The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

vallim
Ensign

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1181 Post by vallim »

lui wrote:Aloha From Hawaii!
Now we are here on Oahu and visit the estate. It is in bad conditions like the picture in the web. The garden looks many better. We can`t see the big house because it is so many green around them. The tidal pool is great and i´m very happy to swim in like Thomas.
Tomorrow we are flight with the replica of TC´s chopper around oahu and take at the last a look of the estate from the air.
Unfortunately I do not know how I can put in the images .
Please enter your Flickr photos on the site so we can all see ( Google Translate ) .
Thank you so much .
Brazil

ClayMannPi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1182 Post by ClayMannPi »

Duke wrote:The price is coming down, and be certain that there are developers watching that. When I spoke to the realtor last March, she made it clear that the property could and likely would be subdivided into up to three separate lots...however, she explained that in doing so, there would be significant legal issues with which to contend.

For me, I would buy it, knock down everything except the gatehouse, and go back with a new sea wall, better/higher perimeter walls, a guest house IDENTICAL to the interior magnum pad from the series (expanded to proportionate size) with a boat/toy garage under the upper deck, and a new main house in the same Spanish-revival style, but upgraded to modern code, ceiling height, and accoutrements, with a full, finished out basement. I would angle it to capture the ocean views, add a helipad where the tennis/basketball court is, and, of course, an infinity pool/hot tub facing Rabbit Island.

Everyone I know who's lived on Oahu (Military or otherwise) says that Hawaii is a great place to visit, for a week or two, but they ALL say they ended up hating living there. They say that everything costs too much, that there is a deep sense of loneliness that overcomes you after about the 4th week there, that all those planes full of tourists leave in 7 days upon arriving (you're not going to make real friends or meet your one, true love), and that while your friends from back home all tell you they're coming to visit, they never actually do. They won't come because of the cost of the plane tickets, and because (wherever you are living), there isn't ever going to be enough space for them to comfortably stay with you for more than a few days. They also say that it is almost impossible to raise a family there, in any way similar to life on the mainland.

Therefore, a house like Pahonu, would almost have to be a "part-of-the-year" residence. And, even then, only for someone with enough liquid cash to renovate the place, and pay to keep it up, year-round, all the while knowing they won't be there very much (like the FICTIONAL Robin Masters). Unfortunately, the price will have to drop a WHOLE lot more to keep me interested. My experience with high-end real estate is that by the time the price does drop to the right place for me, another 2-4 million, the legal work will already be finished to chop it up into smaller parcels and those lots will already be pre-sold. All of those transactions will then happen in about two days time.

I love the show, the Magnum-Mania site, and this blog. Keep it up, I'll try to check back in.

Duke
Hey guys, I'm new here but long time magnum fan. I work for marvel/DC/other comic companies and have slipped magnum into their comics for 8 years. Anyway, I visited the estate last December and it gave me such a sad empty feeling to see the place as it is. I think it's cool that a fan , someone like Duke ,could obtain the house. I haven't read they everything but can we get together to do a kickstarter fund to help the purchase or renovations? Could do simple shirts backers, engraved stones/bricks, visits... Idk, I'd like to help out and I'm sure we all would... Those of us who don't have millions

sascha2000
Lieutenant

#1183 Post by sascha2000 »

Hello,

I am new here too, from Germany, and since 1980 a Magnum Fan.

I have read partly these posts about Robins Nest and the risc too loose this wonderful place.

So it is just an idea in my head ..... maybe it was discussed here anywhere already .......
well why not trying to start a crowdfunding campain on kickstart with the following goals:

* We are founding a Magnum association or foundation.
* We collect magnum relatet stuff like parts from the set.
* We keep Robins Nest like it is, but adapt the interior according to the Magnum movies.
* We rebuild/convert it into a hotel for magnum fans and other tourists.
* We offer a Ferrari GTO for rent. Maybe we organise some sight seeing tours which are in correlation with the set, the movies etc.
* We could organize a yearly magnum meeting there.
* We could offer sommer "mystery dinners". I dunno if this is known in US, however here in Germany its called "Krimi Dinner", where real actors are playing a story in a restaurant and include the guests into the story.
* and many more.

