The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eltonsean
Captain

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1201 Post by eltonsean »

Pahonu wrote:
eltonsean wrote:well, to help with the problem of people "looking in" on the property, you could always hire someone to take care of security around the grounds. It could be a nice part-time job for someone who has another main source of income. you could even let them live... I don't know... maybe in the guest house or something? How's that for an idea??
You can't really keep people from looking very easily, because it is a public beach, according to state law. The property extends only to the mean high tide line, so basically any sand that gets wet is public, and of course the water in the tidal pool as well.
Sorry, Pahonu I was attempting to make a Magnum P.I. joke :magnum:
"Living well is the best revenge".

AdamSkating
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1202 Post by AdamSkating »

Pahonu wrote:
eltonsean wrote:well, to help with the problem of people "looking in" on the property, you could always hire someone to take care of security around the grounds. It could be a nice part-time job for someone who has another main source of income. you could even let them live... I don't know... maybe in the guest house or something? How's that for an idea??
You can't really keep people from looking very easily, because it is a public beach, according to state law. The property extends only to the mean high tide line, so basically any sand that gets wet is public, and of course the water in the tidal pool as well.
True, its is a good thing that beaches are public too, im just saying if a developer gets ahold of it and chops it up, we are going to be looking back on the days the Anderson estate left it messy. I really hope an investor comes by and buys this great piece of property for its history. I love watching the series and long for the day im back be in Hawaii again to see it. I was there in 1980 on vacation as a kid , 17 years old. I remember the wonder of flying to a land that was so much different than the midwest. Wow! very different. Funny, i was there in Oahu about the same time they started filming the series, march 1980. I wonder if I saw some of it, but did not know anything about it at the time. We stayed on Waikiki beach. Clips from "China Doll" took place on that beach.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1203 Post by Pahonu »

eltonsean wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Sorry, Pahonu I was attempting to make a Magnum P.I. joke :magnum:
No need to apologize!

Have you gotten a chance to look at my SketchUp model of the estate?

It's a free download, and then you can cruise around the estate in 3D.

eltonsean
Captain

#1204 Post by eltonsean »

Pahonu wrote:
Have you gotten a chance to look at my SketchUp model of the estate?

It's a free download, and then you can cruise around the estate in 3D.
Where is this 3D sketchup model?

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#1205 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#1206 Post by erock308 »

Amazing 1080p HD Video of the Estate!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs65AP9osXk
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1207 Post by Steve »

erock308 wrote:Amazing 1080p HD Video of the Estate!
Great video, I wonder if it was done with a drone. It is so nice that the ugly blue tarp that was hanging off the roof for years is finally gone for the sale..............

eltonsean
Captain

#1208 Post by eltonsean »

Steve wrote:
Great video, I wonder if it was done with a drone. It is so nice that the ugly blue tarp that was hanging off the roof for years is finally gone for the sale..............
Awesome video!!! This was indeed filmed with a drone. the DJI Phantom 2 drone. http://www.dji.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... elease.jpg

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#1209 Post by Lily »

In all truthfulness, this video makes the condition of the estate look in a lot better shape than it really is. Guess that is pretty obvious, since it hasn't sold despite the asking price being reduced so drastically.

Leaving in a couple of weeks for the islands but will be the first time I wont be spending time on Oahu, so cant check out any new developments at the estate. Anyone planning on visiting Oahu this year?

Whatever has happened to the two people who posted on here, saying they were interested in buying the estate???? Find it rather strange when people post something like this, yet nothing ever comes of it. Guess it is just lovely to dream!

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#1210 Post by Mr. Greene »

Great video. I have to go check my lottery tickets so I can buy the estate and write my memoirs.

