The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1581 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Here are the remaining pictures from my Actioncam.
Please note the choppy waves

As you see, the foilage in front of the house is really high, 3 years ago you could definittely more from it.

And I've never noticed that chimney before :wink:

Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1582 Post by KENJI »

Great pics of the tidal pool Bond!
Did you see any turtles back there?

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#1583 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Thanks, Kenji :magnum:

This time, we haven't seen turtles - probably because the seas where not calm at all.
On our first trip to Hawaii, I have seen some at Waimanalo Beach.

This aside, it seems to me that the rock wall from the tidal pool gets lower and lower. Not much of it was above sealevel when we've been there 6 weeks ago.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#1584 Post by erock308 »

Bondtoys.de wrote:This aside, it seems to me that the rock wall from the tidal pool gets lower and lower. Not much of it was above sealevel when we've been there 6 weeks ago.
^Global warming... :-(
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#1585 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

^
My guess is more that it's erosion.
I don't deny Global Warming in general though

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#1586 Post by Magnum T. »

Great pictures Bondtoys, thanks for sharing!
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:A couple years ago Sam turned me onto this gentleman's flickr photostream (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kamaaina56/albums)
Gotta take my time to give a look, I love this kind of vintage material.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1587 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Magnum T. wrote:Great pictures Bondtoys, thanks for sharing!
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:A couple years ago Sam turned me onto this gentleman's flickr photostream (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kamaaina56/albums)
Gotta take my time to give a look, I love this kind of vintage material.
Yes, definitely take your time...he has a ton of pictures, plus a lot of interesting comments on many of them from some very knowledgeable folks who lived in Hawaii back then. Hours & hours of enjoyment! :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1588 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I found another map of Pahonu! This one is from 1928 (and cropped...the original extends east and west along the coastline) which is a bit older and definitely more detailed than the last one I found which was dated 1930. Down below I've positioned it over present-day google maps (well, my son actually did it for me :oops: )

Notes of interest:

- Kalanianaole Highway at this time is just the "proposed" location, not yet constructed

- the "Present Road" that is on the property

- a pier drawn just off the main house location?!

- the not-yet constructed storm drain easement looks to have been a natural drainage/waterway

- multiple existing structures on the property

I'm sure you guys will spot even more things I didn't catch!

1928 over present day
Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Mon May 07, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#1589 Post by golfmobile »

Fascinating! Am I wrong, but it looks as though Robin's Nest as we know it now took over seven different original lots?
"Portside, buddy."

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1590 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

golfmobile wrote:Fascinating! Am I wrong, but it looks as though Robin's Nest as we know it now took over seven different original lots?
Hi Golf!

Yes, it looks like seven parcels to me too. :shock:

From doing a lot of research about Eve's ancestors, there is a lot of wealth on her mother's side of the family. Her grandmother, Julia Shepherd Grossman Wall, grew up in Chicago, the daughter of Edward S. Shepherd, a very wealthy businessman. They lived in one of the mansions on Sheridan Rd. (Steve, are you familiar with them?), and they were high society folks.

Here's a mention of her father's will...this $3,800,000 was in 1922 dollars!

When Julia moved to Hawaii she was very much in the "smart set" as they called it. Because of that I've found a lot of fun society blurbs in the papers from back then about attending this party & that tea, their travels, going to their "country" home in Kahala, events at the country club...it goes on & on. Julia's parents even built her and her husband Moses a home in Honolulu that is supposed to look like their mansion back in Chicago......and coincidentally, is for sale right now! I just love all this stuff!

I also find it interesting that Chicago wealth/money purchased the land and built Pahonu, and now it has changed hands to Chicago wealth again!

A link to the listing: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/58 ... ect/15_zm/

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#1591 Post by golfmobile »

Oh, to have $3 million! Two to buy and one to renovate. Bet one could get his money back if it were restored. I just want to fix it up and live there a few years or twenty or so . . . . Right, and I want to wake up tomorrow and have my body be 40 years younger. I have about an equal chance of either.
"Portside, buddy."

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1592 Post by KENJI »

I'm sure a few of our members haven't seen this old Pahonu footage from the original HFO - Woe to Wo Fat airing April/1980......I'll also post it in the HFO thread too - enjoy! Try not to laugh at Steve's undercover work......reminds me a bit of Higgin's disguises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFzl_VkcJjQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW-ITKrpyrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNP6h4CDx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE0iXHSB--M

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#1593 Post by golfmobile »

What I find most interesting about these clips is seeing the original condition of the house (not the MPI interior layout created to be the interior of Robin's Nest) and thinking how terribly sad it is that such a wonderful house has been allowed to deteriorate as we assume it has done, as based on the information released during the sale of the property. It was a wonderful house, and it breaks my heart to know it probably will not be restored to this old original interior architecture and decor. So sad.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#1594 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I found another map of Pahonu! This one is from 1928 (and cropped...the original extends east and west along the coastline) which is a bit older and definitely more detailed than the last one I found which was dated 1930. Down below I've positioned it over present-day google maps (well, my son actually did it for me :oops: )

Notes of interest:

- Kalanianaole Highway at this time is just the "proposed" location, not yet constructed

- the not-yet constructed storm drain easement looks to have been a natural drainage/waterway

1928 over present day
So, was Pahonu originally called Pahanua? Which I presume would sound like "Pah Hah Newa"?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1595 Post by KENJI »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I found another map of Pahonu! This one is from 1928 (and cropped...the original extends east and west along the coastline) which is a bit older and definitely more detailed than the last one I found which was dated 1930. Down below I've positioned it over present-day google maps (well, my son actually did it for me :oops: )

Notes of interest:

1928 over present day
So, was Pahonu originally called Pahanua? Which I presume would sound like "Pah Hah Newa"?
Hey Conch,

I vaguely remember a few years back discussing Pahanua and I think we were leaning towards Pahanua being the name of a person (maybe even an organization) who owned that particular parcel. I do remember us finding a Royal Patent with the patentee being Pahanua (no last name, inc., ltd., mentioned).
I think this was the one..... https://www.waihona.com/previewDoc.asp? ... ocId=64386 . I also remember us finding a Hawaiian document or two with Pahanua in it, but the whole thing was in Hawaiian and too hard to figure out.
Maybe you can ask a Hawaiian at your hotel what the translation is for Pahanua that might help us. :D