the show. I'm thinking of the Magnum that returns immediately after the war, and I wonder what kind of state he might've been in then, and how those years might impact a question like this. I want to remember some clue - maybe something TC says about Magnum and drinking in that scene in season 5's "Mac's Back," where Magnum is drowning his sorrows on the beach with that bottle of booze - that implies Magnum may have had a drinking problem before the series starts. I've always thought that scene was totally out of character for Magnum, but maybe that drinking binge wasn't so totally out of character if the clues given in the series paint the Magnum immediately back from the war as a very troubled individual. There were also several references throughout the show that Magnum did indeed to through some hard times coming home. And we do know that TC had a drinking problem when he first returned home from the war.

I do wonder a little of we are encouraged to see Magnum as a character on the brink of slipping back into some of those problems he brought back home. Could a drinking problem be included with this? And if so, does that add a whole new layer of risk whenever Magnum takes a playful pull from Higgins' brandy, or goes through a six pack or two watching the Army/Navy game? I wonder if that would go with that theme of healing that I've always thought at the heart of all the episodes.

So, I have to admit that I kinda rolled my eyes a bit when I saw this thread first posted. But know what? It's a good thread, because I think there might be something there if you dig a bit. I'm not sure, but the thread has got me thinking.

Rands
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by Rands »

Speaking in the first person, I can tell you, I often had a few drinks in the Officer's Club, after a difficult deployment, training maneuvers, etc. In many of the units in which I served, it was both a form of stress relief, bonding, and a forum for junior officers to to work a few things out.

In the form of stress relief, I could laugh at dangerous experiences, which were often no laughing matter. I can't tell you how many times after the "lubrication" of several adult beverages, that my compatriots and I could laugh at my vehicle being engaged in another fratricide incident, me nearly being vaporized with a demolition accident, or laugh how fast I could run when being shot at. My thoughts from those times are that I could have given Usain Bolt a run for his money, even with a basic combat load!

During that assignment, I had a friend come to my aid, after the engine in my armored reconnaissance vehicle blew up. I, and everyone there, thought we had taken a hit from an artillery or mortar round, and between the flames, smoke, and me dragging my driver along with me, thought I had indeed set a new world sprint record for the nearest bit of cover. He remarked that maybe we needed a little live fire for our APFT Army Physical Fitness Test, to ensure passing scores for all. A few weeks afterwards, we all laughed about it at the Club.

For bonding, each and every unit has what were known as "Hails and Farewells", where incoming and outgoing personnel, would have the chance to give their hellos or goodbyes. Again, the lubrication of a few adult beverages, made the event a little easier. If you were in the military long enough, coming into a unit you would know several people, and a few drinks to renew a friendship, was good for everyone there. For Farewells, it was a time to say goodbye to those leaving, and to the spouses as well. For those soldiers who had given their all, it was a time for remembrance.

And, it was an opportunity to work a few things out, rather than stepping out behind the Battalion Headquarters. I had been known to do the latter, as well as the former. Often, it was a misunderstanding, or something that had been blown out of proportion, that in a different setting could be seen, as not the problem everyone thought it was.

It was indeed part of the culture of a very stressful occupation, that holds true with both law enforcement and firefighters. It was often a very necessary part of being able to deal with your Command, soldiers, missions, etc. So, in a long winded, first person account, I certainly don't think that Magnum had a problem.

ConchRepublican

#13 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rands wrote:Speaking in the first person, I can tell you, I often had a few drinks in the Officer's Club, after a difficult deployment, training maneuvers, etc. In many of the units in which I served, it was both a form of stress relief, bonding, and a forum for junior officers to to work a few things out.

In the form of stress relief, I could laugh at dangerous experiences, which were often no laughing matter. I can't tell you how many times after the "lubrication" of several adult beverages, that my compatriots and I could laugh at my vehicle being engaged in another fratricide incident, me nearly being vaporized with a demolition accident, or laugh how fast I could run when being shot at. My thoughts from those times are that I could have given Usain Bolt a run for his money, even with a basic combat load!

During that assignment, I had a friend come to my aid, after the engine in my armored reconnaissance vehicle blew up. I, and everyone there, thought we had taken a hit from an artillery or mortar round, and between the flames, smoke, and me dragging my driver along with me, thought I had indeed set a new world sprint record for the nearest bit of cover. He remarked that maybe we needed a little live fire for our APFT Army Physical Fitness Test, to ensure passing scores for all. A few weeks afterwards, we all laughed about it at the Club.

For bonding, each and every unit has what were known as "Hails and Farewells", where incoming and outgoing personnel, would have the chance to give their hellos or goodbyes. Again, the lubrication of a few adult beverages, made the event a little easier. If you were in the military long enough, coming into a unit you would know several people, and a few drinks to renew a friendship, was good for everyone there. For Farewells, it was a time to say goodbye to those leaving, and to the spouses as well. For those soldiers who had given their all, it was a time for remembrance.

And, it was an opportunity to work a few things out, rather than stepping out behind the Battalion Headquarters. I had been known to do the latter, as well as the former. Often, it was a misunderstanding, or something that had been blown out of proportion, that in a different setting could be seen, as not the problem everyone thought it was.

It was indeed part of the culture of a very stressful occupation, that holds true with both law enforcement and firefighters. It was often a very necessary part of being able to deal with your Command, soldiers, missions, etc. So, in a long winded, first person account, I certainly don't think that Magnum had a problem.

Rands, first and foremost, thank you for your service. I and my family appreciate you and your family's sacrifices. It sounds like you did more than late night watch at Great Lakes.

Thank you for your 1st hand account and experiences of the bonding in military life. Your explanation was how I took Magnum's drinking but couldn't find a way to articulate it, especially not being a member of the armed forces. I never saw it as a problem or concern and someone who has had the experiences and experienced the losses Thomas has I would think would be expected to have a few down days now and then. Now, were he found shooting smack in some alley on Hotel Street, that would be something different. :-)
CoziTV Superfan spot

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

SignGuyHPW wrote:This may be a sensitive topic, but I have often wondered about this. Throughout the series Magnum was often shown drinking or hungover. In "Mac's Back" he had kept himself in a drunken stupor for weeks on end. He was always raiding the wine cellar or putting drinks on Robin's tab at the club. When he got stood up he switched from beer to scotch. Were we to gather that Thomas Magnum had an alcohol problem or was he supposed to be a moderate drinker that would occasionally over imbibe?
SignGuy,
All things considered, I always thought Magnum's and his buddies' drinking wasn't realistically portrayed. They should have been drinking a whole lot more.
CBS historically being the "family" oriented network that also drew a large share of older and rural viewers likely factored in to the boys not being shown boozing the way single young men did in the 1980's.
The culture has changed a lot since then, men of the 20th century adhered to a different code of ethics and mores, rightly or wrongly.
Magnum and the boys would have been bar hopping most every weekend Mad Buck Gibson style, chasing not just the local women but also female tourists from around the world flocking to Hawaii.
Of course now a days young "men" spend their time chasing Pokemon monsters instead.

ConchRepublican

#15 Post by ConchRepublican »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
SignGuyHPW wrote:This may be a sensitive topic, but I have often wondered about this. Throughout the series Magnum was often shown drinking or hungover. In "Mac's Back" he had kept himself in a drunken stupor for weeks on end. He was always raiding the wine cellar or putting drinks on Robin's tab at the club. When he got stood up he switched from beer to scotch. Were we to gather that Thomas Magnum had an alcohol problem or was he supposed to be a moderate drinker that would occasionally over imbibe?
SignGuy,
All things considered, I always thought Magnum's and his buddies' drinking wasn't realistically portrayed. They should have been drinking a whole lot more.
CBS historically being the "family" oriented network that also drew a large share of older and rural viewers likely factored in to the boys not being shown boozing the way single young men did in the 1980's.
The culture has changed a lot since then, men of the 20th century adhered to a different code of ethics and mores, rightly or wrongly.
Magnum and the boys would have been bar hopping most every weekend Mad Buck Gibson style, chasing not just the local women but also female tourists from around the world flocking to Hawaii.
Of course now a days young "men" spend their time chasing Pokemon monsters instead.
Game, set and match folks. This one's over. :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot