Please help me plan my Hawaiian Holiday

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Please help me plan my Hawaiian Holiday

#11 Post by KENJI »

Hi TSMIV,

Many thanks for the kind comments and the book idea. Unfortunately I’m under an exclusive contract with Magnum Mania so FTA franchises and book deals won’t fly with M. M. management. They basically have me under lock and key as Magnum Mania’s Hawaiian Ambassador and friendly travel agent. :wink: As a MM member, you are actually entitled to Hawaiian travel planning/itineraries etc. FREE of charge!!!! We strive to make your Hawaiian experience one that you will never forget. Joking aside, if you have a few more memorable stories to tell when you get back home from your trip then we are even......just tell Doc and James that you were more than happy with the service as I’m hoping to win MM’s Employee of the Month and the highly coveted MM key fob that goes with it. :)

Thank-you so much for your excellent links. I will be digesting them some more tonight with the last bottle of Old Dusseldorf that you kindly sent my way!!!
The Great Escape clip is a classic and very much appreciated too. I’m sure you will enjoy the following links that will add some facts to the G.E. story without ruining it for you. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_hg0BoGqVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tef5iNeSViI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jJKy85Sqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDQp_iIwjbA

I really enjoyed your memory about dragging your dad up a Scotland mountain and loved your mum’s comment. Getting back to those suggested hikes.....as for an order....I would do Diamond Head first followed by Koko Head and Lanakai if you have the time. All of them can be conquered in less than an hour (assuming you are fit) , but give yourself some additional time to enjoy the views too. Let the ladies sleep in a few mornings so they have more energy for shopping while you tackle the first two which are close to where you will be staying. I would save the last one for a beach day with the family as it is a little further out.

All for now,

FTA

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by 308GUY »

KENJI.......I think TSMIV may be on to something.......and you can take the name of the operation straight from the show!

Now you just need to talk TS into being TM for the tours....oh, and get a chopper + Pilot......

Hey.....a guy can have "fantasies".....can't he? :lol:

"It could happen.... :magnum: "
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by KENJI »

308GUY wrote:KENJI.......I think TSMIV may be on to something.......and you can take the name of the operation straight from the show!

Now you just need to talk TS into being TM for the tours....oh, and get a chopper + Pilot......

Hey.....a guy can have "fantasies".....can't he? :lol:

"It could happen.... :magnum: "
Too funny 308GUY - well done!!! I'm warming up to the idea now.......I'll have a chat with MM management and see if we can work something out. :wink:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by 308GUY »

KENJI wrote:I'll have a chat with MM management and see if we can work something out. :wink:

OUTSTANDING! :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by TSMIV »

Outstanding work 308GUY! I can’t believe that you found this excellent piece of future marketing collateral for KENJI! Now we just have to work on navigating the legalities of his current contract with MM Management so that he can receive 100% of the royalties from his best-selling book….. :lol:

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#16 Post by TSMIV »

Greetings FTA,

Sincere apologies for the extreme tardiness of my reply. I have been busy briefing my high profile and high powered legal team regarding their upcoming efforts to free you from your current exclusive contract with MM Management. The lead attorney (who is a very impressive chap by the name of Jackie Chiles (think Seinfeld)) thinks that we have a strong case and he wants to get you on the stand as soon as possible.

Whilst on the theme of Seinfeld (I am a huge fan), you should be aware that we have a new term that is being used with increasing regularity in my household – ‘the KENJI Files’ (cast your mind back to the episode of Seinfeld where George was working diligently away on the Penski file). The ‘KENJI File’ refers to the compendium that I have used to store printouts of all the fantastic hints and tips that you have so generously provided to me. I am hoping that one of the Australian/Hawaiian airport customs staff that process my luggage don’t confiscate the KENJI files due to their being a huge Magnum PI fan.

I am also viewing my copy of the KENJI Files as a key element of my future retirement fund as it’s bound to be worth a fortune after your book goes to #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list (it’s akin to having an original copy of Keith Richards’ draft lyrics for a song that were written before the Rolling Stones became famous….).

I LOVE the links to the documentaries about ‘The Great Escape’ that you sent me – they are fantastic (and very interesting – who would have guessed that one of the original proposed filming locations was Palm Springs!). If you ever feel like reading a great book about the real ‘Big X’ who was the planning genius behind the escape, take a look at the link below – Roger Bushell was an absolutely amazing man.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Escaper-De ... 1444760661

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again – THANK YOU!!!!!!! The wonderful generosity of your time and effort in sending me all your thoughtfully crafted tips and suggestions will make a HUGE difference to my family’s holidays and we are all very grateful.

In 24 hours from now we’ll be on a plane to Hawaii and thus you won’t see any postings from me for around a week and one half after that. However, you can rest assured that I will be loading up lots of stories and photos upon my return.

