The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1171 Post by KENJI »

No demolition yet Lui, so you can relax.
Have a great trip!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1172 Post by 308GUY »

lui:

If you have the computing "power" and the time, take a look at Rubber Chicken's Guide-Magnum PI Locations. You will have to download the program, but the instructions are there on the first page of the Magnum Mania home page, which you can get to by clicking on the logo at the top of every page, including this one. That's provided you don't already know about it.

The guide will show you many points of interest to make your Oahu experience a unique Magnum PI experience.

Have fun! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

lui
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1173 Post by lui »

Yeah, thats great! Thank you...theres some places, which i don`t have on my list.
Today i booked a hour with T.C.`s Iland Hoppers helicopter. It`s a beautifull replica and it is another highlight in our time on Oahu. Mmmhh, i think it is...i never flight with a helicopter before :roll:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1174 Post by Steve »

lui wrote:Yeah, thats great! Thank you...theres some places, which i don`t have on my list.
Today i booked a hour with T.C.`s Iland Hoppers helicopter. It`s a beautifull replica and it is another highlight in our time on Oahu. Mmmhh, i think it is...i never flight with a helicopter before :roll:
You will want to check the tide charts when you are going to see The Estate as low tide makes for an easier walk from the parking lot at Kaiona Beach along the beach to the Tidal Pool.
Here is a good tidal chart site to check for low tide.
http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/in ... i&zipcode=

lui
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1175 Post by lui »

Thank you for the link! is it a good parking at Kaiona Beach?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1176 Post by Steve »

lui wrote:Thank you for the link! is it a good parking at Kaiona Beach?
It's a very small parking lot but if you go during the week you should be fine............

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#1177 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Don't leave anything valuable in your car there.
Burglaries are pretty common at that car park - particularly on rental cars

Seattle Magnum
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1178 Post by Seattle Magnum »

Thanks, Fleet, My Dad is from London and spent time in Kent. Cheers, Ian Phillips

lui
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1179 Post by lui »

Aloha From Hawaii!
Now we are here on Oahu and visit the estate. It is in bad conditions like the picture in the web. The garden looks many better. We can`t see the big house because it is so many green around them. The tidal pool is great and i´m very happy to swim in like Thomas.
Tomorrow we are flight with the replica of TC´s chopper around oahu and take at the last a look of the estate from the air.
Unfortunately I do not know how I can put in the images .

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#1180 Post by golfmobile »

I'm sure I'm just the first to say it, but we ALL look forward to a report on your helicopter flight in T.C.'s Island Hopper replica helicopter! If you can upload your photos on Flickr or a picture-hosting site like that, you can then post a link to your "album" there and we can probably see the pictures that way. I'm sure we would all love to see those too.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

vallim
Ensign

#1181 Post by vallim »

lui wrote:Aloha From Hawaii!
Now we are here on Oahu and visit the estate. It is in bad conditions like the picture in the web. The garden looks many better. We can`t see the big house because it is so many green around them. The tidal pool is great and i´m very happy to swim in like Thomas.
Tomorrow we are flight with the replica of TC´s chopper around oahu and take at the last a look of the estate from the air.
Unfortunately I do not know how I can put in the images .
Please enter your Flickr photos on the site so we can all see ( Google Translate ) .
Thank you so much .
Brazil

ClayMannPi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1182 Post by ClayMannPi »

Duke wrote:The price is coming down, and be certain that there are developers watching that. When I spoke to the realtor last March, she made it clear that the property could and likely would be subdivided into up to three separate lots...however, she explained that in doing so, there would be significant legal issues with which to contend.

For me, I would buy it, knock down everything except the gatehouse, and go back with a new sea wall, better/higher perimeter walls, a guest house IDENTICAL to the interior magnum pad from the series (expanded to proportionate size) with a boat/toy garage under the upper deck, and a new main house in the same Spanish-revival style, but upgraded to modern code, ceiling height, and accoutrements, with a full, finished out basement. I would angle it to capture the ocean views, add a helipad where the tennis/basketball court is, and, of course, an infinity pool/hot tub facing Rabbit Island.

