Best and weakest seasons!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

UHmanoa-guy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Best and weakest seasons!

#46 Post by UHmanoa-guy »

From best to worst (lets be clear: for me all seasons are good to great depending on what season it is)
8 (because it was too short and the series ended :( )

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by KingKC »

I have been agonizing over this issue for the whole time I have been a member which is all of about six weeks. I think I have the results of my personal favorites. From best to less best....(because all of them had at least some redeeming qualities)

1 - clear winner
2 - pretty strong second
7 - came back strong from weak 5 and 6 season
8 - almost a tie with 7
3 - still holding pretty strong
4 - fading but only a little
5 - considerably weaker after Echoes of the Mind and Macs Back
6 - definitely the weakest

Again I reserve the right to change my mind after I sleep on it....lol.

KingKC

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#48 Post by ☨magnum.t »

This is a very interesting topic indeed. I have to agree with most about 1, 2, 3 being the most enjoyable and really setting the example for what Magnum is. It's funny though that most people put season 7 in the middle or bottom of the list and yet 5 of the top 10 episodes as ranked on the site are from Season 7, and 1 episode being from season 8. Season 1 doesn't even have a top 10 appearance. Although I put J. Digger as top episode of all time for the simple fact that it has every element of what Magnum should be even with some smaller plot holes it really has it all.
That reminds me of the time....

jeffran
Captain

#49 Post by jeffran »

This may be controversial, but I'm a season 1-4 guy. While there are several good - maybe great - episodes post season-4, the tone of the show changed sufficiently that I don't enjoy those seasons.

Given that, my ranking would be:

S3
S4
S2
S1

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#50 Post by Styles Bitchley »

jeffran wrote:This may be controversial, but I'm a season 1-4 guy. While there are several good - maybe great - episodes post season-4, the tone of the show changed sufficiently that I don't enjoy those seasons.

S3
S4
S2
S1
As in, you don’t even like any episodes post season 4?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

jeffran
Captain

#51 Post by jeffran »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
jeffran wrote:This may be controversial, but I'm a season 1-4 guy. While there are several good - maybe great - episodes post season-4, the tone of the show changed sufficiently that I don't enjoy those seasons.

S3
S4
S2
S1
As in, you don’t even like any episodes post season 4?
No, there are some good ones, but overall I think the tone of the show became more serious, less fun, and less about the core group of characters.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Same here - but I'll also watch a couple early season 5 episodes. As you say, there are a few good episodes in later seasons, but they feel different. (I've analyzed many reasons for the change, but I won't bore people by going into details.)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#53 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
Same here - but I'll also watch a couple early season 5 episodes. As you say, there are a few good episodes in later seasons, but they feel different. (I've analyzed many reasons for the change, but I won't bore people by going into details.)
Really? You do know who your audience is, right? :)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

jeffran
Captain

#54 Post by jeffran »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
I wouldn't mind the details!

I have a hypothesis - no data - but I think the arrival of Miami Vice, which was relatively edgy and dark (and certainly not fun IMO), perhaps led to the writers striking a similar tone with MPI.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#55 Post by marlboro »

jeffran wrote:I have a hypothesis - no data - but I think the arrival of Miami Vice, which was relatively edgy and dark (and certainly not fun IMO), perhaps led to the writers striking a similar tone with MPI.

Miami Vice was hugely influential on some of the later episodes. Death and Taxes and Laura are the best examples. But after those two there are only 2 or 3 more that had that MV vibe, I think. I honestly think the later seasons may be a bit lighter than the first 4.

I think that the main issue is that the writing just isn't as good. I think I've read that Donald Bellisario took a step back from the series around the half way point, and I think his steadying hand was missed. I think there were still a lot of great episodes in those later years, but the hit to miss ratio took a swing after Bellisario left. So you end up with Jim"Mac"Bonnick, Higgins as Robin, Magnum acting more childish, Rick being relegated to comic relief a lot of the time, etc.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#56 Post by Styles Bitchley »

marlboro wrote:
jeffran wrote:I have a hypothesis - no data - but I think the arrival of Miami Vice, which was relatively edgy and dark (and certainly not fun IMO), perhaps led to the writers striking a similar tone with MPI.

Miami Vice was hugely influential on some of the later episodes. Death and Taxes and Laura are the best examples. But after those two there are only 2 or 3 more that had that MV vibe, I think. I honestly think the later seasons may be a bit lighter than the first 4.

I think that the main issue is that the writing just isn't as good. I think I've read that Donald Bellisario took a step back from the series around the half way point, and I think his steadying hand was missed. I think there were still a lot of great episodes in those later years, but the hit to miss ratio took a swing after Bellisario left. So you end up with Jim"Mac"Bonnick, Higgins as Robin, Magnum acting more childish, Rick being relegated to comic relief a lot of the time, etc.
Mues to all of this!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Thomas Tinto
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#57 Post by Thomas Tinto »

:idea: help!!! here I go against the majority!
best seasons:
S7
S3
S6 (although some don't like it)
S2
S4

weakest seasons:
S1 (I know, it's a fan favorite, but I personally found it the weakest of all seasons)
S5
S8 (if wasn't one of the best is because it only has 13 syndicated episodes)

So, I feel bad to say that I don't like the first season because that's where the show took off and the fans like it a lot, but I can't get into it because the I don't find most of the episodes very exceptional. Maybe it's the weakest due to the terrible 'Missing in action' which in my opinion is the worst episode of all time?
On the contrary, the sixth season is one of the fans' least favorites while I find it very solid because most of the episodes were light-hearted and very cheerful and the absence of Robin's nest in the first few episodes offered a fresh adventure and pulled the show a bit out of the ordinary. 'the treasure of Kalaniopu'u' is one of my all time favorites!
Last edited by Thomas Tinto on Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thomas Tinto
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#58 Post by Thomas Tinto »

if PERHAPS I don't write very well in English it's because I'm Italian and I write everything in Italian and have it translated into English by Google Translate. The seventh season episodes "Forty" and "The aunt who came to dinner" are unreleased in Italy and were only broadcast by the Sky pay-TV channel "Fox Retro" in the original language with Italian subtitles. Thought I'd mention it
Last edited by Thomas Tinto on Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Chris109 »

Thomas Tinto wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:16 pm if I don't write very well in English it's because I'm Italian and I write everything in Italian and have it translated into English by Google Translate. The seventh season episodes "Forty" and "The aunt who came to dinner" are unreleased in Italy and were only broadcast by the Sky pay-TV channel "Fox Retro" in the original language with Italian subtitles. Thought I'd mention it
Benvenuti a bordo, Thomas
Last edited by Chris109 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#60 Post by Aloha Friday »

I prefer the earlier seasons to the later ones. They are all great, but season 7 and 8 seem to be much darker, more serious...I blame Miami Vice. Genesis music and all.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia