The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1431 Post by KENJI »

308GUY wrote:
rcurreyjr wrote:Read here a lot but have never posted. Got a chance to visit a week ago and took a few pictures. Not really anything new but I thought I would share.

Rich Currey
Great pics Rich!

Thanks! for taking the time and effort to share.

Does look like something's going on behind the boathouse, but not sure it's digging....kinda looks like the tide had it's way with the shore a time or two.

Time reveals all...."waiting IS"-(From "Stranger in a Strange Land".....Michael Smith quote.) :magnum:
Hi 308GUY,

I was looking at the ground right behind the boathouse, not on the tidal pool side. It looks as though they may have removed a tree or turned over some dirt/sand. I'll take a look again at Rich's pics.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1432 Post by KENJI »

I took a look again and I think they may have ripped out some ground cover OR it died due to the waves coming over what's left of that section of the wall.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1433 Post by 308GUY »

KENJI wrote:I took a look again and I think they may have ripped out some ground cover OR it died due to the waves coming over what's left of that section of the wall.

Hi KENJI...that sounds/looks like a reasonable conclusion based on the pic.

Would probably be best to review some older pics from the same vantage point and compare them with Rich's new one, side by side to make a more informed observation.

Kind of in the same category as the concrete pad in the tidal pool.....one of those things we may never know all the facts about.

Kind of a non-issue for me, as I said, not sure of anything, having never been there myself.

Hopefully, there will be renovations all over the entire estate, but none that destroy what we've come to know and love as "Robins Nest", just refurbishing all of it to it's original magnificence. 8)

Fun to discuss though! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1434 Post by KENJI »

308GUY wrote:
KENJI wrote:I took a look again and I think they may have ripped out some ground cover OR it died due to the waves coming over what's left of that section of the wall.

Hi KENJI...that sounds/looks like a reasonable conclusion based on the pic.

Would probably be best to review some older pics from the same vantage point and compare them with Rich's new one, side by side to make a more informed observation.

Kind of in the same category as the concrete pad in the tidal pool.....one of those things we may never know all the facts about.

Kind of a non-issue for me, as I said, not sure of anything, having never been there myself.

Hopefully, there will be renovations all over the entire estate, but none that destroy what we've come to know and love as "Robins Nest", just refurbishing all of it to it's original magnificence. 8)

Fun to discuss though! :magnum:
Hi again 308GUY,

Too funny, I did look at some old pics and that's how I came up with the ground cover.....Pahonu is always fun to discuss.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1435 Post by Steve »

Nesbitt, MERK, or whomever needs to get to work. It's looking like they bought an 8 million dollar tidal pool with a $700,000 jungle behind it.......

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#1436 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Hi guys and gals,

I was wondering if any of you had made any more progress on the Grossman family tree? I started looking into this last year but I have since put this on the backburner

On August 10 at 5:28 PM UTC I received the following message
We are searching worldwide for any diaries, journals, photos, film, or material from the 1929 Round the Pacific Tour aboard the SS Malolo. Eva Grossman was a passenger aboard this ship. Any descendant who can assist us with the production of our film documentary regarding this important tour should contact Rick Helin - Historian for the California Pioneers of Santa Clara County at (408) 859-4873 OR rickhelin@aol.com
Is it the same Eva? I'm assuming so.

46_James
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1437 Post by 46_James »

I'm going to Oahu in March 2016, as a long time Magnum fan, I am so happy and excited that I'll make a trip to the Estate's turtle pool, lots of planning to do.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1438 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome 46_James! 8) (Even though you've been here since May... :) )

We are happy and excited for you (I know I am! :D)

Make sure your camera is in good working order. :wink:

I, for one, am very anxious to hear/see any new reports or information on the status of the estate since the change in ownership. We all know somethings been going on, but there just doesn't seem to be any new info made available yet, so like I said, very anxious and interested to hear anything concerning recent developments.

Don't forget to check the tide times before you start the trek to the tidal pool.

I don't know from experience, but the general consensus of those who do is, if you don't go at low tide, it will be a very hard, if not impossible trip.

I've gathered that the best approach is from Sea Life Park to the north from Pahonu, but again, I've not been, so can't say first hand. Just parroting what I've seen/read of others journeys.
I'm sure sooner or later, there will a few who have been there pop in to wish you well and offer advice from their personal experience.

At any rate, congratulations and good luck. Can't wait to see/hear your report/photo spread when you get back. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1439 Post by Steve »

308GUY is correct, check the tide charts before you go as the beach walk is under water at high tide. There is a small parking lot at Kaiona Beach Park just north from The Estate. If you go during the week you should have no problem finding a parking spot and walking south along the beach past a couple of houses, the Shriners Beach Club and wala the Tidal Pool and our mecca is upon you. Can't wait to read about your experience...........

KailuaKid
Ensign

#1440 Post by KailuaKid »

My name is Rick Helin and I am the one producing a feature documentary on the first Pan-Pacific Cruise aboard the SS Malolo in 1929. The passenger manifest is a virtual 'who's who' for its time. Locally, there were many notable Big Five family members aboard, including Baldwins, Athertons, Wilcox, Guards, etc.

Among the' lesser known' local names among the 350+ passengers were 17 year old Eva Reed Grossman and Ordman and Julia Wall.

I am searching for someone who can outline for us a clear outline of the relationships between the Wall/Grossman/Glover/Anderson/Cox names. Also, which descendants we might be able to contact who would have the greatest possibility of being the caretaker of any memorabilia relating to this trip. We are searching for 'first person accounts' via diaries, journals, photo albums...

If anyone can assist us in this effort, please contact me care of the California Pioneers of Santa Clara County... Rick Helin/Historian - Film Preservationist (408) 859-4873 or email at rickhelin@aol.com

Mahalo nui

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

#1441 Post by ConchRepublican »

I tripped over this strolling around the internets . . .

From the White House:

The Final Hawaii Trip as POTUS
President Obama’s 2015 Hawaii trip will be his last Christmas vacation in Hawaii as President. He plans to break tradition next year in 2016 and spend his final Christmas in office at the White House, surrounded by family and friends. After leaving office, President Obama looks forward to returning to Hawaii as a private citizen to continue his annual tradition in a new vacation home recently “purchased by a friend”.

Emphasis added by me.

I think we have an idea where he's talking about.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#1442 Post by golfmobile »

Please . . . . no.
"Portside, buddy."

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#1443 Post by ConchRepublican »

I slid these two posts over to the more appropriate thread
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1444 Post by Pahonu »

golfmobile wrote:Please . . . . no.
Why no? That's the best indication we've had that it is intended to remain a home, rather than being torn down and subdivided. I don't care about the politics of who visits or owns an architectural landmark like Pahonu. As long as it's not destroyed, I couldn't be happier. Enjoy, Mr. Nesbitt, President Obama, or whoever will maintain the integrity of this property!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1445 Post by Steve »

I knew it......I just hope this doesn't create any headaches for those of us trying to access the tidal pool.......

Found this piece with a tad more info.At least he is getting into the paradise spirit, heck he may even have been prancing around in a jungle bird shirt on Fridays..........
http://beforeitsnews.com/prophecy/2015/ ... 75410.html