The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1391 Post by KENJI »

golfmobile wrote:J.J.!!

Great to hear from you. You've been quiet for quite some length of time, it seems to me. I'm glad you at least followed this, though I imagine you had to catch up on quite a few pages! Hope all is well with you and yours.

Going to be bypassing Hawaii on our next trip -- starting Sunday! We're off to . . . . wait for it, are you ready?

Tahiti!!

Three days on Moorea and four on Bora Bora in an overwater bungalow. Of course, we'll see most of the same fish we see in Hawaii. Next year: the Maldives for Indian Ocean fish to see while snorkeling.

Still gotta stay up to date with all the Magnum Maniacs. Always! There is NO better group anywhere on the internet. (Take that, Facebook!!)

golf

P.S. Sorry, all! I probably should have put this in a PM. A little too many of those umbrella drinks before I even get there . . . . .

Bon Voyage Golf!

You are going to love it there!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1392 Post by KENJI »

Inside Edition's story on the sale of Pahonu.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8VOxWaQpUw

KHON2 News story on the sale.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36L1e8W8vSE

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#1393 Post by steveadl »

Thanks for the video link Kenji.

With regard to the sale and the Obama's - there's a couple things I don't get, perhaps not being American?
- First some of the comments here being so opposed to Obama being the person who lives there. I understand politics, but having said that - even if a political leader of the opposition party to which I support were in there, it really wouldn't bother me. But to each their own I guess. :?:

- Secondly, can someone explain to me why this rumour mill is still going on? We have a direct statement from Marty saying he is the buyer, plus an official statement from the White House saying there is no comment as Obama is not in any way involved in the transaction.

Is the theory that Marty bought it to flip it to Obama later on? Is that why the rumours persist?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#1394 Post by Doc Ibold »

steveadl wrote:Thanks for the video link Kenji.

With regard to the sale and the Obama's - there's a couple things I don't get, perhaps not being American?
- First some of the comments here being so opposed to Obama being the person who lives there. I understand politics, but having said that - even if a political leader of the opposition party to which I support were in there, it really wouldn't bother me. But to each their own I guess. :?:

- Secondly, can someone explain to me why this rumour mill is still going on? We have a direct statement from Marty saying he is the buyer, plus an official statement from the White House saying there is no comment as Obama is not in any way involved in the transaction.

Is the theory that Marty bought it to flip it to Obama later on? Is that why the rumours persist?
Hi steveadl,

American politics is quite partisan to say the least, and there are plenty of people who dislike the president - right, wrong or indifferent. Maybe I'm old school, but I'm of the belief that you should respect the office even if you don't agree with the politics of the chief executive or his party. That being said, these forums aren't a police state and people are entitled to their own opinions... So I let the conversation continue as long as it remains relatively civil and people aren't attacking each other.

The rumor mill is pretty much as you stated, in that the theory is that Marty will turn it over to the Obamas for a presidential residence once Barack Obama's term is over, or they will buy it from him. I'm not exactly sure of all that, but I am happy that Pahonu will remain intact and won't be subdivided into a bunch of smaller lots, thus destroying a pretty cherished landmark around these parts... Which is what was the previous rumor. As it wasn't open to the public previously, I couldn't care less who lives there, as long as they keep the property intact and do something to restore it and maintain it.

-Doc

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1395 Post by Steve »

Doc Ibold wrote:
steveadl wrote:Thanks for the video link Kenji.

Hi steveadl,

American politics is quite partisan to say the least, and there are plenty of people who dislike the president - right, wrong or indifferent. Maybe I'm old school, but I'm of the belief that you should respect the office even if you don't agree with the politics of the chief executive or his party. That being said, these forums aren't a police state and people are entitled to their own opinions... So I let the conversation continue as long as it remains relatively civil and people aren't attacking each other.

The rumor mill is pretty much as you stated, in that the theory is that Marty will turn it over to the Obamas for a presidential residence once Barack Obama's term is over, or they will buy it from him. I'm not exactly sure of all that, but I am happy that Pahonu will remain intact and won't be subdivided into a bunch of smaller lots, thus destroying a pretty cherished landmark around these parts... Which is what was the previous rumor. As it wasn't open to the public previously, I couldn't care less who lives there, as long as they keep the property intact and do something to restore it and maintain it.