As far as I know we need to offer some kind of concept or master plan on kickstart. Some in this forum do live there in Hawaii if I got it correct. For this master plan we need to know the legal issues there. For example if it is possible by law to convert in a hotel.

Forther issues are, who does work out this plan?
Who will finish his current job and work for the association as a hotel manager ... and many other questions.....

Regards
Sascha

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#1184 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Just reading again the Zillow infos on Pahonu:

One of the neigboring (much smaller) properties sold in 2013 for 2.8 millions:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/41-49 ... 5639_zpid/

Colt1911
Ensign

#1185 Post by Colt1911 »

Hi Guys!
First, let me thank you for this incredible site. Amazing!!
I´m a big fan, since i saw the series first in the late 80´s!
I totally got addicted to it, in a positiv way. :wink:

The more it concerns me, what will happen to the Nest.
I read some good ideas to raise funds for the renovation.
My question now is, what can i do to keep it alive?
Is there any movement i can join whatsoever?

Thanx for any hints!!

Happy New Year to all of you Magnum Maniacs!!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1186 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome Colt1911.

Great site, great people, all in support of a great show. :higgins:

Contact Sascha2000 (pm him) as he is trying to organize an effort to do something, anything, to keep it intact and ideally available for visitation by MPI fans and followers.

Not sure how much success it will have, but in the end, whether it gains anything or not, at least an effort will have been made by some.

Always glad to see new folks show up, kind of reinforces the belief that there may eventually be enough of us to warrant keeping the "the dream" alive. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

CalHwy
Ensign

#1187 Post by CalHwy »

New to the group….I don't want to make even the smallest promise, but it has always been my dream to own this house.
I have been a huge 5O as well as Magnum fan. I used to own a home on Kal Hwy sold to me by the realtor with the listing on this house. The movie industry has been very good to me these past 20 years or so…… Most people that post on this site are dead on- property ownership especially oceanfront in Hawaii is very very expensive- and hard on the nerves. Expenses- Labor and material are 3 times what anyone would consider exorbitant. "Hawaiian Time" is not a joke. OK- if I sell some property etc I could possibly afford this….. BUT is it still Robin's Nest if the main house needs to be gutted, and the beach house is a tear down? 3 acres is a great piece of oceanfront property- but this is not Kahala, Diamond Head or East Honolulu. To be honest, the videos, pictures and stories about "hopping the fence" and the invasion of Mrs. Anderson's privacy have me very concerned- would you want to wake up on a Saturday morning to see strangers in your yard- and possibly your living room (things like this HAVE happened)? That said, I would definitely be way more open to fans (like me) that wanted to see the property we all are drawn to. It would pain me to see the structures torn down and this property divided. This isn't unobtainable for me- but would mean putting a lot of long term assets in one- questionable- very neglected property. I've read every entry in all 120 odd pages and haven't seen any posts from possible buyers- what do you guys think? Is this a dream that you really would want to come true? (I've know people that drive that red Ferrari- people yell things at you and throw things in the back seat if you leave the top down………) Just know- this is an honest post from a McGarrett and Magnum fan!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1188 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome CalHwy, always glad to see new faces!

Nothing about buying this property is "practical" from just about any point of view imaginable. I still think if it were done the right way, a return on the investment could be realized, but it would take just the right touch in handling it, and most of all, it would probably take longer than most of us will live to just break even.
The biggest draw for me, would be to preserve the "memory" of the estate presented in the show, for as I have mentioned before, to me, the estate itself was nearly as much a "character" as any of the actors. The fact that it was also used in 50 before MPI, is just an added bonus. One of the other motivators (for me) would be to be able to make it available to people in the future who are fans of the show(s) to visit or become fans of the show, as I predict many will.