Everyone I know who's lived on Oahu (Military or otherwise) says that Hawaii is a great place to visit, for a week or two, but they ALL say they ended up hating living there. They say that everything costs too much, that there is a deep sense of loneliness that overcomes you after about the 4th week there, that all those planes full of tourists leave in 7 days upon arriving (you're not going to make real friends or meet your one, true love), and that while your friends from back home all tell you they're coming to visit, they never actually do. They won't come because of the cost of the plane tickets, and because (wherever you are living), there isn't ever going to be enough space for them to comfortably stay with you for more than a few days. They also say that it is almost impossible to raise a family there, in any way similar to life on the mainland.

Therefore, a house like Pahonu, would almost have to be a "part-of-the-year" residence. And, even then, only for someone with enough liquid cash to renovate the place, and pay to keep it up, year-round, all the while knowing they won't be there very much (like the FICTIONAL Robin Masters). Unfortunately, the price will have to drop a WHOLE lot more to keep me interested. My experience with high-end real estate is that by the time the price does drop to the right place for me, another 2-4 million, the legal work will already be finished to chop it up into smaller parcels and those lots will already be pre-sold. All of those transactions will then happen in about two days time.

I love the show, the Magnum-Mania site, and this blog. Keep it up, I'll try to check back in.

Duke
Hey guys, I'm new here but long time magnum fan. I work for marvel/DC/other comic companies and have slipped magnum into their comics for 8 years. Anyway, I visited the estate last December and it gave me such a sad empty feeling to see the place as it is. I think it's cool that a fan , someone like Duke ,could obtain the house. I haven't read they everything but can we get together to do a kickstarter fund to help the purchase or renovations? Could do simple shirts backers, engraved stones/bricks, visits... Idk, I'd like to help out and I'm sure we all would... Those of us who don't have millions

sascha2000
Lieutenant

#1183 Post by sascha2000 »

Hello,

I am new here too, from Germany, and since 1980 a Magnum Fan.

I have read partly these posts about Robins Nest and the risc too loose this wonderful place.

So it is just an idea in my head ..... maybe it was discussed here anywhere already .......
well why not trying to start a crowdfunding campain on kickstart with the following goals:

* We are founding a Magnum association or foundation.
* We collect magnum relatet stuff like parts from the set.
* We keep Robins Nest like it is, but adapt the interior according to the Magnum movies.
* We rebuild/convert it into a hotel for magnum fans and other tourists.
* We offer a Ferrari GTO for rent. Maybe we organise some sight seeing tours which are in correlation with the set, the movies etc.
* We could organize a yearly magnum meeting there.
* We could offer sommer "mystery dinners". I dunno if this is known in US, however here in Germany its called "Krimi Dinner", where real actors are playing a story in a restaurant and include the guests into the story.
* and many more.

As far as I know we need to offer some kind of concept or master plan on kickstart. Some in this forum do live there in Hawaii if I got it correct. For this master plan we need to know the legal issues there. For example if it is possible by law to convert in a hotel.

Forther issues are, who does work out this plan?
Who will finish his current job and work for the association as a hotel manager ... and many other questions.....

Regards
Sascha

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#1184 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Just reading again the Zillow infos on Pahonu:

One of the neigboring (much smaller) properties sold in 2013 for 2.8 millions:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/41-49 ... 5639_zpid/

Colt1911
Ensign

#1185 Post by Colt1911 »

Hi Guys!
First, let me thank you for this incredible site. Amazing!!
I´m a big fan, since i saw the series first in the late 80´s!
I totally got addicted to it, in a positiv way. :wink:

The more it concerns me, what will happen to the Nest.
I read some good ideas to raise funds for the renovation.
My question now is, what can i do to keep it alive?
Is there any movement i can join whatsoever?

Thanx for any hints!!

Happy New Year to all of you Magnum Maniacs!!