How did Higgins come to live in Hawaii?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

How did Higgins come to live in Hawaii?

#1 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I've been thinking about Higgins lately and as far as I can recall, it was never established how he came to live in Hawaii and how/why he transitioned from a military / espionage man in to a majordomo. We do know that Robin hired him in 1972 to replace the former majordomo after he was fired, but did he hire him from the UK and bring him over? Unlikely. Did Higgins make his own way to Hawaii and apply for the job when it became available? It seems there was a lot to mine here for possible episode scripts.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: How did Higgins come to live in Hawaii?

#2 Post by marlboro »

I guess we'll just have to wait until he finishes his memoirs.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

Re: How did Higgins come to live in Hawaii?

#3 Post by Reef monkey »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I've been thinking about Higgins lately and as far as I can recall, it was never established how he came to live in Hawaii and how/why he transitioned from a military / espionage man in to a majordomo. We do know that Robin hired him in 1972 to replace the former majordomo after he was fired, but did he hire him from the UK and bring him over? Unlikely. Did Higgins make his own way to Hawaii and apply for the job when it became available? It seems there was a lot to mine here for possible episode scripts.
I don't think it's necessarily that unlikely that RM hired Higgins overseas and brought him to Hawaii to manage his estate. RM was a globetrotting author, so quite possible he met Higgins overseas somewhere, liked the cut of his jib, and offered him the job. Higgins had served in the military at least since World War II, which would put him pretty close to retirement at the beginning of the series. Having a cushy sunsetting job with room and board at a mansion in a tropical paradise to augment his pension would be a pretty good incentive for a confirmed bachelor like Higgins to pack up and move.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850