The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Diandra
Captain

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1161 Post by Diandra »

KENJI wrote:Here are a few more of my pics......another shot of the sign from a different angle....

A terrible shot of the Paradise Helicopter flying above Pahonu...it was an unexpected rushed shot using a phone....still neat to see above the place.

I thought this was a great shot of the locals enjoying their "backyard".....later they had a bunch of outriggers out there paddling by Pahonu.

The tide was in at that time.....it was a shame to see graffiti on the wall!!! Note: the stairs were visible that day.

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting these photos! It IS a shame that there is grafitti on the wall.

Duke
Ensign

#1162 Post by Duke »

The price is coming down, and be certain that there are developers watching that. When I spoke to the realtor last March, she made it clear that the property could and likely would be subdivided into up to three separate lots...however, she explained that in doing so, there would be significant legal issues with which to contend.

For me, I would buy it, knock down everything except the gatehouse, and go back with a new sea wall, better/higher perimeter walls, a guest house IDENTICAL to the interior magnum pad from the series (expanded to proportionate size) with a boat/toy garage under the upper deck, and a new main house in the same Spanish-revival style, but upgraded to modern code, ceiling height, and accoutrements, with a full, finished out basement. I would angle it to capture the ocean views, add a helipad where the tennis/basketball court is, and, of course, an infinity pool/hot tub facing Rabbit Island.

Everyone I know who's lived on Oahu (Military or otherwise) says that Hawaii is a great place to visit, for a week or two, but they ALL say they ended up hating living there. They say that everything costs too much, that there is a deep sense of loneliness that overcomes you after about the 4th week there, that all those planes full of tourists leave in 7 days upon arriving (you're not going to make real friends or meet your one, true love), and that while your friends from back home all tell you they're coming to visit, they never actually do. They won't come because of the cost of the plane tickets, and because (wherever you are living), there isn't ever going to be enough space for them to comfortably stay with you for more than a few days. They also say that it is almost impossible to raise a family there, in any way similar to life on the mainland.

Therefore, a house like Pahonu, would almost have to be a "part-of-the-year" residence. And, even then, only for someone with enough liquid cash to renovate the place, and pay to keep it up, year-round, all the while knowing they won't be there very much (like the FICTIONAL Robin Masters). Unfortunately, the price will have to drop a WHOLE lot more to keep me interested. My experience with high-end real estate is that by the time the price does drop to the right place for me, another 2-4 million, the legal work will already be finished to chop it up into smaller parcels and those lots will already be pre-sold. All of those transactions will then happen in about two days time.

I love the show, the Magnum-Mania site, and this blog. Keep it up, I'll try to check back in.

Duke

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1163 Post by 308GUY »

Duke:
Love the sounds of your plan! :D

Would be great if you end up with it and follow through.

I still think somebody from the show should buy it, or Universal or whoever runs/owns the existing studios that are being used today for things like H50.

A little money could be made by offering vacation packages to fans to stay there for a few days or a week, or whatever, or maybe even time-share plans for the "rich and famous"! :lol:

Somebody else mentioned that they wouldn't be surprised if MPI was redone after the currently running H50 runs it's course, repeating the pattern from the 70's-80's, using the facilities that already exist to full advantage. My understanding is that's in part what happened that helped make MPI happen in the first place.

At any rate, thanks for posting, very interesting to hear/see somebody's take on the situation that actually is closer to "high finance" than I and I'm guessing most others here, will ever be.

Keep us posted with any new developments/insights! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#1164 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Duke wrote:The price is coming down, and be certain that there are developers watching that. When I spoke to the realtor last March, she made it clear that the property could and likely would be subdivided into up to three separate lots...however, she explained that in doing so, there would be significant legal issues with which to contend.

For me, I would buy it, knock down everything except the gatehouse, and go back with a new sea wall, better/higher perimeter walls, a guest house IDENTICAL to the interior magnum pad from the series (expanded to proportionate size) with a boat/toy garage under the upper deck, and a new main house in the same Spanish-revival style, but upgraded to modern code, ceiling height, and accoutrements, with a full, finished out basement. I would angle it to capture the ocean views, add a helipad where the tennis/basketball court is, and, of course, an infinity pool/hot tub facing Rabbit Island.

Everyone I know who's lived on Oahu (Military or otherwise) says that Hawaii is a great place to visit, for a week or two, but they ALL say they ended up hating living there. They say that everything costs too much, that there is a deep sense of loneliness that overcomes you after about the 4th week there, that all those planes full of tourists leave in 7 days upon arriving (you're not going to make real friends or meet your one, true love), and that while your friends from back home all tell you they're coming to visit, they never actually do. They won't come because of the cost of the plane tickets, and because (wherever you are living), there isn't ever going to be enough space for them to comfortably stay with you for more than a few days. They also say that it is almost impossible to raise a family there, in any way similar to life on the mainland.

Therefore, a house like Pahonu, would almost have to be a "part-of-the-year" residence. And, even then, only for someone with enough liquid cash to renovate the place, and pay to keep it up, year-round, all the while knowing they won't be there very much (like the FICTIONAL Robin Masters). Unfortunately, the price will have to drop a WHOLE lot more to keep me interested. My experience with high-end real estate is that by the time the price does drop to the right place for me, another 2-4 million, the legal work will already be finished to chop it up into smaller parcels and those lots will already be pre-sold. All of those transactions will then happen in about two days time.

I love the show, the Magnum-Mania site, and this blog. Keep it up, I'll try to check back in.

Duke
Sad but probably true insights, Duke. Thanks for sharing.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#1165 Post by J.J. Walters »

Duke wrote:The price is coming down, and be certain that there are developers watching that. When I spoke to the realtor last March, she made it clear that the property could and likely would be subdivided into up to three separate lots...however, she explained that in doing so, there would be significant legal issues with which to contend.

Duke
Hi, Duke!

Thank you so much for these updates! We really appreciate it!

"Please God, if you are listening, I promise to not ask for anything ever again... Please let the price on Pahonu drop another 2-4 million, preferably 4 million, so Duke can purchase the property and restore it to Magnum glory for all to see and enjoy. Thank you, God." Not sure if that will work or not, but I tried. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lui
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1166 Post by lui »

Hallo together, i´m from germany and i am coming to Oahu in the middle of November... i´m so happy about that. Magnum p.i. is my favorit tv show from the beginning in the 80`s! Now i read this and i asking myself...ist Robins Nest there when i´m coming in november :? ????? I`m so afraid that the estate are modify and i cant see the original!!!!! Please can you tell me something about that??? :oops:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1167 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome lui :magnum: !

You're in the right place if Magnum is your favorite show. Good people, great site, and getting better every day.

Can't tell you allot about visiting Oahu, as I've never had the pleasure, but several here have, so they will chime in eventually, to share their experience and wisdom about it with you.

I do know that no one is ever allowed on the grounds, at least not up to this point. From what I understand, you can drive by the front, fly over the top and are free to make your way to the tidal pool and swim in the same space as Magnum, and can even walk up to the rear gate and peer in, but nobody gets access.

Those that have been, can tell you much more about how to go about seeing what you are allowed to, and if you do a couple searches here on the forum, you will also find quite a bit of information on the subject.

Good voyage to you when the time comes, and don't forget to take pictures and share them here with the rest of us!

:magnum:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1168 Post by KENJI »

lui wrote:Hallo together, i´m from germany and i am coming to Oahu in the middle of November... i´m so happy about that. Magnum p.i. is my favorit tv show from the beginning in the 80`s! Now i read this and i asking myself...ist Robins Nest there when i´m coming in november :? ????? I`m so afraid that the estate are modify and i cant see the original!!!!! Please can you tell me something about that??? :oops:
Hi Lui,

If you are going next month in November you will see the original with no modifications other than the new roof tile color being different. Having said that the place is tired looking with plenty of overgrowth so you might be a bit disappointed if you are hoping to see the immaculate grounds of the 1980's. Your viewpoints are limited and hard to see inside, but the tidal pool is always nice to visit. The front gate is different from the show, but you get a decent look at the gatehouse from there. There are quite a few pics posted of the place on this site that will give you a better idea of what it looks like today. I suggest you have a look at them and prepare yourself. It's still worth a visit!

lui
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1169 Post by lui »

Thank you for asking...308...when i can see the estate from the waterside and the street it will be a big moment for me. It is not important that i can in the estate, it is anyway impossible. My anxiety is, that the building is modify or the house is demolished. :roll:
Swimming in the tidal pool....oh yes...it is the other big moment on this trip. After that we can do the other things which my wife is talking about... :lol: :lol: :lol:

lui
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1170 Post by lui »

KENJI wrote:
lui wrote:Hallo together, i´m from germany and i am coming to Oahu in the middle of November... i´m so happy about that. Magnum p.i. is my favorit tv show from the beginning in the 80`s! Now i read this and i asking myself...ist Robins Nest there when i´m coming in november :? ????? I`m so afraid that the estate are modify and i cant see the original!!!!! Please can you tell me something about that??? :oops:
Hi Lui,

If you are going next month in November you will see the original with no modifications other than the new roof tile color being different. Having said that the place is tired looking with plenty of overgrowth so you might be a bit disappointed if you are hoping to see the immaculate grounds of the 1980's. Your viewpoints are limited and hard to see inside, but the tidal pool is always nice to visit. The front gate is different from the show, but you get a decent look at the gatehouse from there. There are quite a few pics posted of the place on this site that will give you a better idea of what it looks like today. I suggest you have a look at them and prepare yourself. It's still worth a visit!
Thank you for asking , too!
I see any pictures from the estate and i know that the house, garden and the other`s is not in so good conditions! it does not matter...it is Robins Nest!!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1171 Post by KENJI »

No demolition yet Lui, so you can relax.
Have a great trip!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1172 Post by 308GUY »

lui:

If you have the computing "power" and the time, take a look at Rubber Chicken's Guide-Magnum PI Locations. You will have to download the program, but the instructions are there on the first page of the Magnum Mania home page, which you can get to by clicking on the logo at the top of every page, including this one. That's provided you don't already know about it.

The guide will show you many points of interest to make your Oahu experience a unique Magnum PI experience.

Have fun! :magnum:

lui
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1173 Post by lui »

Yeah, thats great! Thank you...theres some places, which i don`t have on my list.
Today i booked a hour with T.C.`s Iland Hoppers helicopter. It`s a beautifull replica and it is another highlight in our time on Oahu. Mmmhh, i think it is...i never flight with a helicopter before :roll:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1174 Post by Steve »

lui wrote:Yeah, thats great! Thank you...theres some places, which i don`t have on my list.
Today i booked a hour with T.C.`s Iland Hoppers helicopter. It`s a beautifull replica and it is another highlight in our time on Oahu. Mmmhh, i think it is...i never flight with a helicopter before :roll:
You will want to check the tide charts when you are going to see The Estate as low tide makes for an easier walk from the parking lot at Kaiona Beach along the beach to the Tidal Pool.
Here is a good tidal chart site to check for low tide.
http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/in ... i&zipcode=

lui
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1175 Post by lui »

Thank you for the link! is it a good parking at Kaiona Beach?