Magnum on Blu Ray?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

Magnum on Blu Ray?

#1 Post by 308GTS »

I wonder if we will (highly unlikely) ever see MPI on Blu Ray? Clearly the show was produced using film, well at least the early seasons were. Some of the later seasons look a little fuzzy, that typical video-ish look, but I could be wrong. I know that some of the later editions of Miami Vice/Moonlighting etc were shot on video and it clearly showed.

I guess the reason I mention it is because the DVD's are beginning to look really pretty terrible, especially when viewed on a TV larger than 32" as the Blu Ray player has to try and stretch the 480 lines of DVD encoded data across 1080, which looks pretty bad!

So many of the 60's, 70's, 80's and many later shows were all filmed using high quality 35mm film stock so they can easily be transferred to the highest quality medium, even 4K!

What does everyone think?
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

JungleBird
Commander

Re: Magnum on Blu Ray?

#2 Post by JungleBird »

Well, that's one of my biggest wishes, too. Magnum indeed was filmed on actual 35mm film - in all 8 seasons.
Theoretically, it would be easy to transfer the 35mm tapes to 1080p (or even a little more). The question is wheter the studios are willing to spend money on this process or not.
Until today, there have been some examples for this (Star Trek, the original series, is available in 1080p on bluray today).
Sadly, we don't see this happen very often. The original 5-0 also doesn't exist on bluray (altough it would be possible as it's on 35mm, too).

However, there already exist better versions in 720p HD - they're for HD TV channels. At least here in Germany, we have Magnum airing in (real!) 720p which really looks much better than the DVDs!
As I'm watching Magnum on a large screen/ projector, I managed to get the recordings of all seasons in 720p (from german TV) and I'm really happy with the improvement in sharpness.
On larger screens, the poor DVD quality really hurts sometimes...

So... until now, no bluray. :( But it's possible, so I'm still hoping for Magnum to appear in Full HD (and remastered) one day :magnum:

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by steveadl »

Can't see it happening. Blu Ray will probably die the same slow death as DVD's as the industry moves to purely online/downloadable versions.

Problem is where that leaves shows like Magnum which aren't mainstream enough for the studio's to worry about licensing rights yet...

ROBIN 23
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#4 Post by ROBIN 23 »

Aloha! Magnum fans in the United States may already know that a Blu-Ray version of the show is now offered in the UK in a region B format. I recently ordered the Blu-ray complete collection box set from Amazon.uk and had it delivered to my home in Texas. I then ordered a Panasonic DMP-BD270 multizone player from MULTISYSTEM-ELECTRONICS from the regular Amazon USA website. You will find my review of the player under Customer reviews on Amazon. Note: The average Blu-ray player purchased in the US will not play discs outside of region A.

Within minutes of receiving the player I was watching my all-time favorite show like I had never seen before. It is thrilling to be able to see those incredibly small details! The audio quality is astonishing. Highly recommend the discs and player to all Magnum maniacs! Mahalo. :magnum:

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by Nikita70 »

I’ve read very mixed reviews on this set. Post some screen captures if you will. Along with your overall opinion of the set after you have delved into it a bit.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

ROBIN 23 wrote:Aloha! Magnum fans in the United States may already know that a Blu-Ray version of the show is now offered in the UK in a region B format. I recently ordered the Blu-ray complete collection box set from Amazon.uk and had it delivered to my home in Texas. I then ordered a Panasonic DMP-BD270 multizone player from MULTISYSTEM-ELECTRONICS from the regular Amazon USA website. You will find my review of the player under Customer reviews on Amazon. Note: The average Blu-ray player purchased in the US will not play discs outside of region A.

Within minutes of receiving the player I was watching my all-time favorite show like I had never seen before. It is thrilling to be able to see those incredibly small details! The audio quality is astonishing. Highly recommend the discs and player to all Magnum maniacs! Mahalo. :magnum:

Congrats ROBIN 23! Santa was nice to me and brought me a Region Free Blu-Ray players as well as the European BLu-Rays. So far, they look fantastic!

We were discussing them here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3352&start=90
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by 308GTS »

I'm waiting for the Blu Ray Box set to come down in price a little bit more before buying, but definitely will get.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by Nikita70 »

From what I understand there is a 4% speed up in the Region 2 Blu-ray Set. Is this noticeable at all? In voices or music? If we don’t get a US release I’ll be forced into buying this one.

knight8882
Lieutenant

#9 Post by knight8882 »

Makes sense they would come out with a higher quality version than what was previously available. When the show was still on Netflix a few years back, it was streamed in 1080, along with a lot of other great shows from the 60s-80s. It was awesome to watch all of those old shows in that quality. It just showed so much more detail than I ever remembered, much more like really being there. So if Netflix was able to convert them and stream them in such high quality, I'm sure it could be done with a physical box set. Is the new Blu-Ray set in 1080 then? Looking to update to the highest quality physical copy before DVDs/Blu-ray go the way of the dodo.
Magnum, remember what I told you about Robin Masters?

I lied.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by perfectlykevin »

Glad I saw this post! I was going to order the Blu_Ray box set on Amazon, but read the fine print about it not working for North America. :P

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by Nikita70 »

I can mod my Blu-ray player for $100 to play any region Discs. I want to buy the set but I think I’m going to hold out a little longer for a domestic release, hopefully with subtitles. I have the dvd sets so if I want to watch some Magnum it’s no problem.

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#12 Post by Coligion »

Universal is re-releasing the complete series and a seasons 1-4 and 5-8 volumes on DVD this September. Likely to coincide with the reboot's release. How disappointing no Blu-ray was prepped :(

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... ayforum-20

https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-P-I-Seaso ... ayforum-20

https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-P-I-Seaso ... =magnum+pi

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by Nikita70 »

Seriously disappointed

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by T.Q. »

Nikita70 wrote:Seriously disappointed
So I’m not really well versed in this stuff.

So, I assume people wanted a ‘remastered’ version via Blu-Ray in North America right?

However this release coming is basically same as previous DVD releases just repackaged?

Is that accurate?

Mahalo
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by Nikita70 »

AFAIK it’s just a repackage. Yes to a remastered Blu-ray!