Is the reboot cancelled again?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

Is the reboot cancelled again?

#1 Post by Magnum4eva »

I recently saw something interesting. Idk how true it is but it appears that the reboot got cancelled again on NBC this time. If it's true then I can't say I'm surprised because they barely even promoted the thing and they didn't seem to have much confidence in it anyways with the ten episode order for season 5 and then possible season 6.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Is the reboot cancelled again?

#2 Post by Pahonu »

Magnum4eva wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:04 pm I recently saw something interesting. Idk how true it is but it appears that the reboot got cancelled again on NBC this time. If it's true then I can't say I'm surprised because they barely even promoted the thing and they didn't seem to have much confidence in it anyways with the ten episode order for season 5 and then possible season 6.
https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopi ... =23&t=4763

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Reef monkey »

From what I have heard, the writers strike doomed the show. The show itself wasn't in need of a renewal right now because Season 5 has been split in 2, with the second half airing in 2024. The problem is, the cast's options expired on June 30, so NBC had three choices, in descending order of cost: 1.) commit early to a 6th season now 2.) not commit now to buying a 6th season, but pay to renew the cast's options which would give them the option to buy a 6th season later, or 3.) release the actors which would end the series. Because of the writers strike, it's unclear when scripted shows would be able to go back into production, so spending money now for a product they might not get for a long time seemed like too much of a risk, I guess.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Pahonu

#4 Post by Pahonu »

Reef monkey wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:30 pm From what I have heard, the writers strike doomed the show. The show itself wasn't in need of a renewal right now because Season 5 has been split in 2, with the second half airing in 2024. The problem is, the cast's options expired on June 30, so NBC had three choices, in descending order of cost: 1.) commit early to a 6th season now 2.) not commit now to buying a 6th season, but pay to renew the cast's options which would give them the option to buy a 6th season later, or 3.) release the actors which would end the series. Because of the writers strike, it's unclear when scripted shows would be able to go back into production, so spending money now for a product they might not get for a long time seemed like too much of a risk, I guess.
Good synopsis, thanks.

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by Raykv423 »

The reboot’s series finale will air on January 10, 2024, at least according to Google. Shorter than the original MPI. I have mixed feelings about the reboot and I always prefer the original but it’s kinda a shame it’s ending either way. Curious how it’s gonna end but I hope it won’t end in a cliffhanger.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Magnum4eva »

Well, hopefully for the people that actually like and watch it they get can take some solace in knowing it's actually ending. The original's ending couldn't have been more perfect and is still in the top five most watched television events ever.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Magnum4eva wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:11 am Well, hopefully for the people that actually like and watch it they get can take some solace in knowing it's actually ending. The original's ending couldn't have been more perfect and is still in the top five most watched television events ever.
Really? I never knew the original MPI's finale was a much-watched event. I knew about the last episode of M*A*S*H and The Fugitive being one of the most watched TV events ever but not MPI. Probably because MPI by then was not the hit it was in the earlier seasons. I think it was after season 4 that the show dropped out of the top 20. By 1984-1985 NBC really took over with Cosby, Family Ties, Cheers, Miami Vice, etc. and MPI fell off the top of the ratings where it had been prior. I didn't think too many people were still watching by the time the finale aired (except for the hardcore fans).

Pahonu

#8 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:25 pm
Magnum4eva wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:11 am Well, hopefully for the people that actually like and watch it they get can take some solace in knowing it's actually ending. The original's ending couldn't have been more perfect and is still in the top five most watched television events ever.
Really? I never knew the original MPI's finale was a much-watched event. I knew about the last episode of M*A*S*H and The Fugitive being one of the most watched TV events ever but not MPI. Probably because MPI by then was not the hit it was in the earlier seasons. I think it was after season 4 that the show dropped out of the top 20. By 1984-1985 NBC really took over with Cosby, Family Ties, Cheers, Miami Vice, etc. and MPI fell off the top of the ratings where it had been prior. I didn't think too many people were still watching by the time the finale aired (except for the hardcore fans).
It was a pretty big deal at the time, I remember. One of the things that fueled it was that the series was supposed to end the year before and had a pretty dramatic conclusion. Then it was announced that Selleck had agreed to do one more, shortened season, and that gave it a bit more notice. People realized this finale really was the end and it was going to be a two-parter. I don’t remember it being in the top five, but I can’t say it wasn’t. I just recall it being highly anticipated and had a lot of media coverage.

I didn’t include a description of the dramatic conclusion of season seven as I remembered you haven’t seen it, but be careful. Someone might comment on it here and ruin it for you. You have been warned! LOL

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:37 pm
It was a pretty big deal at the time, I remember. One of the things that fueled it was that the series was supposed to end the year before and had a pretty dramatic conclusion. Then it was announced that Selleck had agreed to do one more, shortened season, and that gave it a bit more notice. People realized this finale really was the end and it was going to be a two-parter. I don’t remember it being in the top five, but I can’t say it wasn’t. I just recall it being highly anticipated and had a lot of media coverage.

I didn’t include a description of the dramatic conclusion of season seven as I remembered you haven’t seen it, but be careful. Someone might comment on it here and ruin it for you. You have been warned! LOL
Something about a coma or TM dying? :lol:

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:15 pm

Something about a coma or TM dying? :lol:
Not saying! Catch yourself up. You’ve been
on the forum for a decade. :lol:

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#11 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Faith and Begorrah!

Pahonu

#12 Post by Pahonu »

Friends, Seinfeld, and Cheers finales came after, so MPI would have been in the top five when it aired.

Thanks

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#13 Post by Magnum4eva »

I was surprised myself but I've read it in a few articles mentioning how it was one of the most watched tv events. I was pleasantly surprised but not too much since it is Magnum.