The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Shazza
Ensign

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1471 Post by Shazza »

Hi All, I'm new to this site and thought I would post some photos from my recent visit to the tidal pool at Robin Masters Estate on 6 December. We managed to catch a bus from Waikiki to Waimanalo Beach and timed it for low tide so we could walk along the beach to the tidal pool. We weren't sure what to expect after reading that the President may have bought the estate. This place was on my bucket list and to be turned away would have been devastating. But we were in luck, we had the whole tidal pool to ourselves. It is not very deep, there is not much beach left and we were quite shocked at the appearance of the buildings. Peering through the fence it looks like some work is being done to the roof of the main house and there was a new-looking ride-on mower on the grounds. While we were swimming in the tidal pool, the Magnum Helicopter was hovering over the top of us - that was a real buzz - just like TC was there with us! So glad I got to experience this place and hope that the tidal pool will be kept public so others can experience it too.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#1472 Post by BWheelz54 »

Your pictures are stunning! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I'm going to steal them and use them as my desktop image. Merry Christmas!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1473 Post by 308GUY »

Faith and Begorrah! Welcome to MM.

Pictures are great, thanks for sharing.

Also glad to hear that as of th 6th of Dec., 2015, the tidal pool is still accessible. Hope it remains so.

Your report concerning the buildings just reconfirms other reports that they are in a sad state of repair.

Would sure like to know what the plans of the new owners are.

The fact that you observed work being done on the roof of the main house, seems encouraging. Why would anyone do repairs to the roof of a structure that was to be replaced?

Look forward to seeing more of your adventures on the island.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Magnum's moustache
Lieutenant Commander

#1474 Post by Magnum's moustache »

Thank you so much Shazza, your post gives me hope!!
Higgins: Magnum, you are clad only in your undershorts.
Magnum: Of course I am.
Higgins: Even for you I find that just a trifle casual.

{Unless you treat failure as part of the journey, you're never going to get anywhere.} ~ Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#1475 Post by ConchRepublican »

I continue the praise, thank you for sharing Shazza!!!

A Hawaii trip, with an estate visit, has been a bucket list thing for me as long as I can remember. I thought I was getting close the last few years but life got in the way. I'm not saying anymore about it until I'm posting a picture of myself from the tidal pool.

Glad you were able to make the pilgrimage!!!! :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Diandra
Captain

#1476 Post by Diandra »

Thanks for the photos! They bring back memories of our visit. We'd love to go back again!!!

mikeaz123
Commander

#1477 Post by mikeaz123 »

We will be visiting towards the end of the month so will try to update on any changes. Last time I was there was about 4 years ago.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#1478 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:I continue the praise, thank you for sharing Shazza!!!

A Hawaii trip, with an estate visit, has been a bucket list thing for me as long as I can remember. I thought I was getting close the last few years but life got in the way. I'm not saying anymore about it until I'm posting a picture of myself from the tidal pool.

Glad you were able to make the pilgrimage!!!! :magnum:
You sir, of all people, deserve a pilgrimage to our Mecca. Got to make it happen.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Fr Paddy II
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1479 Post by Fr Paddy II »

Hi Guys,

Greetings from Ireland.

This is my first time posting on this site but I have been a lurker for a number of years. Congrats on an excellent site, keep up the great work. I have been a huge Magnum fan since I was a kid.

I have visited the Anderson Estate twice, My first time was in 2013. I completely fell in love with the Island and the house, especially the tidal pool at the rear

I decided that we had to go back one more time on holiday, as I fear, like most that the estate and the tidal pool will become off limits after Obama leaves office.

I arrived at the estate on Feb 10th, I noticed that the front gates were open and there were work vans parked inside the estate. There was also a white car parked under a tarpaulin.

Unfortunately, there was some graffiti on the walls.

The next day, I made my way up to Turtle Bay to take a helicopter ride around the island. It had to be T.C's chopper of course. Here are some aerial shots of the house as we flew over. I chatted with the pilot (who was a massive Magnum fan), he said that he was getting very worried about the rumours that Obama has bought the property, as civil aircraft will no longer be allowed to fly over the estate if an ex President moved in.

I swam in the tidal pool every morning that we were on the island, I think it is one of the best places on the island to swim. It is usually always deserted and the sea is always very calm in the pool. When I arrived there Feb 12th, I noticed workmen putting up new fencing. I got chatting to one of the guys and he said that they were trying to secure the property as people were getting into the house at night. He said that some one had entered the house the previous night. I asked him when work would start on the house, he said that they were waiting for permits. I then asked what the plans were for the house, he said that the house was going to be remodeled as the interior was in very bad condition, he didn't go into any more detail.

All of the fencing was replaced with new black plastic coated metal fencing. Part of the wall near the boat house has broken away, you can see the pieces that fell off behind the fence.

As a souvenir, I took a small piece of black volcanic rock that had broken off the wall. All of the cement on the wall is impregnated with this type of rock for effect.

We had a fantastic time on the Island, the highlight for me was taking my morning swim in the tidal pool every morning (just like Magnum!!). I feel sad though, knowing that I probably will never swim there again, if indeed Obama has bought the property.

Thanks for reading.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#1480 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Excellent update Shazza! Thanks for taking the time.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#1481 Post by steveadl »

Awesome pics Paddy, thanks for posting!

It's actually nice to see a new fence being put up and some proper repair work being carried out and planned. It's always amazed me at the strange and half-hearted repairs that have been done over the years. For example when a few years back when they took the frames of the boat shed windows, painted around them, put them back and then just stopped painting the wall on the bottom half as shown in so may of the photos we've seen such as Paddy's latest one above. :shock:

Looks like you were there at the perfect time Paddy, photo of the old fence falling apart (with mesh being held on by string!) and now the new one.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1482 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome Fr Paddy McGuinness....what an entrance! :magnum:

Always great to see new pics, especially like these that show some progress toward a renovation.

Sounds like the whole place will be off limits by the time I get things in order enough to be able to visit.

Oh well, as long as I get to look at all the pics you guys that get to go post, I'm good.

I'm sure nothing replaces the actual experience of "being there", but sometimes circumstances just don't allow those kind of plans to be implemented. :cry:

Thanks again for posting the pics, they are really nice shots.

Please post whatever you've got from any of your trips to Pahonu! :magnum:

Well......I noticed the name duplication, but didn't take time to look up in the members list the fact that it is an EXACT duplication....I just attributed it to my aging brain recalling that maybe the original was just Fr Paddy rather than the full name. Twins maybe? :lol: or maybe an Irish version of Daryl, Daryl and Daryl....
Last edited by 308GUY on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1483 Post by Steve »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Excellent update Shazza! Thanks for taking the time.

Yes, great pics and update..........Viking Fences.......J.Digger Doyle approved..........

Diandra
Captain

#1484 Post by Diandra »

I love your photos! My husband and I would like to revisit the tidal pool one
more time, so we're hoping that it won't be off limits to the public.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#1485 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Am I seeing myself? I think I've had a bit too much whiskey.
Last edited by Fr. Paddy McGuinness on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Faith and Begorrah!