The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:And I've been meaning to see the Hawaii Five-0 episodes which include the Anderson Estate. Is there a list of these episodes anywhere? I've watched the show from time to time but I don't remember seeing the estate.
A Magnum fan (Pete) recently informed me that the Anderson Estate shows up in two Season 2 Hawaii Five-O episodes - "Forty Feet High and It Kills" and "Sweet Terror". Season 2 of HFO was recently released on DVD. The estate is also used in the series finale "Woe to Wo Fat", and possibly others.
Pete wrote:"Sweet Terror" has what appears to be, actual shots from the interior of the home, most notably, the entryway. There is also a good scene from the boathouse (guesthouse), as well. Overall, there are also a few shots that give a good indication of how the grounds are laid out, compared to the confusing way portrayed on Magnum.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#22 Post by golfmobile »

Oh, great! NOW we have to go buy HFO-2 just to see Robin's Nest!

Does it never end . . . . . ?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Sam »

And I've been meaning to see the Hawaii Five-0 episodes which include the Anderson Estate. Is there a list of these episodes anywhere? I've watched the show from time to time but I don't remember seeing the estate.

HI RC...James has given you 3 and I'll add 2 more.

From season 4..While You're at it.Bring in the Moon...

From season 5..You Don't Have to Kill to get Rich,But it Helps..In this episode the grounds,tidal pool and house were used..William Shatner and Al Harrington can be seen climbing up a trellis to the second floor small balcony on the ocean side,to a bedroom.I don't believe the bedroom scene was at the estate.

I know there are 3 or 4 more episodes and I'll to recall them.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Awesome Sam! Thanks!
Sam wrote:From season 5..You Don't Have to Kill to get Rich,But it Helps..In this episode the grounds,tidal pool and house were used..William Shatner and Al Harrington can be seen climbing up a trellis to the second floor small balcony on the ocean side,to a bedroom.I don't believe the bedroom scene was at the estate.
:shock:

William Shatner's at the estate!? It doesn't get much better than that!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Sam »

Yeah..The house has a long history..I also think it was used in Jake and the Fatman or One West Waikiki.

James..I'm trying to do some screen captures..actually digital camera shots from the TV.I have a few.Can I email them to you to see what you think..As you can imagine the quality is not great.

OOPS..the pics are interior shots of the estate.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#26 Post by golfmobile »

Sam,

If you happen to have WinDVD as the program for playing DVDs on your computer, you can do "Captures," or screenshots, while the show is playing. Just check the Help file and it'll tell you how to do it. If you can't find it, let me know, and I'll try to give you some instructions. Then you can upload the photos to a free photo hosting site like www.dropshots.com or the like and from there get the "Properties" of the picture and cut and paste into images that will post in a thread. Those are pretty abbreviated instructions. PM me if you can get the screenshots in the first place and then we can give you better step-by-step instructions if you need them.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Sam »

Thanks Golf...I've filed your info for future reference.

Unfortunately that won't work in this case.I'm trying to get screen captures from the last episode of Hawaii Five-O from the DVR.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#28 Post by golfmobile »

Sam,

AH! Yes, that is difficult unless you have really expensive hardware to get the show from the DVR to the computer. I have the Dazzle 80 hardware, but it captures the video at 320 resolution, which really s**ks, so you're right: It's a better picture when you simply take a snapshot of the TV screen while the show is playing.

Unless, of course, you have a DVD recorder hooked up to your DVR, so you can record the show/movie to DVD, then play it on the computer, THEN capture the screenshots. We have the DVR hooked up to a DVD/VCR combination recorder/player (which I guarantee you was under $200, or Larry wouldn't have let me get it!). Now that I've learned how to record the DVD from the DVR (the trick is to "finalize" it) so it will play on another player, I'm having a ball getting these screenshots.

That's what I finally did with The Chinese Connection.

And, hey, DVD recorder prices have really dropped recently, I think you can get one for about $50 now.

By the way, on what channel is H50 playing? I can trying DVR'ing it and can get pictures. Just tell me what channel, when, where, which episode, etc. I have DirecTV so if the channel is not in its line-up, then we're back to Square One, Option Two (buy the DVD recorder)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Sam »

Golf,

Looks like I'll need to invest in a DVD/recorder to get the screencaps.Maybe I'll head to Best Buy this weekend and see what's available.

Thank you for your offer to DVR H50 but unfortunately it is shown on a local independent station.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#30 Post by J.J. Walters »

If anyone gets a chance to get a screen cap (or better yet, a video clip) of William Shatner (as Texas P.I. Sam Tolliver) running loose on the estate in H50's "You Don't Have to Kill to Get Rich, But It Helps" (S5), please do so! I simply MUST see this! :)

Tuan Vu
Captain

#31 Post by Tuan Vu »

Here's a great website with relatively recent (2002) photos, and a great forum about the Anderson Estate and how it related to the Magnum P.I. and Hawaii Five-O episodes:

http://www.pbase.com/goislands/2002_10_02_mpi_estate

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#32 Post by golfmobile »

James,

Haven't found a picture yet, but found this:

Original air date: 9/26/72

William Shatner hams his way through his role as Texas private investigator Sam Tolliver who visits Hawaii to help his friend Wallace Shuster (Bill Edwards) get free of an insidous blackmail scheme, but ends up wanting to get in on the operation himself. Shatner seems to be having a good time, overpronouncing words like "bid-ness" and "dee-vorce" with a thick accent. Marlow plays William Speer, boss of the blackmailers, and does a good job, but lacks a certain malevolent omnipresence which one might expect. McGarrett orders the Five-O crew to check "every company that uses telex communications." Tolliver uses a videotape machine to turn the tables on Larry Toba (Tom Fujiwara), one of the blackmailers, and there is mention of satellite technology. The script wraps up things a bit too quickly at the end. Tolliver's family are being held captive back in Texas by associates of Speer, but once the bad guys are captured, McGarrett merely throws the matter over to the Texas cops to deal with and the show ends! A "real" phone number -- 589-0589 -- is used. Interestingly, McGarrett and Tolliver meet only at the end and are never seen in the same shot! I wonder if the fact that Jack Lord was under consideration for Captain Kirk in Star Trek (until he asked for too much money) resulted in some kind of ill feelings between himself and Shatner?
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cool, thanks golf! I gotta see it!
I wonder if the fact that Jack Lord was under consideration for Captain Kirk in Star Trek (until he asked for too much money) resulted in some kind of ill feelings between himself and Shatner?
Somehow, I doubt it. In 1972, Star Trek was a failure, both commercially and critically. Shatner was virtually broke (at one time living out of an old camper) and was looking for any kind of work he could find! In 1972, Jack Lord towered over Shatner in terms of popularity.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

Check this out. My friend Pete sent me some screen caps of the two Season Two Hawaii Five-O episodes that feature the Anderson Estate. This would be circa 1969!

"Forty Feet High and It Kills!"

Gatehouse

From Balcony, looking north

"Sweet Terror"

McGarrett is entering the main house!

Another chopper on the lawn

The Estate

Pretty darn cool! :D

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#35 Post by IslandHopper »

Very cool James. Thanks.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)