The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Tuan Vu
Captain

#31 Post by Tuan Vu »

Here's a great website with relatively recent (2002) photos, and a great forum about the Anderson Estate and how it related to the Magnum P.I. and Hawaii Five-O episodes:

http://www.pbase.com/goislands/2002_10_02_mpi_estate

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#32 Post by golfmobile »

James,

Haven't found a picture yet, but found this:

Original air date: 9/26/72

William Shatner hams his way through his role as Texas private investigator Sam Tolliver who visits Hawaii to help his friend Wallace Shuster (Bill Edwards) get free of an insidous blackmail scheme, but ends up wanting to get in on the operation himself. Shatner seems to be having a good time, overpronouncing words like "bid-ness" and "dee-vorce" with a thick accent. Marlow plays William Speer, boss of the blackmailers, and does a good job, but lacks a certain malevolent omnipresence which one might expect. McGarrett orders the Five-O crew to check "every company that uses telex communications." Tolliver uses a videotape machine to turn the tables on Larry Toba (Tom Fujiwara), one of the blackmailers, and there is mention of satellite technology. The script wraps up things a bit too quickly at the end. Tolliver's family are being held captive back in Texas by associates of Speer, but once the bad guys are captured, McGarrett merely throws the matter over to the Texas cops to deal with and the show ends! A "real" phone number -- 589-0589 -- is used. Interestingly, McGarrett and Tolliver meet only at the end and are never seen in the same shot! I wonder if the fact that Jack Lord was under consideration for Captain Kirk in Star Trek (until he asked for too much money) resulted in some kind of ill feelings between himself and Shatner?
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cool, thanks golf! I gotta see it!
I wonder if the fact that Jack Lord was under consideration for Captain Kirk in Star Trek (until he asked for too much money) resulted in some kind of ill feelings between himself and Shatner?
Somehow, I doubt it. In 1972, Star Trek was a failure, both commercially and critically. Shatner was virtually broke (at one time living out of an old camper) and was looking for any kind of work he could find! In 1972, Jack Lord towered over Shatner in terms of popularity.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

Check this out. My friend Pete sent me some screen caps of the two Season Two Hawaii Five-O episodes that feature the Anderson Estate. This would be circa 1969!

"Forty Feet High and It Kills!"

Gatehouse

From Balcony, looking north

"Sweet Terror"

McGarrett is entering the main house!

Another chopper on the lawn

The Estate

Pretty darn cool! :D

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#35 Post by IslandHopper »

Very cool James. Thanks.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Magnum92
Captain

#36 Post by Magnum92 »

Great pictures James. Thank your friend for me!
Magnum: So far this case had cost me my right to the wine cellar, the last cash in my pocket, and nearly my life. If that clerk was lying to me, I was gonna come back down here and shove that Robin Masters paperback in his ear!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Danno »

Wow... the lawns have been neat and tidy there for a long time.
How bizarre to see it as a pre-Magnum location... looking pretty much the same...
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#38 Post by J.J. Walters »

Here's a couple more...

"Forty Feet High and It Kills!"

Main House Kitchen

"Sweet Terror"

Boathouse (the scene features a "tracking shot" that shows the owner entering the boathouse from the ground level!)

Main House entrance (note the stairs to the left of the door - In Magnum, the stairs were seen on the right)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#39 Post by golfmobile »

In the eleven years between these shots and MPI, it does appear to me to have deteriorated somewhat, particularly the driveway. Here the driveway appears to have almost a curb, or at least a cutoff point between the lane and the road. No such thing in Magnum. Must have been a lot of traffic running over the edges during that 10-11 years!

And a lot more of the building(s) are seen in these shots. I never really had a good feel for all the attached buildings in MPI that are shown here. But that could have just been my lack of attention.

But it must be hard (and expensive) for an elderly lady to keep up with all that needs upkeep on all these structures. Still . . . it seems a bit lax to me.

But, still, VERY interesting to see!! Be sure and thank Pete for all of us.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Steve »

Is that a dock or some type of fence I see on the far edge of the tidal pool in the second shot? That structure was certainly gone by the time of Magnum........

Steve
Chicago

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#41 Post by golfmobile »

Steve,

I noticed that too and meant to mention it. Glad you put in the question -- I forgot!

Eager to hear any input?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, it's definitely a pier of some sort. Maybe a fishing pier? In one of the screens, you can see someone walking on it in the background.

I got two more screens, both from "Sweet Terror". These are the last ones. The first one is neat, because you can actually see the boathouse/guesthouse from the main house, something very rarely seen in Magnum!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#43 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:

Great pictures James. The second picture from the balcony is one we don't see much in MPI. The only episode I can remember where we see a scene actually take place on the balcony is in "Eighth Part Of The Village" where Magnum, Higgins and the sister posing as Asani are sitting on the balcony. We see them from inside the house looking out over the grounds. It is a great view. I don't know why that balcony area wasn't used more, other than seeing Higgins standing there looking down on the grounds.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

grundle
Admiral

#44 Post by grundle »

On Friday RTN played a season 4 episode of Hawaii Five-O called, "Cloth Of Gold." Most of it took place at the estate. They also showed the Valley Of The Temple, and the pier where T.C. keeps his chopper.

Or am I wrong about all of this, and I just saw what I wanted to see?

Is anyone here familiar with that episode?

foggydayz
Commander

#45 Post by foggydayz »

James J. Walters wrote:
The first one is neat, because you can actually see the boathouse/guesthouse from the main house, something very rarely seen in Magnum!
god thats gorgeous