Aloha from your # 1 FTA customer :magnum: :higgins:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by KENJI »

Aloha and mahalo TSMIV,

You don't mess around......Jackie Chiles - WOW!!!
Even with Jackie in our corner it will take years.....you know how the legal system works.
Glad to hear you went prepared with your K file (Kenji Files and The Files of Kenji.....are too similar...... Doc has the rights to that title......we don't want to have a legal battle on multiple fronts). :wink:

Joking aside, I'm glad a few of my suggestions will be of some use on your trip!
Looking forward to hearing and all about your adventures in paradise!!!

Thanks for the book link....I will definitely pick that one up!

Kind regards,

FTA

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by TSMIV »

Hello FTA,

Long time no speak! I hope that you are well. :D

Well my family and I are back from Hawaii and we had an absolutely wonderful time. Hawaii was all that I remembered and more after a 24 year absence – gorgeous weather, beautiful oceans, idyllic scenery and of course the centre of the MPI universe! It goes without saying that your tips were invaluable.

I’m planning on boring everyone with a couple of posts (!) but I’ll start with some highlights of our visit to Robin’s Nest first. Given that all the great tips that you gave me and all the other tips that I sourced from the Magnum Mania website, I thought I should reciprocate with some of my ‘learnings’ from our trip to Pahonu – i.e. this is for any other M-maniacs who will have the joy of visiting Robin’s Nest in the near future:

• Take the time to read through the advice and tips on this website – they’re fantastic. It’s well worth spending a couple of hours locating the gems of advice kindly offered up by M-maniacs who have made the pilgrimage.

• You will drive straight by the entrance to Pahonu if you aren’t scanning the preceding houses and their street numbers very carefully. If we had not been in possession of the address that was supplied by the M-mania website (i.e. southeast coast of Oahu at 41-505 Kalanianaole Highway) we would have driven straight by the estate!

• If you want to park directly outside the main entrance, be careful in both (i) finding a parking spot and (ii) reversing out of the parking spot – Kalanianaole Highway seemed like a busy road and our fellow motorists were travelling rather swiftly Plus, if you’re like me and not used to driving on the right side of the road (1), be careful when you are reversing out of your parking spot onto the highway.

• A post that was left my Magnum Mania member ‘Steve’ proved very useful to us and thus I shall quote it in verbatim – ‘308GUY is correct, check the tide charts before you go as the beach walk is under water at high tide. There is a small parking lot at Kaiona Beach Park just north from The Estate. If you go during the week you should have no problem finding a parking spot and walking south along the beach past a couple of houses, the Shriners Beach Club and wala the Tidal Pool and our mecca is upon you’. Kaiona Beach Park provided both a very handy parking spot as well as a nice place to collect our thoughts and relax after the excitement of the visit to the tidal pool. There’s a nice little grassed area beneath a tree at the front of the parking lot which we used as our little oasis
• Everyone on the M-mania website talks about the importance of being aware of the tide times when you visit the Pahonu tidal pool and they are 100% correct – don’t visit at high tide or you will find that the whole beach is underwater. I thought that I was a bit of a clever lad because I had googled the tide times the night before our visit. Well, my boastful confidence was misplaced! We arrived at 11.30am, high tide was at 12.57pm so I thought we would be able to access the tidal pool no problems. Big mistake on my part! We literally just made it. We were just able to make the short walk from the car park to the tidal pool but only just and with rather wet clothes! I would not recommend that you leave it that late if you’ve got small children with you as the water was getting a little high. The bemused looks of some of their locals looking down at us from the backyards was an absolute classic (‘who are these idiots?’…..)

Enough of my silly tips – now for some photos! This could be interesting as I’m not the most technologically literate chap on this earth…

More to follow….

Best regards from your # 1 customer :magnum: :higgins:

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#19 Post by TSMIV »

Here's the seawall at the tidal pool...

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#20 Post by TSMIV »

and the panorama from the tidal pool as you look out to the ocean.......

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#21 Post by TSMIV »

Two more of the tidal pool sea wall... :higgins:

:magnum:

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by TSMIV »

Here are a few shots I took whilst standing on the sea wall looking in at Pahonu. You really have to stretch to obtain any sort of decent photo because the trees and the shrub at the fence line above the sea wall are so thick. Times sure have changed since MPI was actually filmed here. My family and I were watching ‘Summer School’ (6.13) last night and there was one scene where Higgins :higgins: was standing near the main house looking out at the ocean and you could easily see the walls that surround the tidal pool! (no thick trees on the fence line then)….

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#23 Post by TSMIV »

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by TSMIV »

One more taken whilst standing on the sea wall looking in at Pahonu - volleyball anyone?....

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by TSMIV »

Here are some photos taken whilst standing at the front gate to Pahonu. I was vainly hoping that Magnum might come roaring down the driveway in his Ferrari…. :magnum: