Did Magnum have an alcohol problem?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did Magnum have an alcohol problem?

#21 Post by Steve »

KingKC wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
SignGuyHPW wrote:This may be a sensitive topic, but I have often wondered about this. Throughout the series Magnum was often shown drinking or hungover. In "Mac's Back" he had kept himself in a drunken stupor for weeks on end. He was always raiding the wine cellar or putting drinks on Robin's tab at the club. When he got stood up he switched from beer to scotch. Were we to gather that Thomas Magnum had an alcohol problem or was he supposed to be a moderate drinker that would occasionally over imbibe?
SignGuy,
All things considered, I always thought Magnum's and his buddies' drinking wasn't realistically portrayed. They should have been drinking a whole lot more.
CBS historically being the "family" oriented network that also drew a large share of older and rural viewers likely factored in to the boys not being shown boozing the way single young men did in the 1980's.
The culture has changed a lot since then, men of the 20th century adhered to a different code of ethics and mores, rightly or wrongly.
Magnum and the boys would have been bar hopping most every weekend Mad Buck Gibson style, chasing not just the local women but also female tourists from around the world flocking to Hawaii.
Of course now a days young "men" spend their time chasing Pokemon monsters instead.
Now that I think of it Sign Guy is correct. From the late Seventies to the mid Eighties discos and singles bars were the rage. I was single during that time and weekends were definitely made for barhopping and skirtchasing.
Yep, I started in College the early seventies when many States lowered the drinking age to 18 and I hit them all..........College bars, Strip Bars, Discos, Fern Bars, live music venues and even up to the, uuugh, ultra lounges when I finally settled down. If I remember correctly the legal limit for blood alcohol back in the seventies and eighties was .18...My gosh were were heathens back then...... 8)

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I'm sure people here have already seen Magnum P.I. - Pub Investigator (Drunk Opening) :D

youtu.be/OGDsgxKBgHE
Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Steve »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I'm sure people here have already seen Magnum P.I. - Pub Investigator (Drunk Opening) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGDsgxKBgHE
Now that's funny....Some of the comments are hilarious as well...............

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#24 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Steve wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I'm sure people here have already seen Magnum P.I. - Pub Investigator (Drunk Opening) :D

Now that's funny....Some of the comments are hilarious as well...............
Yep. That re-edit is truly funny.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Mad Kudu Buck,
Now THAT is the 1980's I remember. I salute you sir.
Dobie

"The past is a different country. They do things differently there".
L.P. Harley

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Mad Kudu Buck,
Now THAT is the 1980's I remember. I salute you sir.
I wish I could take credit, but it's not my video. I just posted the link.

Maybe I should start doing some Magnum cross edits. I've got plenty of ideas.

I don't know how other people get around YouTube's stupid "copyright infringement" rules. If I even post a little tiny clip of something (even without audio), they threaten to take it down and close my account - but there are thousands of videos with 100 X the amount of copyright material, in higher resolution and they never get taken down.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#27 Post by ☨magnum.t »

TM was an Iron Man you can not do an Iron Man and be an alcoholic its just not possible, he ran 8 miles every day and at a 7 minute 30 second per mile pace. What's funny though is that professional surf-skiers are known to be big drinkers.
That reminds me of the time....