The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1561 Post by 308GTS »

Awesome pics!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#1562 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Just a short update from our Sep 19 visit ( during high tide and choppy waves)
I have no pics as I am on a cruiseship with limited internet access.

The boat house is in even worse shape like before. You can see metal bars reaching the public beach area at the ground. The tennis court is well visible, but the main house is very difficult to see, even from the waterside as a lot of uncut laurel is now blocking the view.

The wall is in similar bad shape like last year, sand has built up to approx. 70 cm below the wall top.
There is a new black fence around he estate with lots of signs warung to enter and pointing at security cameras.

Main gate unchanged but closed.

Pics will follow.

Met a fellow US Magnum PI fan and had some intensive chat with him. Hope to welcome him soon on MMAnia.

Kind regards from somewhere in the South Pacific

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1563 Post by 308GUY »

Thanks for the update BT.

Sad to hear a report like that concerning the estate, but it's not like it's happened over night.

Have to wonder what Mr. Nesbitt has in mind, or is doing, seeing how they DID put up a new fence.

As I recall, the roof on the main house has been repaired/replaced in the somewhat "recent" past as well, so it would APPEAR that raizing it is NOT in the plans....but not for any of us to say.

Enjoy the remainder of your excursion and know, that we will be anxiously awaiting your posting of new pics! 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#1564 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Just a short update from our Sep 19 visit ( during high tide and choppy waves)
I have no pics as I am on a cruiseship with limited internet access.

The boat house is in even worse shape like before. You can see metal bars reaching the public beach area at the ground. The tennis court is well visible, but the main house is very difficult to see, even from the waterside as a lot of uncut laurel is now blocking the view.

The wall is in similar bad shape like last year, sand has built up to approx. 70 cm below the wall top.
There is a new black fence around he estate with lots of signs warung to enter and pointing at security cameras.

Main gate unchanged but closed.

Pics will follow.

Met a fellow US Magnum PI fan and had some intensive chat with him. Hope to welcome him soon on MMAnia.

Kind regards from somewhere in the South Pacific
Thanks for the update Bond. Enjoy the tropical breeze. I'm envious.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Fat Jack
Captain

#1565 Post by Fat Jack »

Sam wrote:Rumor Persists that Obamas Will Live in Magnum PI Estate Post White House

Having been on Oahu for over a month, I have to say the locals I’ve chatted with firmly believe it’s all a smokescreen and that the Obama family will be the next residents of the Anderson Estate (no relation, more’s the pity).

http://candysdirt.com/2015/12/30/rumor- ... /#comments

The article was posted in December.
Haven't been on MM for quite some time so just catching up...did anyone else notice that she mentions A BALLROOM?! Could that be the single story ell room that we've been assuming is some sort of living room (Woe to Wo Fat & Vega$). The dimensions would be more fitting of a ballroom than a living room, right?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#1566 Post by golfmobile »

I'm not sure how much we can rely on the information in that article. The author says there is a "full apartment in the boat house," and we know that is inaccurate (don't we?). That boathouse is about the size of a single-car garage and barely even two stories. The porch of the boat house is about the only thing about it that is spacious and possibly in good condition (based on my understanding, but I could be mistakenly remembering condition/size). Still, it's NOTHING like the apartment shown in the TV show. If the author of that article is basing his information about an apartment in the boathouse based on the layout of Magnum's apartment from the TV show, he hasn't done his research very well. JMO. Thoughts?
"Portside, buddy."

Fat Jack
Captain

#1567 Post by Fat Jack »

Agreed, she may or may not have all of the facts straight. But if you think about it...how many living rooms have mirrors on the walls? Ballrooms, yes, they have mirrors on the walls. Plus the candelabras on the wall...again, more indicative of a ballroom. It's also fitting for the period Pahonu was built, and wealthy families had ballrooms for entertaining. Just something to consider.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#1568 Post by ConchRepublican »

Fat Jack wrote:Agreed, she may or may not have all of the facts straight. But if you think about it...how many living rooms have mirrors on the walls? Ballrooms, yes, they have mirrors on the walls. Plus the candelabras on the wall...again, more indicative of a ballroom. It's also fitting for the period Pahonu was built, and wealthy families had ballrooms for entertaining. Just something to consider.
Well, not sure about living rooms, but I know Digger was intrigued about mirrors in Robin's bedroom. :)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#1569 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Thanks for the update Bond. Enjoy the tropical breeze. I'm envious.
Thanks, Styles - doing my best that this is not turning out to be a Tropical Madness :higgins:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1570 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

A couple years ago Sam turned me onto this gentleman's flickr photostream (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kamaaina56/albums). He grew up in Honolulu in the '50s & '60s and he describes his photostream as a "collection of postcards, photos, slides, and other ephemera from the last decade or so of the Territorial Era that ended when Hawaii became the 50th state on August 21, 1959. Most of the photos in this collection are from the post World War II territorial era - between 1945 and 1959 - but several outside that time frame are included for historical perspective."

As Kenji and I were looking through his photos recently, we discovered he has photos of the old pier built by the Waimanalo Sugar Company. What's cool is that they were taken from Kaiona Beach, which is of course a different vantage point than what has been posted from screen shots from the Estate. I told him about MM and he gave me permission to post/link to the photos:

This one was taken c. 1952:

This one was taken in 1955:

By the way, anyone with an interest in that era in Hawaii will be thrilled viewing his collection!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#1571 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I apologize for the delay - here is the Pahonu Status as for September 19th 2016:
At the front gate, there are signs warning for camera surveillance

the view from the gate inside is pretty good

the boathouse appears in worse shape than ever - particularly the open metal rails are really dangerous to everybody walking alongside of the beach.

the sand came pretty well back but the sea wall itself is in bad shape

There was a very good view on the tennis court and to the rear of the gatehouse - wonder if that Toyota bnelonged to Mrs. Anderson and how long it's standing there:

Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#1572 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Rabbit island:

KKC beach bar 1:

Magnum's jogging track:

KKC Beach Bar 2:

Terrace from "Echoes of the mind"

"That little island"

vallim
Ensign

#1573 Post by vallim »

Thank you for photos.
Wesley - Brasil

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1574 Post by 308GUY »

Great pics BT.....thanks for taking the time and effort to post them for the rest of us to see.

Other than the new fence, don't see much evidence of renovations being done around the grounds.

Maybe they are concentrating on the interior of the main house?

Course, I probably wouldn't recognise much in the way of changes unless they were major, or blatently obvious.

Man, that boat house looks pretty bad.

I thought the foilage in front of the gate house had been pretty well cleared at some point...doesn't look like it in the pic.

I've got that same "tent-garage" out at my shop, comes in handy at times!

Anyway, thanks again for sharing! :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1575 Post by Steve »

Anyone else seeing the boat house made into the ultimate tiki bar complete with a trickling waterfall going into the tidal pool............Come on Marty, Mr. President, or whoever bought it, let's get to work!