-Doc
Thank You Doc (and Steveadl)....Obama is the 11th President since I was born..... good, mediocre or bad I believe everyone of them loved the Country and tried their best. That being said I don't care if it is the Obama's or Mr Nesbitt and agree with Doc that it is nice it will remain entact. If it is Obama I keep telling my wife that the oldest daughter (Malia) is the same age as our son and they share the same alergist here in Chicago so his mission is to marry into the family (hey, it's one way to get inside the property) 8)

Fat Jack
Captain

#1396 Post by Fat Jack »

steveadl wrote: - Secondly, can someone explain to me why this rumour mill is still going on? We have a direct statement from Marty saying he is the buyer, plus an official statement from the White House saying there is no comment as Obama is not in any way involved in the transaction.
Hi Steveadl,

I'm of the opinion that just because the White House said "the President is not party to the transaction" doesn't mean he won't end up with Pahonu. At my age I've learned to always read between the lines when it comes to politicians, and at this point I'm leaving it open to any possibility.

Regardless, I was happy and encouraged that someone in the (semi) public eye purchased Pahonu because there's perhaps more of an opportunity to see photos, hear news about it, etc. than if it was purchased by a corporation or a random private citizen (present company excluded of course!) Hopefully the Hawaii news outlets will stay on the story and keep us updated.

Politics aside, the Nesbitts (and Obamas) seem like good people and it'd be nice to see that wonderful property fully enjoyed by a family and come alive again.

Fat Jack
Captain

#1397 Post by Fat Jack »

308GUY wrote: Just thought I'd share this tidbit of info that CalHwy sent me after he had toured the estate, and found that it was going to "another" bidder:
Hey 308GUY,

Did CalHwy happen to find out what the bloody :higgins: cement slab is in the turtle pond? I pm'ed him last week but he hasn't picked it up. Thanks!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1398 Post by KENJI »

I'm with you guys.....if Pahonu is still standing for another day then I don't really care who owns it.

Having said that I don’t think the place is a good fit for Obama (assuming this theory is proven down the road) because of the security issues and the close proximity to public beaches and parks. I would think that he would want to get out of the public eye when he retires, but living there you will have all of us MM fans, plus political fans (and others) wading in the tidal pool waiting for a sighting. I don`t know if Marty even knows how many of us make the pilgrimage to Pahonu and peek over the fence so that might come as a bit of a shock....Eve is giggling right about now.
Waimanalo is a quiet area full of locals and I think many are very concerned about the possibility of Obama living there not because of his political views (for some that will be the case), but the additional attention he would bring to the Pahonu and the area.....loads of curious people hoping for a pic will come and take away some of the peace and privacy that makes the place so special. Also the security would be a nightmare when he is in town as Pahonu is on the highway so think of the congestion that would form when checkpoints are put up etc.....it doesn`t make sense and it`s really not fair to inconvenience so many people for one household....yes he is the President, but.......I think a place in a gated community away from all the cars and public would be a smarter and more considerate choice, but who am I to make that decision for either one of them. It’s their right to buy whatever home they want and this one is a gem. Again, if Pahonu has a chance at a second life, then that will be the sacrifice that some will have to deal with on a daily basis and for us, just when we are on holidays, so I`m okay with one of them living there, but for the neighbors trying to get to work or enjoy some quiet time on the weekend they will disagree and I get that too.
I think the confidentiality agreement/secrecy between the parties only makes the public more interested in knowing the details and players behind the deal. As F.J. was saying you have to take anything a politician has to say with a grain of salt so who knows if the Obama’s will own it down the road or not....time will tell. I’m still interested in who is behind Hoaloha Holdings.
Maybe there is more to the story or maybe it just a simple business decision between two friends/business associates to loan the money to Marty and nothing more. It’s none of our business, but curiosity can get the best of us (at least for me) and when you put Pahonu and the President in the same equation, I’m interested in the answer!
We haven’t heard anything from Marty/Waimanalo Paradise LLC on his intentions for the place so we are actually assuming the Nesbitt Nation will live there and maybe the President down the road. Marty is a smart businessman and is no stranger to real estate deals, so maybe he sees Pahonu as a fixer upper with great potential to flip and make a million or two. In my opinion, Pahonu would’ve sold quicker and for more money if Eve would’ve fixed the place up and staged it. A few of her reasons might’ve been privacy issues and/or lack of funds, both are guesses and not proven. Getting back to Marty, he has taken out close to a million more on the mortgage, so maybe he fixes the plumbing, electrical, landscaping, paints the place and adds some some staging furniture and attempts to flip it. He might also be a huge fan of the show (he’s the right age, so is the President) and this would make a great trophy house or project for a multi millionaire to fix up and enjoy and/or rent out so we shouldn’t rule that out yet. We assume that he won’t allow the place to be used in tv (i.e. HFO etc.), but we might even have a better chance of this happening with him than with Eve. He won’t be there year round, so why not have the place pay for the upkeep. We also can’t rule out the possibility of the place (or part of it) being levelled down the road to make room for something bigger, maybe he might hold it and subdivide years down the road.....lots of options.The next year or two will be very interesting at Pahonu and I’m sure we will get some clarity on the direction Marty is taking Pahonu during this time.