Selling time shares, vacation packages, tours, etc. shouldn't be a hard sell. People have been going to the islands for decades to visit "paradise", having the estate intact would be an added bonus, in my opinion. People are always looking for a good place to stay while in paradise. Again, it's not a practical move, but it could pay off in practical terms at some point in the future. Disneyland was once just a dream in Walt's head, right? I'm a little surprised that somebody from the show hasn't already snatched it up for themselves, Mr. Manetti comes to mind first, but it does support the belief that it's probably not a good investment, or at least, nobody see's it as one...yet. Doesn't Selleck have brothers and/or other family that are into real estate? There must be a reason, none of those who would be in a position to jump on it, haven't. I would think tour packages with an overnight or two (or even a week for a price) wouldn't be hard to sell.

I would think that at least some of the "Hollywood" crowd would be in line to reserve and pay for, vacation packages at Robins Nest. I've heard some pay absolutely outrageous amounts of money for island "get-a-ways" in other places. Handled correctly, this should meet with the same success, IMHO.

I, like many others just hate the thought of it being broken up into little plots with little vacation homes built, and essentially lost forever as the place that most represents the show and all the people associated with it. Once it's gone, it's gone. Another "tangent" that has occurred to me, is why couldn't somebody build a duplicate estate somewhere in a coastal city on the mainland? Wouldn't be the same, I know, and who doesn't want to visit Hawaii?

At any rate, there are some random, possibly rabid thoughts from a fan of the show, the cast, the island, sentimentality and nostalgia. I would very much still like to be able to visit at some point, and at least have a swim in the tidal pool, and a peek through the back gate. You're right, if I actually lived there, I don't think I'd want strangers always trying to sneak a peek, or actually trespass, but hey, that's what security (and those who oversee/maintain it) is for! :D

The guesthouse could be rebuilt, the main house can be renovated, the grounds brought back to beauty, it's only money! If I had the means, I'd already be there, and it would be underway! :magnum: :higgins:

Diandra
Captain

#1189 Post by Diandra »

We can only dream!!!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1190 Post by Steve »

CalHwy wrote:New to the group….I don't want to make even the smallest promise, but it has always been my dream to own this house.
I have been a huge 5O as well as Magnum fan.This isn't unobtainable for me- but would mean putting a lot of long term assets in one- questionable- very neglected property. I've read every entry in all 120 odd pages and haven't seen any posts from possible buyers- what do you guys think? Is this a dream that you really would want to come true?
Welcome to the forum CalHwy. I hope you decide to swing this as my guess is that an offer in the 6 million dollar range, the listing price for years, would take this.You already have the great advantage with knowing the realtor, having lived in the area and having hollywood connections which I would think would jump at the opportunity to film on the grounds again. Oh, and you have at least one member here that just hit 60, would gladly give up everything to move to Oahu and help with the rehab and security for not much more than room and board :magnum: . Good luck and thanks for the post that gives us fans of our "Mecca" some hope.............

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1191 Post by 308GUY »

Steve wrote: Welcome to the forum CalHwy. I hope you decide to swing this as my guess is that an offer in the 6 million dollar range, the listing price for years, would take this.You already have the great advantage with knowing the realtor, having lived in the area and having hollywood connections which I would think would jump at the opportunity to film on the grounds again. Oh, and you have at least one member here that just hit 60, would gladly give up everything to move to Oahu and help with the rehab and security for not much more than room and board :magnum: . Good luck and thanks for the post that gives us fans of our "Mecca" some hope.............
Well said Steve!

I also thought that an offer in the 5-6 range would probably cinch the deal.

Also, another vote for believing the potential for future film projects (Steve or Danno's new digs? Magnum revisited, movies, etc.) is more than real.