CalHwy
Ensign

#1211 Post by CalHwy »

The asking price of the estate has been reduced again to $7.8 million. At this price the property will sell quickly. I'm sure this will bring out developers interested in cutting it up. Let's all hope it ends in the hands of someone who will try and keep it whole and restore it! The good guy does win every once in a while! :D

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1212 Post by 308GUY »

CalHwy wrote:Hi Guys!
Thanks for making a new member feel so welcome. Nice to see there's no turf war going on between the two greatest series of all time (no names- both filmed in Hawaii). I corresponded with the people involved and can verify everything that has been said about the condition of the main house and guesthouse. I don't think the beach house was addressed. Trust me on this, the Realtor involved is by far the most respected professional of any I have ever dealt with at this level. I think it would make everyone that posts on this site feel good to know that she she knows it is a magnificent setting and the most beautiful property ever seen. You have to smile a little…..

Hoping to see the property this month.

Aloha
I saw the listing had the price reduced to the $7.8 figure, and you have confirmed it in your most recent post.

I'm sure everyone is wondering if you were able to follow through on your tentative plans to see the property and/or get together with the realtor last month.

Nobody here wants to see it split up into little vacation plots, but would much rather it be preserved (after renovation) for this and future generations to appreciate as "Robin's Nest" and possibly an exclusive "get-a-way" for the rich and famous, or at least those with the means and inclination to vacation in "style", since they would be doing it regardless, just somewhere else unless the estate were made available. Also, the potential for lease/rental to future film endeavors seems like more than just a pipedream.

Hard to understand, at one level, why Universal Studio's hasn't shown any interest, given the history they've had with it and their propensity toward making money! :D As I've said previously, I'm surprised Manetti, or Selleck himself, or anybody with the means who's had an association with the property, has shown no interest what-so-ever, must be something the general public is not being made aware of. I don't pretend to know what motivates anybody with funds enough to move on something like this, but it just seems that somebody that could....would! :magnum: Doesn't Carol Burnett have a home on the islands? Ms. Winfrey......anybody? Richard Alpert (Baba Ram Dass) is purported to live on Maui, maybe his foundation could use it? Just seems like something could/should be done to keep it intact, but I'm sure most of that feeling is my own "attachment" to the nostalgia associated with it for me, but again, I don't think I'm alone.

I for one, and I'm sure I'm not alone, would appreciate any additional info you may have or acquire in the future.

Thanks for posting what you have thus far, hopefully we will see more in the coming days. :magnum:
Last edited by 308GUY on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#1213 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Great video! I would have liked to seen more close ups, but I assume there are privacy guidelines for drone filming.

This sort of video (and this thread), however, underscores the obvious reason no wealthy person will invest in the property as their own private "get away." There are many other fabulous properties in Hawaii and elsewhere that won't come along with the baggage of people like me peeping over the fence for a look at what colour I've painted the front door! Bed and breakfast would be awesome, but there's no way you could charge enough to make it profitable. Meditation retreat? It's very hard to see the property being a good investment in its current state.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#1214 Post by No need to know! »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Great video! I would have liked to seen more close ups, but I assume there are privacy guidelines for drone filming.

This sort of video (and this thread), however, underscores the obvious reason no wealthy person will invest in the property as their own private "get away." There are many other fabulous properties in Hawaii and elsewhere that won't come along with the baggage of people like me peeping over the fence for a look at what colour I've painted the front door! Bed and breakfast would be awesome, but there's no way you could charge enough to make it profitable. Meditation retreat? It's very hard to see the property being a good investment in its current state.
Sad to say. But i think you are spot on. If you are filthy rich and wants to have a stunning estate in Hawaii you probably wont choose the Anderson Estate cause he/she wouldn´t be left alone.
I see two chances of it being saved. Some old fan like us who has the pesos. The other chance is if some movie company buys it.
Onion´s extra?

AdamSkating
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1215 Post by AdamSkating »

Is there any way we can get HI to add this as historical estate and thus, can not cut it up? Signing petition seems to be the way things get done these days. This is the only way to save it. It would add value to the estate, but also bring a set of rules where new owner could not chop it up.

A wealthy B&B would bring in huge income, as well as "movie set" income. The B&B wealthy would also LIKE everyone trying to see in, they can then pretend they are Magnum, HA Ha Ha. The whole thing would work perfectly.

"One of the gardeners developed hysterical amnesia when Mad Buck attempted to jump the fountain with Robins rolls royce "