Diandra
Captain

#1399 Post by Diandra »

Fat Jack wrote:
308GUY wrote: Just thought I'd share this tidbit of info that CalHwy sent me after he had toured the estate, and found that it was going to "another" bidder:
Hey 308GUY,

Did CalHwy happen to find out what the bloody :higgins: cement slab is in the turtle pond? I pm'ed him last week but he hasn't picked it up. Thanks!

Hi, I had checked the Magnum Mania website and found that the cement slab was a water distribution box. Hope this helps,

Fat Jack
Captain

#1400 Post by Fat Jack »

Diandra wrote:
Fat Jack wrote:
Hey 308GUY,

Hi, I had checked the Magnum Mania website and found that the cement slab was a water distribution box. Hope this helps,
Thanks Diandra,

I did see that in the concrete slab thread, but I thought CalHwy might have been personally told by Eve or Mary what it is so the answer could then be "carved in stone" :wink:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1401 Post by 308GUY »

Fat Jack wrote:
Hey 308GUY,

Jack: It was never mentioned in his messages with me.

Haven't heard anything further since he informed me that the deal went to another buyer.

I've also sent several pm's, with no response.

He was very forthcoming with me, and did eventually reveal who he was, and how he could be in a position to even consider the purchase, but he expressed his preference to remain "anonymous" and I respect that. If he's still checking in here, he'll explain what he wants/needs to, but I will say that from what I gathered, he stays extremely busy most of the time.

As for the "slab"......the water distribution box seemed like the most logical explanation to me, especially looking at the diagrams that were provided in the other thread. I could also imagine something having to do with the sea turtles, since that is supposedly why the tidal pool originated, but the configuration of the slab, just doesn't look to me like it would have much use in regard to holding turtles! :magnum: JMHO
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#1402 Post by erock308 »

I'm personally waiting of this ad to pop up on Craig's List:

"Cozy one bedroom guesthouse available on quiet secluded beachfront estate in exchange for looking after estate security and performing a few odd jobs now and then. Vehicle and other benefits also included, inquire in person at 41-505 Kalanianaole Highway."
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1403 Post by KENJI »

Another short news clip on the purchase......go to 46 seconds on the count for the beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmHMYMYsJtI

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1404 Post by KENJI »

This short clip from the White House denying any connection to the sale.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQv8nzd-BUU

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1405 Post by KENJI »

Some old footage outside Pahonu prior to the clear cut on the left side of the gate. It will be interesting to see if the Nesbitts do something on the right side or leave it for more privacy. The road is a bit higher on the right side allowing for a better view in so I think they will leave it or even add more plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_hkE9nI9Vc