Make that at least two in the already hit 60 category...... :magnum:

CalHwy
Ensign

#1192 Post by CalHwy »

Hi Guys!
Thanks for making a new member feel so welcome. Nice to see there's no turf war going on between the two greatest series of all time (no names- both filmed in Hawaii). I corresponded with the people involved and can verify everything that has been said about the condition of the main house and guesthouse. I don't think the beach house was addressed. Trust me on this, the Realtor involved is by far the most respected professional of any I have ever dealt with at this level. I think it would make everyone that posts on this site feel good to know that she she knows it is a magnificent setting and the most beautiful property ever seen. You have to smile a little…..

Hoping to see the property this month.

Aloha

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1193 Post by 308GUY »

Sounds great! Please keep us posted on any new developments.

Good to know the transaction is in good hands. Just hope she doesn't hold out for "top" dollar because she knows what she does about the place.

As for the welcome, we try to make all newcomers feel like "one of the gang", that's how I was made to feel when I showed up, only right that everyone else be made to feel the same way.

Not to take anything away from any other members, new or not, but I can't think of any other member that was/would be more welcome than somebody who is in a position to rescue the estate, and has expressed an intent to investigate doing so further. :magnum:

ClayMannPi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1194 Post by ClayMannPi »

Aloha[/quote]
CalHwy wrote:Hi Guys!
Thanks for making a new member feel so welcome. Nice to see there's no turf war going on between the two greatest series of all time (no names- both filmed in Hawaii). I corresponded with the people involved and can verify everything that has been said about the condition of the main house and guesthouse. I don't think the beach house was addressed. Trust me on this, the Realtor involved is by far the most respected professional of any I have ever dealt with at this level. I think it would make everyone that posts on this site feel good to know that she she knows it is a magnificent setting and the most beautiful property ever seen. You have to smile a little…..

Aloha
This is exciting. I'm going to Hawaii in April for three days... so, CalHwy, I'm going to ask if you happen to make a specific purchase by then can I drop by;/

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#1195 Post by steveadl »

CalHwy wrote:Hi Guys!

Aloha
As Steve mentioned earlier - the one benefit you would definitely receive should you buy the place is a whole lot of free labour from all the fans that would love to get the chance to pitch in and help restore the buildings and grounds. A lot of free grunt work would definitely bring reno costs down somewhat, especially when it comes to projects such as the grounds which require a lot of labour, but not as much expertise.

I'd definitely offer my assistance next time I'm over there.

I've stayed fairly quiet on this sale topic as its great for fans to dream of what may/could be if another fan bought the place. With regard to the financial aspect of the property, as much as I would hope any buyer would allow fans such as ourselves entry - even of only a couple times a year on an organised and paid basis - I think the real value in this property would not lie with charging fans at hotel rates etc as this would involve permanent staff, administration etc and the headaches that would go along with that.

But let's look at it more realistically - the real money from restoring this property would rest with these two key business propositions:

1) Once restored, marketing it to the film studios again as a backdrop/setting for movies filmed on Honolulu, episodes of H50, any other show that films in Hawaii for an episode etc, as well as future TV shows developed in Hawaii. I've got no idea how much the current incarnation of H50 pays to use the luxury houses we see in scenes, but I'm sure it's not chicken feed.

2) A luxury rental for the rich. Once it's done up including extra luxury amenities inside and looks fantastic (the rich and famous aren't going to want to rent the place if it's '50s decor and amenities) - I'm sure you can start talking rates of multiple tens of thousands per week for a celeb to stay there with his entourage, or a rich family to have a secluded getaway from prying eyes.

These two proposals above work harmoniously together, and also afford the owner the joy of having the property to themselves whenever and however often they desire.

I think looked at it from this point of view, the land and buildings you're paying for with the $6M purchase price will only rise as property/land valued increase over time, as well as increase in value once the place is restored. The reno costs of lets say $2M (?) would be made up for with the likely resultant increase in value, and the property would then likely make a good ROI based on the yield provided by the two business avenues above.

That's just my take. Even selling all my properties wouldn't get me in the door for this listing :D