The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#41 Post by golfmobile »

Steve,

I noticed that too and meant to mention it. Glad you put in the question -- I forgot!

Eager to hear any input?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, it's definitely a pier of some sort. Maybe a fishing pier? In one of the screens, you can see someone walking on it in the background.

I got two more screens, both from "Sweet Terror". These are the last ones. The first one is neat, because you can actually see the boathouse/guesthouse from the main house, something very rarely seen in Magnum!

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#43 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:

Great pictures James. The second picture from the balcony is one we don't see much in MPI. The only episode I can remember where we see a scene actually take place on the balcony is in "Eighth Part Of The Village" where Magnum, Higgins and the sister posing as Asani are sitting on the balcony. We see them from inside the house looking out over the grounds. It is a great view. I don't know why that balcony area wasn't used more, other than seeing Higgins standing there looking down on the grounds.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

grundle
Admiral

#44 Post by grundle »

On Friday RTN played a season 4 episode of Hawaii Five-O called, "Cloth Of Gold." Most of it took place at the estate. They also showed the Valley Of The Temple, and the pier where T.C. keeps his chopper.

Or am I wrong about all of this, and I just saw what I wanted to see?

Is anyone here familiar with that episode?

foggydayz
Commander

#45 Post by foggydayz »

James J. Walters wrote:
The first one is neat, because you can actually see the boathouse/guesthouse from the main house, something very rarely seen in Magnum!
god thats gorgeous

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Sam »

Thanks James and Pete for the caps.

Is it just me or do the grounds look better in HFO vs MPI?

James..in the first set of caps,you have a cap labeled "McGarett is entering the main house".This may be confusing to some..The double doors are actually the doors from the driveway side of the estate that lead to the actual main door.
During the filming of MPI,those doors were depicted as an entry into the house with the stairs to the right.

The doors to the main house,as well as the upstairs bedrooms are pocket doors.

Thanks again James and Pete.
Last edited by Sam on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Sam »

James J. Walters wrote:If anyone gets a chance to get a screen cap (or better yet, a video clip) of William Shatner (as Texas P.I. Sam Tolliver) running loose on the estate in H50's "You Don't Have to Kill to Get Rich, But It Helps" (S5), please do so! I simply MUST see this!
James..I'll keep an eye out for this episode and get you a copy.

It is not scheduled for anytime in the next two weeks.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#48 Post by J.J. Walters »

grundle wrote:On Friday RTN played a season 4 episode of Hawaii Five-O called, "Cloth Of Gold." Most of it took place at the estate. They also showed the Valley Of The Temple, and the pier where T.C. keeps his chopper.
Oh, cool! So that makes six HFO episodes (that we know about) to feature the Anderson Estate! :shock:

Sam, thanks for the offer, but you don't need to make me a copy. Now that HFO is finally starting to roll out the DVDs, I'm more than likely going to start purchasing them. ;)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#49 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam wrote:James..in the first set of caps,you have a cap labeled "McGarettis entering the main house".This maybe confusing to some..The double doors are actually the doors from the driveway side of the estate that lead to the actual main door.
During the filming of MPI,those doors were depicted as an entry into the house with the stairs to the right.

The doors to the main house,as well as the upstairs bedrooms are pocket doors.
Sam, I'm a little confused by this. So, the double-doors off of the driveway actually lead to a vestibule (or foyer) of some sort? And there is another set of doors from inside the vestibule that lead into the main rooms of the house? And there are stairs (to the right) in the vestibule, and stairs (to the left) just inside the main room of the house?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Sam »

Sam, I'm a little confused by this. So, the double-doors off of the driveway actually lead to a vestibule (or foyer) of some sort? And there is another set of doors from inside the vestibule that lead into the main rooms of the house? And there are stairs (to the right) in the vestibule, and stairs (to the left) just inside the main room of the house?

