At what age did you introduce your kids to Magnum?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

At what age did you introduce your kids to Magnum?

#1 Post by eagle »

Hi, all.

At what age did you introduce your kids to Magnum? I'd love to introduce my oldest (10 years old this month), but that seems young to me. I didn't even really watch the show when it was first-run in the 80s -- I was a teen, and my parents didn't approve of that. I saw a few eps as a teen, but I really started watching it when I became an adult.

I think I can introduce him to CHiPs now, but not sure about Magnum yet... maybe another few years.

Just curious as to what others do/have done.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: At what age did you introduce your kids to Magnum?

#2 Post by marlboro »

The sooner the better.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

You think 10 is too young to watch Magnum? That's odd. I always thought Magnum was a family show tame enough for 6 year-olds.

It's the modern stuff you should keep your kids away from. Television has changed from entertainment to brainwashing propaganda.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by eagle »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:You think 10 is too young to watch Magnum? That's odd. I always thought Magnum was a family show tame enough for 6 year-olds.
Thanks for the feedback.
It's the modern stuff you should keep your kids away from. Television has changed from entertainment to brainwashing propaganda.
I definitely do this. We have an extremely small list of shows that our kids are allowed to watch. "Wild Kratts" and one or two others...

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I think it depends greatly on the episodes you introduce them to. I started a thread a while back trying to figure out the best kid friendly episodes: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=33303
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by eagle »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I think it depends greatly on the episodes you introduce them to. I started a thread a while back trying to figure out the best kid friendly episodes: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=33303
Thanks! I'll check that out.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

I would watch the show with my son on my lap when he was a baby. The karma and magic of the show just never kicked in (goes for my wife as well). They just think my love of the show is another one of the old mans eccentricities......and, man what a struggle it was to let me spend not even 30 minutes at The Estate on out 2007 trip to Oahu!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

My boys (10 and 8) have grown up watching episodes with me, but they aren’t super into it. They love that I am though and will ask to watch an ep here and there because they know it’s likely to get them some bonus screen time! We all watch the Christmas episode each year. The kids love some of the slapstick bits in that (with Rick and the praying mantis and falling into the quicksand).
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Rolie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by Rolie »

It just so happened that all of our boys and girls were conceived at the Magnum hour back in the eights and have been listening to me since talk and talk about the tall tales of brother Magnum. Today I made a new commitment to loose a little weight, grow my stash back, and get back in to the Magnum state of mind once again. Actually it's never been absent but what the heck, life is short - live it well. Still miss the magnum-pi forum back in the early 2000's. Here we go.... Rolie.

TSM308
Captain

#10 Post by TSM308 »

Mine were 7 - shortly before our first trip to Oahu.
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

Rands
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Rands »

My children who were born in the early 80s, grew up watching Magnum. My employment frequently took me from home, and my daughters enjoyed staying up watching TV with me. Some of the more "difficult" subjects were topics of conversation afterwards, with the military scenes a reality in my household. It was often a mechanism for them to understand the reason why I was gone so frequently, often with little notice. My youngest, now 35, still watches the program.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by perfectlykevin »

My son was started early though I don't know what age exactly. And even then just some of the light-hearted episodes. As he got older we watched more of those. I can't say he is super in to it now but it definitely made an impression at the time :)

Rolie, good to see you here!! :)

Kev

TBOU
Lieutenant

#13 Post by TBOU »

Four, but with very carefully selected episodes: Ugliest Dog, Thank Heaven for Little Girls, etc.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by K Hale »

I don’t have kids but I was 9 when the pilot aired. My parents and I watched the series regularly. Depending on how sensitive the child is, most episodes should be just fine. I can recall being a little upset over “Black on White” and the cage torture scene in “Did You See the Sunrise,” which I found very shocking. Other than that, it was pretty tame stuff.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#15 Post by Mr. Keoki »

I watch the show and my kids have been watching it with me since they were little. From 3 years old to still watching today (8 years old for my youngest). They'll occasionally ask you some interesting questions, but the show is really PG. There are a few exceptions, namely echoes of the mind. Don't want to explain suicide.

So I agree with Marlboro- "the younger the better"

It made going to the tide pool that much more special when we did it, because the entire family was excited. Not just me and the kids want to do something dumb somewhere else.

:luther:
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"