James,The double-doors from the driveway lead to the front door.I think there are one or two steps up with a walkway under the balcony to the front door.I believe there is a door to the right and left just beyond the double-door..Right door into the house.Left door to the front small wing.The small wing is separated from the house by the walkway.

In MPI,it only appeared that the double-doors led to the inside.So there is no foyer and no stairs to the right.

There is a long shot from the Main door (front door) to the double-doors (driveway) in "Sweet Terror" that shows the layout..Maybe Pete can cap that.

There is an episode or two of MPI where you can see the balcony pillars through the double-doors.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#51 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, I see that now Sam! Funny, of all the times I've seen the main house, I never really noticed that foyer/vestibule (whatever it's called) part before! That just makes me want to have that house even more (and I didn't think that was humanly possible)! :)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#52 Post by golfmobile »

Ah, James,

But would your family willingly move over there with you?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

grundle
Admiral

#53 Post by grundle »

James J. Walters wrote:
grundle wrote:On Friday RTN played a season 4 episode of Hawaii Five-O called, "Cloth Of Gold." Most of it took place at the estate. They also showed the Valley Of The Temple, and the pier where T.C. keeps his chopper.
Oh, cool! So that makes six HFO episodes (that we know about) to feature the Anderson Estate! :shock:

Well, I did say I wasn't 100% sure. Someone else will have to verify it.

Also, I just remebered it was Saturday, not Friday!

grundle
Admiral

#54 Post by grundle »

Someone from another Magnum P.I. message board just verified that I was indeed correct:

http://z8.invisionfree.com/VMO2_DA_NANG ... topic=1097

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#55 Post by rubber chicken »

I actually got both of these episodes from the library and took a ton of screenshots which I was going to post, but then saw these already here. Thanks to Pete for his work. :)

Both come in the same dvd case, which is convenient - season 2, discs 1 & 2.
Forty Feet High and it Kills! - (2.3)
Sweet Terror - (2.7)

A couple things I thought I'd note after reading through the thread.
1. The tennis court has not been built yet.
2. The interior of the boathouse in Sweet Terror is actually a set, from what I've seen.
3. There is indeed a dock which was no longer there when Magnum P.I. started 11 years later.
4. The kitchen does seem to be from the actual Anderson Estate. At first I was thinking not, but you can see the outside wall through the window (I always wondered how that worked) which is a detail I wouldn't think set designers would take the time to create. It simply looks like a real kitchen too, not something built for TV. And it's only used for a few seconds in the show, so obviously they wouldn't create something just for that.

Here's a few more pictures to illustrate (I hope there's not too many, and a few are repeats of what's been shown):

Picnic tables in the distance where the tennis court should be. Also a nice shot of the "guesthouse" in the distance. The grass seems to be more green in Hawaii Five-0 - maybe just the film or time of year?

The first picture is supposed to be inside the boathouse. But notice the floor is finished. In the second picture you can see the floor is actually sand. It's the same doorway that's being shown in both pictures. You can also see the seldom photographed stairs in the second picture.

The dock in the distance
That's a young Soon-Tek Oh from the following episodes of Magnum P.I.
- Memories Are Forever: Part 1 - (2.5) .... General Nguyen Hue
- Memories Are Forever: Part 2 - (2.6) .... General Nguyen Hue
- Two Birds of a Feather - (3.20) .... Sato
- Kiss of the Sabre - (5.11) .... Dr. Bill Su/Dr. Ling
- Little Girl Who - (7.7) .... North Vietnamese General Nguyen Hue
He's also the Sensei in Beverly Hills Ninja :lol:

The kitchen

And here you can see the way to get to the actual front door of the Anderson Estate, with pictures taken in order

And now inside the real front door with the courtyard in the background. (You can even see the "guesthouse" in the background of the second picture.)

So the true front door to the Anderson Estate appears to be the one which is centered overlooking the courtyard. (To the left in this picture.)
Last edited by rubber chicken on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.